When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A new crystal improves the SSD V2

alligoat

Five or six months ago, maybe more, I picked up a SSD V2 from Puretime. It was one of the last Polizia di Stato models. Good old SN of Z539117. Well I sent it off to jmb for lugholes drilling and then I put in a Yuki matte dial

16660.jpg

That yellow was killing me so I sent it off to PBdad for a relume which turned out great- not that my iPhone photo skiills improved!

photo21.jpg

But the wok was still bothering me. That's when jmb said he was working on a new SSD crystal and wondered if I could sent him my sloped V2 crystal so he could measure it, etc. I went straight home and uncased the movement, popped the crystal and had it off in the mail that afternoon.

It took him a while to get the crystals but last week I got my old crystal back and the new one.

This new one is 29.5mm, same as the SSD V2, but it's 2.5mm tall and has a very slight bevel at the top. But the nice thing about it is that it pretty much de-emphasizes the wok because of the straight sides of the crystal. It's hard to tell from this close-up photo, but at a foot away, the rehaut wok isn't very noticeable.

photo26.jpg

This is a close up pic, but I'll work on a better pic later. I also have access to a SSD V1 and might make a few comparisons if my nephew will let me borrow his watch for a while.

Here's a side shot of the new crystal

photo.jpg

You can see the straight sides. I borrowed a pick of a gen 16660 to give you some comparison

2794230_IMG-1756-edited-1.jpg

Pretty close to the new crystal on my SSD V2. This is a pretty easy mod to do and it really saved the V2 for me- I was close to giving up on the watch due to the wokky case, but now it doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

I don't have any of these crystals. I had a need for a crystal and after I came up with this as a possible replacement I ordered an extra and sent it to Mr. Goat for him to play around with.

You can order this crystal from Jules Borel under part number MG25 295.

rosnik,

JMB drilled the lugholes, it's a 16600 SSD V2 case and the old 16660 matte dial from Yuki, relumed by PBdad.

Omega can drill lugholes over in your neck of the woods- I have one of his old noob cases which I made into a 16800. Or you could get w/ JMB and send a case over here, maybe the bracelet also.

Thanks grifter and Ephry.

Marty, I'm not sure about the datewheel yet- either the printing is slightly off or I'll have to adjust the dial. The datewheel is silver with open 6's and 9's- kinda like the ones that came out in the first 16800's. A carry over from the 1680's which had silver DWs.

I'm not sure I follow you kbh, it's a Z539117. It's a V2 all day long.

Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time). The first pictures sure looked way more "wokky" than my SSD. But, that is the same serial number as on my v1.

I could have sworn that Jackjo or one of the modders had said ealier that those Polizia di Stato models were a different case back when the SSD's became scarce. Sorry about the mix up.

rosnik,

JMB drilled the lugholes, it's a 16600 SSD V2 case and the old 16660 matte dial from Yuki, relumed by PBdad.

Omega can drill lugholes over in your neck of the woods- I have one of his old noob cases which I made into a 16800. Or you could get w/ JMB and send a case over here, maybe the bracelet also.

thank you alligoat!

Compliments to JMB for the nice work.

I'll contact Omega soon, he's UE based,

I suppose JMB is Conus based.

Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time). The first pictures sure looked way more "wokky" than my SSD. But, that is the same serial number as on my v1.

I could have sworn that Jackjo or one of the modders had said ealier that those Polizia di Stato models were a different case back when the SSD's became scarce. Sorry about the mix up.

My nephew's V1 is F539117 and it's definitely a little less wokky than my V2. The old original crystal might have helped that and yours could easily be a late V1 w/ the Z SN. I still can't figure out if the case changed between V1 and V2 or it was just the crystal that brought out the wok in V2.

I do think there have been some later Polizia di Statos which are not noob cases- the rep market is always changing.

Dremel, various abrasives and tape everything else off. It won't be pretty, but you can do it.

E

LOL, I did just that and it was a slow and laborious project- not worth it IMO.

Yuki dial- 27.4mm

ID of wok- 26.26

I ground off .2mm and finally put a brushed finish on the rehaut in an attempt to make it disappear.

I sold the Polizia di Stato SD dial, so I don't remember what the OD of it was

I just ordered some white datewheel overlays with round 3's and open 6 and 9's from cubic works.

You should slap one on and really set your 666 on fire!

Grif, those old cubic works DWs are long gone, now they're just the modern ones w/ closed 6's and 9's. JMB would be your best bet at this point.

I didn't snap a pic of the original V2 crystal, it was almost 3.0mm tall with sloped sides- nothing like the gen. I borrowed this pic from RG- it's about what mine looked like

DSC029831.jpg

I looked at your SSD, Star69 and it looks like a V1 to me- they weren't as bad crystal wise.