When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a GEN Panerai Exodus in the wake of the Reps

Ronin

I tend to keep my on the FS threads on the various GEN forums. I noticed an odd trend over the past few months.

Since the release of the Noob/H Reps, people seem to be selling off the Gen equivalents (or trying to pass the SuperReps off) in usually high numbers. 111/112/177/176/029/390/005.

Anyone else notice this trend?

Not including eBay there are 48 PAMs FS on watchrecon and the majority are the same model as the supers. I saw three (supposedly) Gen 029's FS in 4 days. TONS of 390's have showed up.

That begs the question; Are the Gen guys spooked? Are they lurking on the Rep forums? Are Rep guys trying to SCAM the GEN guys with these new Reps?

The 390 is a typical example of flippers in waiting. Most wait and see what the trend is in the beginning/what they flip for. Then they wait and see how stable that price is. As soon as the price starts going down a little bit (which it has as more have been released) the rest of them jump in to make their 2K profit while they can.

Base/Marina models are the easiest to unload as this time of year collectors are starting to save up for one of the new releases they're lusting for.

I think the combination of quality reps and the debacle surrounding the Brooklyn Bridge Edition just emphasizes what a load of over priced nonsense the panerai Historic range is. Panerai have been seriously creaming it for the last 10+ with that Unitas movement and finally people have woken up to that fact they's be take for a ride . As for the 29 I reckon a lot of people thought it would jump in price , i think the economic climate has prevented that a bit as well

I am not convinced that the reps are having a meaningful effect on the gen sales. Most owners of gens do not sell for a rep. It is more the other way when the rep owner can no longer live with the rep movement or whatever. What I do think is happening is that Panerai is coming out with an ever larger number of new models and people often sell to buy. Back in the day when Panerai handwinds were actually hard to find in the U.S. people tened to keep them. Now they are available everywhere.

Which is why I think it may be good time to look for a mint base Gen like 112. I'll see what kind of deal I can manage to get. I want to have at least 1 Gen.

I am not convinced that the reps are having a meaningful effect on the gen sales. Most owners of gens do not sell for a rep. It is more the other way when the rep owner can no longer live with the rep movement or whatever. What I do think is happening is that Panerai is coming out with an ever larger number of new models and people often sell to buy. Back in the day when Panerai handwinds were actually hard to find in the U.S. people tened to keep them. Now they are available everywhere.

The deals seem to be with the mid-high-end models. PAMs that sell/sold in the $9000 range can be had in the $6000 range. Most of the entry PAMs still hover in the $4000-$5000 range, so less of a deal. "177" / Titanium seems to be a sweet spot. The 029 I saw was @ $7500 -vs- $12,000.

I doubt many Panerai end buyers are aware of the super high end reps that we get, 95% of genuine owners still thinks fake watches are the crappy street market type.

Having said that the fakes must have some effect, even if only amongst the internet watch scene members.

I just started lurking around this forum for about 2 months. Being a gen guy all my life (my old man is a grey dealer), I have to say it affects me, but only pieces I think is not worth buying in Gen. For example I bought my very first Hublot rep. I really like the watch but for the price of the real one I might as well buy myself a nice SE Pam or a vintage Rolex.

This kinda goes with Pam now, cos after the 2012 SIHH I have to say I am a little annoyed with Pam releasing things just by tweaking a few things. Like adding a Pig to the 425 and adding a logo on the 424 and a date. I spend quite a bit on the 249 and they are releasing the 448 which is pretty much my 249 but with a different freaking movement. Atleast Rolex doesn't remake a 1655 or a Paul Newman.

I just started lurking around this forum for about 2 months. Being a gen guy all my life (my old man is a grey dealer), I have to say it affects me, but only pieces I think is not worth buying in Gen. For example I bought my very first Hublot rep. I really like the watch but for the price of the real one I might as well buy myself a nice SE Pam or a vintage Rolex.

This kinda goes with Pam now, cos after the 2012 SIHH I have to say I am a little annoyed with Pam releasing things just by tweaking a few things. Like adding a Pig to the 425 and adding a logo on the 424 and a date. I spend quite a bit on the 249 and they are releasing the 448 which is pretty much my 249 but with a different freaking movement. Atleast Rolex doesn't remake a 1655 or a Paul Newman.

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. Im just curious what led you to this forum? I my self is a rep guy all the way.. im proud of the ones i have. But i have to agree.. if i could afford gens i would probably have one or two. This is a great forum to find the "perfect" watch for you.

But im so curious why ppl that have gens come to this forum. Is it to se how good the replicas are or just cause this is a great community?

cheers, and sorry for hijacking OP.

But im so curious why ppl that have gens come to this forum. Is it to se how good the replicas are or just cause this is a great community?

I own more Gen's than Rep's, and this is my #1 watch forum that I hang out. Largely because of the people, knowledge, and freedom you get here. This is like the "Pirate Radio" of Watch Forums.

I own more Gen's than Rep's, and this is my #1 watch forum that I hang out. Largely because of the people, knowledge, and freedom you get here. This is like the "Pirate Radio" of Watch Forums.

Hehe i agree with you. This is a great place, rep or gen.

You started out with reps i guess and then went gen?

Again sry OP for the hijacking.

My first rep was in 1986, it was a Quartz Submariner Rep. I followed that up with a GEN TAG Heuer until 1995 when I landed my first "automatic" Submariner Rep. Then more GENs, more REPS, more GENS, and I just bought a REP of the 029 from Vac.

Three reasons why here versus a gen forum:

- You actually make great friends - two of my closest were met here. The commonality is not simply we all own Rolexes

- You find people with the same and other interests

- The watch info is far broader and not just brand specific - nor is it based on people showing off what they own

- And lastly, reps are more exciting than gens if you ike them

A-bloody-men to that! I've got a fair mix of gens and reps (as does my wife, who lurks here) and this forum is so much more inclusive and a hundred times more informative than any other watch forum I've ever encountered.

This is truly a forum for watch lovers, not a rich men's er...tool-measuring contest. ;)

As to the original question: no I don't think the increasing accuracy of the reps will cause too many ripples in the second-hand gen world. Outside of this forum I don't think too many 'Ristis even realize how scary-good the reps are getting. Since Paneristi actively suppresses any and all talk of reps, their own knowledge of the subject is lacking. I would venture that your average user here could ID a rep with greater accuracy than your average gen-forum-dweller.

Edited by atomic_doug

As to the original question: no I don't think the increasing accuracy of the reps will cause too many ripples in the second-hand gen world. Outside of this forum I don't think too many 'Ristis even realize how scary-good the reps are getting. Since Paneristi actively suppresses any and all talk of reps, their own knowledge of the subject is lacking. I would venture that your average user here could ID a rep with greater accuracy than your average gen-forum-dweller.

Good points. However, as an example, I have a Gen Exp II white face. IF it were ever repped to the point of some of these new PAM reps with correct hand stacks, dial accuracy, etc..... I WOULD be tempted to sell my GEN, put ~$4000+ towards another new GEN, after spending $300 on the super rep to replace it. Case in point if I had poneyd up $9000 for a 2010 PAM 029, I would be pissed, and probably dump it. YMMV.

I think the GEN forums are doing their membership a discredit to censor REP vs GEN comparisons. Knowledge is power to someone really looking to buy and collect said GEN watches. Sure, you might loose some % of Gen buyers to Reps when they see the light, but still, freedom of information could be a valuable asset. Then again, the first rule of Rep Club is you do not talk about Rep club, so having their fake discussion bans is probably in our best interest.

Nice, if you do then 390 is a really nice one to get and I think most accurate as well. My next one is going to be Patek Nautilus :-) blue SS.

what about the 161 GMT ? its cute

DSC_0363.jpg

Here is a good thread about 88 GMT which almost the same, http://www.rwg.cc/to...ly-like-my-088/ I don't think there is a rep of 161.

The only thing that really stands out to me is a shape of the lever's tip, it does not match the gen, besides that it's a really nice looking piece.

088 it is :1a: