When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The "New" Asian 2836-2 GMT movement, review, defect, upgrade

RWG Technical

The latest version of the long running GMT movement is quite well made...finally...after all these years. At least the GMT parts seem to be well made, unfortunately this particular A2836-2 has been ruined by unskilled hands.

The watch was sent in for servicing, the initial teardown showed that despite being wound, the movement was not running, first sign of a problem. During the teardown, a few clues were noted, all the screws were damaged, as you can see here, the last person to work on this one wasn't even capable of selecting the correct sized screwdriver...no wonder there is so much damage...

1.jpg

Once the movement was fully torn down, a quick overall inspection revealed a show stopper, check out the damage where the pivot hole is located in the mainplate for the calendar autochange gear. I have never seen this type of damage.

2.jpg

As you can see in this picture, the hole is somewhat larger than the pivot, it's no wonder the movement would not run, the gear would move sideways and jam up the works.

3.jpg

I am baffled as to how this could happen, it looks as if someone beat it with a punch and hammer, why they did this is beyond me. Here is an overall view of the movement, note in this view the "FAKE" bottom balance c0ck side piece is removed, it's completely disfunctional and serves no purpose.

9.jpg

Here is the movement with the GMT parts removed.

8.jpg

That damage to the mainplate renders it scrap, you need a complete new mainplate, and since this movement is an Asian Clone, it's beyond repair. I offered the owner a couple of options (instead of re-assembling the movement and watch and shipping to China...) one option was that I supply a ETA 2836-2, completely serviced, and switch over the GMT parts from the Asian copy onto the ETA. The owner agreed that this was a good solution, and in reality, a cheaper solution than shipping the watch back to China.

Parts were swapped over from the clone to the ETA. Here's the clone and ETA before putting the clone back together.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

Movement is running and being tested. Along with the swap of the parts, the GMT gear and it's detent were lubricated, as were the other GMT gears, the GMT hand now snaps perfectly to it's new position when adjusting it.

Total turn time, from when the customer contacted me, to today, less than 2 weeks. How's that for customer service. That is the advantage of being organized and putting your customers first, and not ignoring them for months on end after they send you a watch for a simple job, or better yet, a relume. Barring any running problems, the watch will be in the mail by the end of the week, and back on the customer's wrist.

This is the first of the Asian clone 2836-2's that I have seen with this problem. Normally they are well made and respond well to servicing. Not sure what happend here, I suspect that the watch may have been a customer return (after he or his modder damaged the movement) and that the watch was re-sold. Typically the factory uses the correct screwdrivers, at least the automated movement assembly machines do, and the mainplate pivot hole damage is totally bizzare...knowing that, the only possibility is that it was damaged by unskilled hands.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks Rob

Am i correct in assuming that his is the new jumping GMT hand (while time setting like the 2892) movement?

if so what did you do in regards to lubrication of the jump mech and what oil

I worked on an older varient that just slipped whether oiled or dry the GMT hand would loose an hour over a day and whould not hold its set when time setting

Interesting. There must be a lot going on "behind the curtains" in the Chinese replica industries. Thanks for posting! :)

How is your experience with the Asian 2892 clones, quality wise? Have you seen any GMT-modifications on that movement?

I just recently had a clone eta GMT repaired. The datewheel was jammed and the GMT hand will no longer operate. Apparently the date wheel was able to be repaired but not the GMT hand. Something possibly to do with a pivot hole. At least the date and time work so I use the watch as-is.

I had earlier misfortune with another GMT last year which worked for over 3 years before it went totally haywire. The cause of it was the need for some kind if spacer or washer which I recall was a ETA part. I only learned this after I sold the watch to someone who was able to diagnose it. I guess good diagnosis and full repair of GMTs will be more and more prevalent now.

Edited by Kerbus

Am i correct in assuming that his is the new jumping GMT hand (while time setting like the 2892) movement?

if so what did you do in regards to lubrication of the jump mech and what oil

I worked on an older varient that just slipped whether oiled or dry the GMT hand would loose an hour over a day and whould not hold its set when time setting

Yes, it's the jumping hand model gear. Adjustment is opposite the quickset date in the crown mid position.

HP-1300 used, or D5 whichever you have on hand.

For the slipping one, probably not enough tension on the detent spring?

How is your experience with the Asian 2892 clones, quality wise? Have you seen any GMT-modifications on that movement?

Overall...A2892's seem to be poor, not had a lot of good luck with them, and I haven't seen any with a GMT modification so no feedback on that model...

Could you tell us why you feel this GMT module is greatly improved? Tanks

For a number of reasons:

- simplified compared to the others I have seen

- consists of only 1 adjustment gear replacing the original Day change gear on the 2836-2, a quickdate set modified drive gear, and the GMT gear that sits on top of the existing movement hour wheel cover assembly and is held in place by the dial and a dial washer, simple, and in line with other GMT ETA movemnets in it's design

- no crappy cover assembly made with a bunch of bent junk all bent and twisted and secured with partial screws attempting to hold the GMT gear in place and jamming up against it etc, this time they got it right, simple and effective, minimal parts to do the job

- simply drive gear from the autodate intermediate gear, same design as ETA uses, nothing to go wrong

- gears all appear well made and should not pose any problems if lubricated and cared for during normal servicing

Great work (as usual), Zig. My only question is whether it is safe to operate the jumping hour function after the overhaul or are the parts still too finicky to trust?

The GMT gear with the adjustable detent mechanism is well made, seems to work well, and once lubricated shows no problems. It is quite rugged and I don't see any reasons not to use and adjust it. It's somewhat overbuild, but if compared to the 2893-2 GMT gear, is no worse in design.

As long as it's lubricated, I would use it without any concerns.