When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Submariner Housing Gen 3135 & Gen Parts (Part I)

tc670207

Part I

A member asked me if the TC Submariner watchcase can take gen parts. I didn't know what does that mean at first. After massively reading and researching the forums, I conclude "taking gen parts" by strict definition, means the watchcase should be able to

1. house gen 3135 movement without any modification, that is to say the gen dial should flush into the watchcase opening without any modifcation as well.

2. take gen 2.5 mm gasket and gen 25-295-c crystal and the magnification should still reads at 2.5x.

3. tube takes gen crown with no problem.

4. bezel assembly takes gen bezel insert.

5. take gen caseback.

So I'm determined to make an experiment on the TC Sub watchcase I brought back. An experiment that may damage my gen Submariner - I am going to swap the gen guts into the TC Sub watchcase, and see if all these gen parts could fit on it.

Let's take a final good look at the gen Submariner one last time.

tcsubmarinerwatchcaseho.jpg

Here is the TC Submariner watchcase that is ready to receive transplant. Note that the laser etching "X" is aligned to the tube. This is a good sign of attending to details.

Gen Submariner 16610 crown guard shape:

TC Submariner crown guard shape:

Ok, let's open the gen Sub caseback:

Gen Rolex 3135 movement. It is beautiful!

Note the screws on the sides of the 3135 movement. This is how Rolex mounts its movement to the watchcase.

Let's then check the crown and tube:

There are 2 O-rings within the tube:

Let's make a side by side comparison of gen caseback (to the left) and TC Submariner caseback (to the right). The diameters of the two casebacks are the same. So I assume gen caseback could fit on TC Sub watchcase and vise versa. Finish of the gen caseback looks better though.

Then the lugs shape:

tcsubmarinerwatchcasehou.jpg

Other observations:

I noticed my gen Submariner's 25-295-c crystal has an AR coating applied underneath the cyclops. I looked my other gen, a 2002 k-series Yacht-Master, a 2006 z-series two-tone Submariner, and found there's no AR coating applied underneath the cyclops. I don't know if it is a new upgrade, but it does make easier to read the date through cyclops.

Here's one thing I found TC Sub watchcase is different from the gen. This is gen movement receiving hole:

Here's TC Sub watchcase movement receiving hole. Note the gen receiving hole is located at 8 o'clock with a slightly bigger R curve. TC Sub watchcase has a smaller R curve receiving hole located at 9 o'clock.

Nonetheless the gen dial and 3135 movement flushes into TC Sub watchcase smoothly.

Placing a silicone oil greased O-ring:

Unscrewing the screws until they touches the watchcase chapter and fastened the movement to the watchcase:

Let's see how gen caseback fits on TC Sub watchcase. Fits perfectly.

Let's see how the laser engravings aligns with gen dial minute lines:

tcsubmarinerwatchcasehoc.jpg

Let's see how a gen 25-295-c crystal with a 2.5mm gasket fits. This is taken from my gen Sub LV.

tcsubmarinerwatchcasehoh.jpg

Other observations:

My gen Sub LV is of m-series. The crystal does not have AR applied underneath the cyclops, so I believe it must be an upgraded feature since v-series. My gen Sub 16610 is v-series.

End of Part I

From the blog post you can see the bezel teeth do not seem as deep as the gen.

So it seems we have a great case, but I still wonder two things are the lugs actually 20mm. And what about a rep dial? Not complaining at all, this is a huge leap forward for the community. Just sparking further discussion :).

Yeah the bezel is below par yet again. Why do they never get the teeth good!

The case is great apart from the rehaut engraving. Puzzled as to why they overcomplicate the process of coying the case by wanting to add this feature as many would never want it and also many do not like it on gen Rolex either! me included!!

Great work TC so get ready to sell many of these!!

I have a suspicion though that we will see completed watches soon using this case and the updated 2nd generatoin of the 3135 so called clone movement!

Who sells this case?

I bought this case in HK.

One note.

A Lot of members here are Sub freaks like me for a long time.

Now you come to RWG and take the"who has the best Sub" to a new Level.

That's the first time that a member comes with his own sourced Sub in parts.

Simply amazing.

Thanks for that.

Thanks for compliment, Tribal.

TC,

I am in awe. thank you for the amazing work.

question for you, is the tc case actually 20mm at the lugs? or 20.13ish like the sean case?

and can you get a rep dial that fits in the case and is accurate!

M

I did a quick measurement using my caliber, it is 20.17 mm

Are you selling these "TC" cases? If so, you better be getting thousands of them! Every Sub fan and his brother will want one! HaHa

Excellent write up, looking forward to more!

I'll consider it.

I would love to know, as I am sure everyone would, where you can get one of these and how much they are?

The watchcase kit is one of the 3 things I think expansive but its quality made me believe I could build a very good Sub rep base on it.

I brought back 5 in my last trip. It is $180 each but there are 3 of m-series and only 2 of v-series. I thought they were the same at first but later I found v-series have better crown guard shape than m-series. I don't know if I'm being had or this is just a business trick my seller played on me.

http://tc-submariner.blogspot.com/?m=0

More news soon i guess?

Just as long he dosent call himself wm10 or somthing with wm in the future ;)

What is wm10?

Yeah the bezel is below par yet again. Why do they never get the teeth good!

The case is great apart from the rehaut engraving. Puzzled as to why they overcomplicate the process of coying the case by wanting to add this feature as many would never want it and also many do not like it on gen Rolex either! me included!!

Great work TC so get ready to sell many of these!!

I have a suspicion though that we will see completed watches soon using this case and the updated 2nd generatoin of the 3135 so called clone movement!

I'll check that with the N-factory owner during my CNY visit.

The WM10 comment is referring to the now ceased WM9(watchmaker9) from Taiwan and wondering if this is where WM9 left off I guess.

You say the case came from HK, looking at the case it shouts Taiwan made rather than mainland China. There were connections of sorts between George(WM9) and the Noob factory so it could be something on the horizon and maybe from the same factory that WM9's came out of in the good old days.

I think this thread needs pinning admin as it's a big development for the Sub fans!

The WM10 comment is referring to the now ceased WM9(watchmaker9) from Taiwan and wondering if this is where WM9 left off I guess.

You say the case came from HK, looking at the case it shouts Taiwan made rather than mainland China. There were connections of sorts between George(WM9) and the Noob factory so it could be something on the horizon and maybe from the same factory that WM9's came out of in the good old days.

I think this thread needs pinning admin as it's a big development for the Sub fans!

+1 P, I've a bunch of ideas about this cases ;)

Let's organize a group buy pals !

Guest zeleni kukuruz

+1 P, I've a bunch of ideas about this cases ;)

Let's organize a group buy pals !

Group buy???? Are you sure??? After all that in the past???

TC, you dont know what you have started!!! Your sitting on a golden egg here!!! Now the ball is with you, play safe and smart, deliver in time and you will be a millioner in 6monthes :)

And i guess just put BK out of the sub game fir sure!