When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I did something Crazy with my strap

fotoman

So, I was thinking how to inexpensively put some change into the watch collection and one of the main thing i did was upgrade my straps. I also realized the Sinn regulator pieces which are more than super awesome, kind of have that iwc pilot feel. The bezel is almost non existant and its a relatively simple dial and i thought, you know what, i bet a rivet strap would be cool.

So i went to panatime and found one that was perfect - This is for the black dial sinn. - reveal of the piece will be done when i'm finished with the 2nd half of the project below.

Got the strap it was nice soft and awesome except WOAH, its not black. I ordered Black, but when you put it next to black as you see below, its clearly more Greyish Green. I asked panatime about it, and they said they agree and will change the labeling of the strap. They also were happy to take it back as they stand behind their straps. - Only problem is, the other rivet straps were sold out, and I really liked this one compared to the other design.

Here is the color of the strap compared to the wearing side which actually is black

strap2.jpg

So, i was thinking Hmm. Can i dye it? If you notice the strap is "sueaded" And i was Like hmm, that suaded feel should take to a coloring well as opposed to most other leather.

So, the issue is, what do I use to dye it? How do I make it black without ruining the strap. Well, i had an idea and tested it on the back of one of the strap loops and it was not bad. So i went ahead and did a whole half of the strap.

I used a method that was very slow and meticulous, applying the color in light and even patches then massaging and working the leather so it evened out. For Just the half of the strap i have finished, It took almost 3 hrs. I'm sure i could have done it better or more effeciently but, i didn't and i had fun. I used heat -friction to work the color into leather. In fact, both of my thumbs got huge blisters. :) it was worth it. its always cool to look down at something you worked on with your own hands and feel accomplished. Its not digital its not virtual its real. I got the same joy from making Pens.

So - Here it is now, the finished half strap vs. the origional leather.

strap1.jpg

The finished product has leather jacket, sort of feel to it. Before and after the strap is extremely soft and very very comfortable.

Its hard to totally capture the strap, it does have that feature of suede in that if you run your finger over it you can change the reflections. The only thing I am not thrilled about it, is the stitching really adds to the astetics of the strap. It frames the strap. I may pull out the existing thread and restitch with white (which augments the white on the watch dial) If you make straps and I'm nuts about trying to re stitch not having done it before, please let me know.

So the final photo is The new strap compared to the underside of the stock strap to compare blacks

strap3.jpg

So, let me know what you think, i'm interested to hear your opinion before i share the remainder of my process.

I like it and like the darker stitching - well done

Thanks. I will reserve final judgement on the stitching until I get it all done and on the watch. When I had both halves with 1 done and 1 the old way with white stitching, it looked a lot better. The case is stainless. Ohhh you know what would be awesome? Lite black/ bead blasted grey dlc coating on the case. Hmm. Well 1 thing at a time :) thanks for checking it out. More to be revealed on my how to make a strap black with stuff from around the house at 2:00 am :)