When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake Clasp Spotted...

superlative

It is sad to see that a 'pro' watch/parts seller can not tell the difference.

Judging from the price, he sure is proud of it too.

FYI some prices...

I looked around and found some receipts where I bought three of these clasps a few years back (receipt was not dated), two marked for 18k/ss and one for steel...the AD charged me $51 each otd and I thought that was too much at the time.

Another receipt showed I paid $3865 otd for two new steel Zenith Daytonas in 1992. One in 1996 and one in 1997 cost me $5120 each from the same AD otd. Last one in 1998 was $5120 otd.

Paid $3315 for a 'like new' tutone 16523 Zenith Daytona w/bp in 1999...tutones were doa compared to steel. They still are. Paid $990 otd for a new leftover 5500 AK in 1994, $900 for 6694 otd.

'otd' = out the door

In 1997, new steel 5.3 and 6.0 crowns cost me $20, new gold 5.3 and 6.0 crowns were $35. New steel 7.0 were $35, gold $75.

Tropics $15.50, cyclops $17.50.

Balance complete w/hs $160.

Reverser $25.

set of 3 hands $23

set of 4 hands $ 30.50

This is TWICE. I busted him a few months ago trying to sell an "Aftermarket" 1675 insert (clearly the same as a WSO) for $499! He responded to me in kind, but never removed it.

This seller is either ignorant to his parts, or is peppering in aftermarket stuff knowingly.

I've used him before myself....and my stuff was always legit. But he does have family members involved in the business as he more than a few online retail sites.

Nowadays, who really know why some of these "power-sellers" do what they do.

I've certainly seen my share of top rated ebays sellers that use their impressive feedback ratings to pass along junk to the unsuspecting consumer.

Yikes! I've purchased a crown and tube from him last summer. Everything about the ones he had (at the time) seemed legit.I'm sure glad I didn't get my clasp from him;but one glance at the coronet on that one screams fake.

All of the crowns I've purchased from jewelerstools have been correct gens.

The easiest way to check them is from the bottom.