When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai 243 Diver - H Factory vs Noob Factory!

mikellem

General Specs

What a super cool watch! This has to be one of the greatest dive watches introduced by any company. Super rugged and great looking. Keeping with the simple theme, this Panerai watch is classy and simple. The automatic movement (with sub second and date feature) makes this a great tool watch. With the patented locking crown and sleek unidirectional bezel, this watch is unmistakably PANERAI! This has the newer luminova painted black dial. The 44 mm brushed stainless steel case is large and captivating. You won't be able to take your eyes off this watch. But try to keep one eye out for sharks if you are diving. This is your next favorite watch!

Gen Movement Specs

• Automatic mechanical exclusive Panerai OP III calibre, 13¼ lignes, 21 jewels, Côtes de Genève decoration on the bridges. PANERAI personalized oscillating weight. Glucydur® balance, 28,800 alternations/hour. Incabloc® anti-shock device.
  • Power reserve 42 hours.
  • Chronometer certificate (C.O.S.C.).
  • Functions: hours, minutes, small seconds, date, calculation of immersion time.
  • Case: diameter 44 mm, brushed steel AISI 316L. Helium valve on the left side.
  • Bezel: brushed steel with polished edges, anti-clockwise unidirectional rotating bezel with graduated scale for calculating the time of immersion and ratchet click at minute intervals.
  • Back: screw, brushed steel, 3 mm thick.
  • Device protecting the crown: (protected as a Trade Mark) brushed steel.
  • Crystal: sapphire, formed of corundum, 5.1 mm thick with magnifying lens over the date at 3 o'clock. Anti-reflective coating.
  • Water-resistance: 1000 meters.
  • Strap: rubber with PANERAI personalized steel buckle.

Now that I have shown the Gen specs let's take a look at the two replica 243's that I have in my hand. For this review I have the 243H Factory and the 243 Noob Factory.

Bezel

At first glance, the Noob looks more like the gen. The reason? The Bezel is totally different from the H Factory. The H Factory bezel IMO looks like it's not part of the watch. The Noob version has a much better copy of the bezel and makes the watch look balanced like it should.

Bezel Clicks

The gen has a 60-click bezel. The Noob has a 60 click bezel. The H has a 120-click bezel. According to Andrew and Josh, the H Factory made the bezel 120-click for a reason. They say that a 60-click bezel will wear out in a short period of time. I personally have no comment on this since I really do not know.

Crown Guards

Both crown guards are good except the Noob is more refined and fits the case better.

Sapphire Crystal

The H Factory has a gorgeous and very clear crystal. The Noob Factory crystal in very cloudy and will have to be re-manufactured. You will see later in the pics how bad the Noob Crystal is, and how good the H crystal is.

Lume

H factory does have Super-luminova, and has a decent glow. The Noob factory was suppose to have Super-luminova (except on my series there is no Super-luminova and the glow is terrible).

Case Back

Both are engraved ok, except the H Factory has a nicer, deeper engraved back.

Conclusion

I am personally going to send my Noob 243 back and wait until the corrected version with Super-luminova dial and hands. I am also waiting for the crystal on the Noob Factory to get replaced.

I personally am not concerned about the 60-click bezel, as I will not be using it much. Plus, I still do not understand why Josh and Andrew are saying that the Noob bezel with 60 clicks is going to wear out. Maybe they are 100% correct, I don't honestly know.

The H Factory 243 has a gorgeous clear crystal, very good lume, Super-luminova dial and hands. The H Factory has also sharper engraving on the back case. To me and to asimplefarmer (who owns the H Factory version used for this interview) the H Factory bezel feels the same but looks out of place. The angles are all wrong.

Before I thought about doing this review, one of our very knowledgeable members, txcollector, explained to me the differences in the dial before I even received my watch. Boy was he correct.

So in conclusion, both watches have their positives and negatives.

Now let’s let the actual photos tell the truth.

The pics below were taken by our good friend redwatch. He has a professional photo studio that is just amazing. Thanks red for all your help, and I also want to thank asimplefarmer

for bringing his Pam 243H to the photo shoot!

Cheers guys, hope you enjoy the pics below...file://localhost/Users/doddsbook/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip_image002.gif

MM

H-Factory PAM 243 vs Noob Factory PAM 243

(H-Factory is the one with the brown leather strap, Noob Factory with the black rubber)

ddab6769.jpg

50454107.jpg

e0287539.jpg

2b75cf5f.jpg

3e07681a.jpg

35e3543c.jpg

8570a50a.jpg

4c0ecdb9.jpg

530c28e9.jpg

ae44b424.jpg

6d7bb0c0.jpg

a6d2826c.jpg

42179564.jpg

4745879e.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent comparison. It seems like for now you need to get both to get a good one (the CG on Noob is out of this world though. The H lever is awful)

Interesting enough Tony (asian7750) is not selling the noob yet. He's waiting for the fixes so I'm assuming it should come in a few weeks.

Wow, finally N-H comparison by someone having both watches in hand. A big thank you to all involved in this great writeup and pictorial !!!

@mikelm - did I understand correctly that your N crystal have defect (those "stains" visible on pics). If you disregard that defect how would you compare clarity of the crystal and AR quality to H ?

regards

Wow, finally N-H comparison by someone having both watches in hand. A big thank you to all involved in this great writeup and pictorial !!!

@mikelm - did I understand correctly that your N crystal have defect (those "stains" visible on pics). If you disregard that defect how would you compare clarity of the crystal and AR quality to H ?

regards

I think the stain was just remnants of the "sticky stuff" from the protective plastic that I missed when I shot the pics. However, with regards to the clarity, the N-Factory is terrible IMO. There is a night and day difference between the two! The H-Factory is so clear it's pretty stunning.

I will say this though - I think the date mag on the H-Factory is slightly off to one side.

Great review...very helpfull as I'm on the fence to buy one but really hesitate between H or N..I asked Connie about the rumor for the N updated...

Thanks again

Just got a reply from Connie and she said that she will have some news about the N version in 2 or 3 days..so stay stuned

Haha. Excellent review M! It's great to see them side by side

Thanks guys, I could not have done the review with out great photographer Red Watch!

Great review...very helpfull as I'm on the fence to buy one but really hesitate between H or N..I asked Connie about the rumor for the N updated...

Thanks again

Yann, I am very curious about doubt what Connie says about the N V2 if it's going to happen or not! Email me please. ;) Thanks Yann...

nice review M...thanks...i still like my 252 for a PAM sub...classic...

cool that you, Red and farmer got together for the shoot... :band1:

Thanks HackR, we had a great time. I was amazed at the Photo Equipment! Top notch and very professional. And Redwatch's shots prove his professionalism :)

Also Asimplefarmer is a great guy also. Very smart and also a professional photographer more into fashion...

We had a fun time... But than night Redwatch was doing all the work taking pics... :)

Thanks Red and thanks Asimplefarmer. Two top both guys...