When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT-Master II 16710 Bezel Insert Replacement

ocdnick

In regards to replacing the bezel on a Rolex 16710 from a Coke insert to a Pepsi insert, what are the risks or differences for replacing the insert as compared to a gen? I understand with the GEN Subs and GMT-Masters it is a matter of prying off the bottle cap bezel and it simply pops off, I understand there is little quality control with rep timepieces so, has anyone ran into any differences with replacing their bezel inserts compared to a gen, or is the process pretty much standard to the design? Thanks.

There aren't any GMT II reps that I know of that will take a gen insert without some sanding to the insert necessary.

And other than the BK Transformer of "yester-year" I'n not aware of any GMT II reps that even have a gen constructed bezel assembly.

(of course, the Transformer didn't either, actually but the tension wire affixed bezel did afford easy removal of it...hence...Transformer)

I'm not an expert by any means but there are tutorials that refer to using a blow-dryer to heat the insert up (and soften the glue) for removal.

Which version of GMT II are you working on and perhaps you'd know where it originated.??

The Noob bezels (on both the GMT II's and 16610's) seem to be quite a chore to rfemove/replace without bezel damage...but it's been done.

There aren't any GMT II reps that I know of that will take a gen insert without some sanding to the insert necessary.

And other than the BK Transformer of "yester-year" I'n not aware of any GMT II reps that even have a gen constructed bezel assembly.

(of course, the Transformer didn't either, actually but the tension wire affixed bezel did afford easy removal of it...hence...Transformer)

I'm not an expert by any means but there are tutorials that refer to using a blow-dryer to heat the insert up (and soften the glue) for removal.

Which version of GMT II are you working on and perhaps you'd know where it originated.??

The Noob bezels (on both the GMT II's and 16610's) seem to be quite a chore to rfemove/replace without bezel damage...but it's been done.

NOTE: There does seem to have been a GMT II rep available at one time with gen constructed bezel.....that being the Discontinued Noob Factory GMT II