When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What did I buy for $25.00 at the pawn shop today?

FloridaSam

I stopped by a pawn shop today to look for a guitar amp and stumbled upon this. It was amongst a bunch of broken Armitrons and Fossils in the display cabinet. Its beat up pretty bad. The crown wouldn't screw down, its missing its pearl, it looks like it was used to grind rebar at some point in its life. I'm no expert at all but something about this intrigued me. First, it was certainly an ETA movement. High beat, and the feel and quickset are text book ETA. Secondly the band threw me for a loop. Its been abused. HEAVILY abused.......yet the gold shows no sign of wear. If this was plated, or even "wrapped" with the gouges, scrapes, scratches and chunks missing some base metal would show. None. My spidey senses were telling me this MIGHT have solid gold middle links.

Due to the overall condition of the piece I offered $25.00 out the the door and my offer was quickly accepted.

I took the bracelet off and saw what I expected... the W860168 serial number which upon Google search is a known rep number.

I then used a bit of elbow grease and metal polish and the band shined up VERY nicely. A trip to a local jewler friend of mine confiemed that the bracelet links are between 10k and 14k solid! What do I have here? Anyone seen or have one like this? The watch itself is certainly no super rep... the date is off center, the crown is well....horrendous... but the crystal is superb, the lume on the dial is sublime, bright and grogeous cream color that looks great. The dial print is ok, not the sharpest I have seen by any stretch. The pearl is currently a piece of soap :) to fill the hole, and the watch is pretty dusty.

Is the head worth sinking money into? It will need a new crown, tube and possibly dial, hands, insert and pearl. I'm not sure what to do with this...or just wear it as is, it has a unique patina of a almost 20 year old sub that's lived a rough life. For $25.00 I'm pertty darn happy with this bracelet alone....any idea what the bracelet is worth?

o5zwi0.jpg

11bp4pl.jpg

2jt9gg.jpg

9vcrig.jpg

i3t0uw.jpg

I've done a lot of research into gen vs. rep clasps, and the wear of this one is throwing me off. On one hand, the engraving in 93153 and V1X1 look too good to be rep, but then Rolex itself looks off... I think that may be a reeeaaaalllly good rep bracelet.

I've done a lot of research into gen vs. rep clasps, and the wear of this one is throwing me off. On one hand, the engraving in 93153 and V1X1 look too good to be rep, but then Rolex itself looks off... I think that may be a reeeaaaalllly good rep bracelet.

Yeah, that crown in the logo looks pretty bad to me. The base is way too circular.

If it were mine, I'd scrap the watch head for parts and sell 'em off. I'd buy a modern TT watch head and mod it. I'd send the bracelet off to have it reworked (get rid of the stretch). I'd also try to pick up a gen clasp. THEN, you'd have one kickass Franken.... Just my .02. (Can you tell I'm just itching for a new build?)

Not that anyone would or should care what I think but: I can't see a Rolex without thinking it is a fake - I recognise it is the most successfully branded watch on the planet, like Rolls Royce but they have been copied for so long that for me, the allure is lost.

That said, I love beat up rollies. For some reason they look more like 'money' than a perfectly clean one.

I love the look of this one.

In fact I will put 100 bucks on the table right now to buy the clasp

A gen clasp has both stamped (REGISTERED SWISS MADE, STEELINOX) and etched (date code (WTF does V1X1 mean anyway?! It was first made in 1996 then completed in 1999?!!), model code) markings. This clasp is all stamped. Thus, it is a replica clasp. Not to mention that "ROLEX" engraving text is HUGE! :rofl:

Edited by superlative

I'd love to know the history of this watch.. and how a very good, and bloody expensive rep ended up for $25.. Someone has gone to a load of trouble to build this up, so clearly the builder didn't sell it so cheap..

I'm going to speculate on something.. I'll bet this watch was originally sold as a genuine by a scammer, and the owner has later on found out it's not authentic.. but probably thought fake rolex's are only ever worth $25.. hence how it ended up in the pawn shop so cheap.

I will speculate further by saying it is possible that some scum sucking bottom-dweller stole it thinking it was real and flogged it to his/her fellow-crims at the pawn shop. The fence.... oops sorry - 'broker' saw it wasn't authentic so didn't bother trying to sell it for big bucks