When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the secret?

preacher62

All modder's comments are welcome.

What is the secret to making an ETA 2824 work properly with a date wheel overlay. I have tried everything. I have used double-sided tape on the dial ring to give it some spacing. I've tried a layer of tape on the date wheel and I have even tried it with nothing extra.

It seems as though the dwo rubs against the parts on the movement, unlike a 2836.

I have a gen 16013 case in which, upon advice from this forum, I intended to use a 2836. This 2836 does not work in this 16000 case as the stem is almost against the side of the tube. Others must have a different sort of 2836 or a different sort of 16000 case.

The 2824 fits the case perfectly, but just will not change date properly. Without the overlay the date ring moves cleanly and snaps over.

Please help me or I will sell you a beautiful 16000 Rolex case and dial.

M

My Franken is a 16013 case with a 2836 and jmb built it so the shimming must be the secret. I never even heard of issues with the stem against the tube until I saw this thread.That really intrigues me. I'm even more thankful I farmed mine out to be built.

Maybe jmb can make you a custom spsacer ring for your 2824 like he did for my 2836.

Kerbus - Was yours a 2836? The case tube height mut be correct for the 2836, then, as a standard movement spacer/ring only takes up the gap between movement OD and case ID. You can also build in some "shim" to add more space between the dial and movement (lowering the effective stem height).

Kerbus - Was yours a 2836? The case tube height mut be correct for the 2836, then, as a standard movement spacer/ring only takes up the gap between movement OD and case ID. You can also build in some "shim" to add more space between the dial and movement (lowering the effective stem height).

Yep, mine's a 2836.

FWIW, reading the old Stilty thread, his spacer worked with a 2824 by leaving .4 mm clearance between movement and dial in which to put the date overlay. He solved what sounds like the same problem by using a wheel from a 2834-2, with its .2 mm 'step' ? (...and all this only after installing a new cannon pinion so the hands will still be at the right height...)

http://www.rwgforum....a-franken-pt-i/

So for the 2836, with a stem height of 2.25 mm, the stem was up against the back side of the hole? What S/N range is your case?

I'm very curious about this as I am just about to start a 16013 project.

S/N R378192 I have a 2824 in the case with the dial attached to the dial ring with double-sided scotch tape and the stem is perfectly centered in the tube. With the 2836 I can mount the gen crown but then cannot pull it out and in properly. To tight against the tube..

I think the issue is dial to DWO spacing here, use a thicker Dial spacer

Faxr, that isn't the problem. It is the other way. The tube is near the movement side of the tube as opposed to the dial side. I would need to take some space out against the rehaut, not the other way around.

I really appreciate all this discussion from you guys. My 2836 is factory stock. I think that I have solved the problem with the 2824.

So check my arithmetic: if a 2824 has a 1.8 mm stem height, and one in a stilty spacer leaves about .4 mm clearance to the dial glued to the top of the spacer, does that mean the stem height on a 3035 is 2.2 mm? Meaning a 2836 with its 2.25 mm stem height should fit with the stem .05 mm off center in the hole?

So check my arithmetic: if a 2824 has a 1.8 mm stem height, and one in a stilty spacer leaves about .4 mm clearance to the dial glued to the top of the spacer, does that mean the stem height on a 3035 is 2.2 mm? Meaning a 2836 with its 2.25 mm stem height should fit with the stem .05 mm off center in the hole?

Sounds right to me. I am going to try that movement again. I would rather use a 36. I went with the 16000 case because of that. The 1600 normally calls for a 24. The date wheel spacing is better and the 36 just has a completely different and more robust date-changing mechanism.

By "stilty" spacer are you talking about the dial spacer? Stilty is normally noted for his enlargement ring...movement spacer. I have a movement spacer that is perfect. I had to mill a couple of places where the case clamps cross it but other than that, it works great.