When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Safari - freshened up on reconditioned gen hornback

mt666tm

I've wanted a Safari for years but never pulled the trigger until I saw this in the sales forums (on another forum) and I couldn't say no. It came on a beat up gen strap that I was on the verge of replacing, but after testing out a few methods of repairing it I found one that work so thought I'd share the results.

1st off the watch itself needed a little TLC, so I took most of it apart for greasing up gaskets, repolishing all the bezel screw heads and lowering them a touch, hand brushing out some of the scratches on the bezel and case, etc... I actually found one of the bezel screw tips to be bent and the threads damaged on the caseback nut, so a little straightening and blue loctite solved that problem.

Now onto the strap, someone must have swapped out the strap links to rep some time ago, and I think they used a hammer and chisel to do so... the macro pics of the damage to the lug ends and sides of the strap would gag a maggot!

After taking this all apart, refinishing the inserts, reassembling and rebrushing the links, it was looking acceptable. Now to fix the edge of the strap I found out that you can mix a very small amount of Testors model enamel into shoe goo (to color the rubber to how you want it). This was a last ditch idea as others before it failed. After this I did a little leather reconditioning and cleaned the stitches. I think it turned out well.

DSC01971.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

• 3 weeks later...