When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Do You Think Of This Panerai/rolex Pocket Watch?

V

....yes, it is a nce watch and maybe the owner will come up and tell you about his nice project.....I will sent him a mail :D

Theo

It looks amazing Theo... and this strap if it is not the real deal (I mean REALLYYYYY old) it is one of the best reconstructions of vintage straps I have seen..

It looks amazing Theo... and this strap if it is not the real deal (I mean REALLYYYYY old) it is one of the best reconstructions of vintage straps I have seen..

If I recall correctly, this is one of his straps from vintage leather that he sells over at Psti. They're a bit on the expensive side if you go for a sewn in buckle, but well worth the money by the looks of things. Also, if you're going to invest in a WM case and Rolex 618, you may as well splash the cash on a nice strap!

If I recall correctly, this is one of his straps from vintage leather that he sells over at Psti. They're a bit on the expensive side if you go for a sewn in buckle, but well worth the money by the looks of things. Also, if you're going to invest in a WM case and Rolex 618, you may as well splash the cash on a nice strap!

Is this Bruce's watch? And I guess this is an Ammo Pouch WWII strap?

Is this Bruce's watch? And I guess this is an Ammo Pouch WWII strap?

I'm not sure, I thought it was a WWII strap - I can't find the post right now, but the guy has a number plate and a beer bottle wearing a panny as his signature. I don't spend much time reading over there - maybe someone else will be able to help!

Kostas, it was a few months ago. I remembered the cost is around USD$23K if I am not mistaken. It supposedly comes in the original rolex movement and the positioning of the dial is the exact manner as Adeeos'. I stumbled upon the auction when viewing some vintage IWCs watches. Tried to find the seller but to no avail. He has a distinct page on ebay. Will let u know if I find it.

I've seen a few similar ones up for sale, but not the same. I guess this one was from a pocket watch, as wrist watches of that time were tiny! Here's a link to a similar movement currently up for sale.

The odd thing I've noticed is that all Rolex movements I've seen (including the Eaton pocketwatch, Rolex Observatory / Precision pocket watches etc.) all have seconds @ 6 (bearing in mind the winding stem is @ 12). I've read in several places, not just the internet, that Panerai switched to Angelus movements not only to reduce wear on the seals, but to enable a sub second dial. Either this information is incorrect, or the movement was modified by Rolex but not supplied to Panerai. Any ideas, or have I got the wrong end of the stick again?! :g:

I've seen a few similar ones up for sale, but not the same. I guess this one was from a pocket watch, as wrist watches of that time were tiny! Here's a link to a similar movement currently up for sale.

The odd thing I've noticed is that all Rolex movements I've seen (including the Eaton pocketwatch, Rolex Observatory / Precision pocket watches etc.) all have seconds @ 6 (bearing in mind the winding stem is @ 12). I've read in several places, not just the internet, that Panerai switched to Angelus movements not only to reduce wear on the seals, but to enable a sub second dial. Either this information is incorrect, or the movement was modified by Rolex but not supplied to Panerai. Any ideas, or have I got the wrong end of the stick again?! :g:

BTW.. now that you mentioned Angelus.. what's the progress of your project?

BTW.. now that you mentioned Angelus.. what's the progress of your project?

Don't ask! :) It's a bit of a money pit at the moment; I've got a Russian 6152/1 to put it in to, but I'm looking to do some custom work on the dial. The movement needs some attention, then I will get acrylic crystals made up, as well as a set of hands (no luck so far, the minute hand is 0.80mm and the hour hand is 1.56mm - very irregular!). I'm also looking for a GPF sew-in buckle before I get a custom strap, which is proving tricky. I've got a back wind movement that I'm thinking of selling to raise funds to complete the rest of the watch. The problem is, the more research I do, the more fussy I become - resulting in the project going nowhere!

Don't ask! :) It's a bit of a money pit at the moment; I've got a Russian 6152/1 to put it in to, but I'm looking to do some custom work on the dial. The movement needs some attention, then I will get acrylic crystals made up, as well as a set of hands (no luck so far, the minute hand is 0.80mm and the hour hand is 1.56mm - very irregular!). I'm also looking for a GPF sew-in buckle before I get a custom strap, which is proving tricky. I've got a back wind movement that I'm thinking of selling to raise funds to complete the rest of the watch. The problem is, the more research I do, the more fussy I become - resulting in the project going nowhere!

Thats the problem with those kind of projects.. but the end result is more than rewarding..

I may have a source for a GPF style sewn-in buckle.. I will send you a PM.

Hey guys,, Thanks for the positive comments, Yes,, It is a WM 3646 case kit,, with a complete Rolex pocket watch movement/dial/hands... It was really an accident. The 12,3,6,9 dial/hands do not fit the Rolex movement like I'd like,, So I just put it all together with the original parts until I could locate the correct dial/hands... I am now in not such a hurry to change it,, I LOVE it like it is,, Yes, the strap is one of the WWII Ammo pouch straps,, I make them. This particular one is made from a WWII Italian Carcono rifle sling.. The stains, scars, and, "wabi" are all genuine, vintage stuff, from blood, sweat, tears, mud, who knows,, lolol, I also made it in the vintage style with the flat buckle, and fixed keeper in the same loop.. I had an original 3646/6152 strap to copy the construction... I'm glad you all enjoy it.. Thanks again,, "Adeeos"

Kevin dont change the dial position.. this is what makes it so special ;)

although I don't know how easy is to read the time :rolleyes:

P.S. This strap is definately many levels up from the regular Ammo pouch straps you make.. If you have a trained strap-eye you can understand it ;)

Kevin dont change the dial position.. this is what makes it so special ;)

although I don't know how easy is to read the time :rolleyes:

P.S. This strap is definately many levels up from the regular Ammo pouch straps you make.. If you have a trained strap-eye you can understand it ;)

Thanks again,, Actualy,, it is VERY easy to read the time,, I set the time using the 9:00 marker as the 12:00.. So at a glace,, you know the time right away,, it's NO problem.. To really screw with people,, I've set the time normally,, so you have to look at the dial at a 90 degee,, Hahahaha,,, that REALLY mess's with people... lololol

Thanks again,, Actualy,, it is VERY easy to read the time,, I set the time using the 9:00 marker as the 12:00.. So at a glace,, you know the time right away,, it's NO problem.. To really screw with people,, I've set the time normally,, so you have to look at the dial at a 90 degee,, Hahahaha,,, that REALLY mess's with people... lololol

:D:lol::D:lol: Well I think you mess worse with them when the watch says 9:15 and it actually is 12:15 :p

Anyway.. cograts again on a very special and nice vintage watch.. I guess Theo you are jealous :p