When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help for franken ladies dj

w.genzo

Hi all,

I'm still thinking about a franken dj for my girlfriend, now her birthday is coming and I'd need your help.

Unfortunately her wrist is very small and a mid size is not an option, so I have to go for a 26mm dj.

My two options are:

Gen case; I've a gen 69170 case and I would like to know if any eta mov would fit and aligne properly.

I checked eta 2671 features and dimensions and it might work, but I'm not sure and I would like to hear your opinion..

Rep case with a gen dial and gen bezel, but again, I'm not sure if the gen dial and the bezel would fit.

I did not consider a tudor princess with a custom dial because I would like to use a gen dial..

If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated

I put a few of these together and knowing what I know now, I would advise you to consider a ready-to-go steel replica with a swiss eta 2671 in it.

Why?

1...Because it avoids all the hassle of fitting an eta into a genuine case and if you use a genuine dial on an eta in a genuine case, you will have to stick the dial on the 2671 with glue etc, find hands, movement spacer, case clamps etc.

2...Sad but true but it probably does not really matter if the case/dial is genuine or not mainly because no one can tell much difference anyway on a small watch.

3...The lady model watch is so small that common 'replica defects' like the date window/magnifier being off .5mm from genuine etc is usually not that important. If the magnifier is centered over the date properly, all is well. Another thing is that on a small lady size dial, the printing is not bold enough to show flaws in the application like on a full size watch.

4...The big catch today is to really get a 'swiss' eta for your $$ and not a sorry clone of some sort.

I would look for a good case,dial, and bracelet combo and go from there. When the watch arrives, it is always a good idea to replace the springbars with high quality stainless steel springbars, check the caseback gasket, and put Loctite on the bracelet screws before turning it loose. If you are inclined, it is also a good idea to remove the hands and dial so you can cement the markers to the dial so they will not fall off. It is embarassing when markers fall off a 'gift watch'.

I almost forgot Gift Watch Rule #1...

Most women do not really like automatic watches.

A quartz cartier is usually a good bet. :throb:

I would agree with automatico on 1 point, but disagree on another. I agree that you are better off going with a Cartier (or another designer name) quartz than an automatic Rolex. I did an informal survey of a number of female friends some years ago (there used to be a thread here, but it may have gotten lost during 1 of the software upgrades) & I was surprised to find that only 1 of them really liked Rolex when 'prettier' (quartz) designer options were available. I would disagree that a rep case or watch is preferable to gens. Unless your lady is aware the watch is 'fake', I would not want to risk having my lady being outted with friends while looking at rings (or whatever women look at) during 1 of her routine shopping excursions. Some women are fine with reps & others are worse than gen forum members. I have a female friend (the 1 from the survey that prefers Rolex over the typical quartz designer watch), who loves the cheap Daytona rep I gave her

0411.jpg

But, in my experience, she is definitely the exception to the rule.

Yes especially the new 179XX datejust has the bezel too thick compared with a gen, and then my gf woudn't like to be outted even if she likes my reps.

That's why I would prefer to use a gan case&bezel.

Tudor princess is not an option for me because I'm quite sure a gen dial wouldn't fit.

"Rep case is way too thick to even look gen like. Its about 4 -5 mm thicker IIRC."

I used eta cases from 'Abay' 7 or 8 years ago and they were pretty close, a little thick maybe but not much with a genuine spec gasket and crystal. I have a few ST6D lady DJ cases that look like little double bacon cheeseburgers though.

I finally found the leftover tutone lady DJ projects from back then and the swisseta 2671 case is a hair over 10mm thick with the crystal that came in it while the ST6D lady DJ case is 12.2mm thick.

The swisseta case is threaded for a standard 5.3mm case tube (2.5mm x .25mm).

A new heavy center link SS/14k lady jubilee (made in Italy) is now $535 from where I got mine. Back when I bought the last one they were about $275. I paid $90 for the 'like new' (dealer take off) 18k lady DJ bezel...21.4mm id.

A gents SS/14K 20mm jubilee heavy center link bracelet is now $915! I paid less than half that much back when I was working on this stuff.

I have built a couple and they are somewhat of a PITA as described. I will probably do one more (have a couple gen cases, dials, etc), someday, but I'm putting it off as long as possible...

If your dead set on a franken with gen case. I'm afraid your only option will be going with an ETA-2000 as a base. You'll have to use a 2035 date disc for an overlay, and use a combo of 2035 and 2135 hands to fit the 2000 pinions. the ETA 2000 shares the same lingne as the rolex 2035/2135. But unless you are building for fun, as suggested by others, get her a quartz.

If your dead set on a franken with gen case. I'm afraid your only option will be going with an ETA-2000 as a base. You'll have to use a 2035 date disc for an overlay, and use a combo of 2035 and 2135 hands to fit the 2000 pinions. the ETA 2000 shares the same lingne as the rolex 2035/2135. But unless you are building for fun, as suggested by others, get her a quartz.

Will you still need a spacer ring to use this movement?