When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Purchasing a new Rolex GMT-Master Pepsi

ocdnick

Recently my Rolex GMT Coke 16710 was not working properly and the movement needs to be replaced, I have considered simply replacing the entire watch instead of the ETA 2839 movement which runs around $170, can anyone tell me what they think of this watch, and has anyone dealt with this company before PureTime Watches International? Is it a good off the market piece for the price and does the company make good timepieces or are the scammers? Thanks.

http://www.puretimewatches.org/product/gmt-master-ii-bluered-bezel/

Puretime is an OK dealer. I have never had any problems with them personally.

As far as the watch, I believe it is ICHS, if that sort of thing matters to you (I know it would to me!). Should be OK as far as timekeeping, though. I think it is a 2836 with the GMT module, which has been known to be a bit sketchy as far as long-term function.

Incorrect hand stack. On a gen GMT II, the hand stack order would be hour hand, GMT hand, minute hand, followed by second hand. On an ICHS movement, the stack is similar to vintage Rolex, which is as follows: GMT hand, hour hand, minute hand, and second hand.

Kind of a minor thing, really, but it would really bug some people. :)

ICHS is 'incorrect hand stack'. The GMT hand is on the bottom of the hand stack. On the 16710 genuine Rolex the hour hand is on the bottom, then the GMT hand, then the minute hand. The CHS 'correct hand stack' has had mixed reviews, with quite a few movement failures.

I think that the 'Retro' from Perfect Clones is 'best' out of the box, not much is needed to mod. It is the older 16710 that has the holes in the case. It is the ICHS.

http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlgs10009-retro-edition-master-bluered-pepsi-bezel-p-3493.html

thanks for all of the help guys, the incorrect hand stack doesn't really bother me, another question, have any of you dealt with puretime before? i've dealt with rep magic and watch-international and have been sort of unimpressed, does puretime have good quality and are they reliable? the only thing that bothers me is when these dealers produce blatant flaws like bent hands or incorrect bezels, which i've experienced previously, i don't want it to happen again.

If you look at the coronet on the clasp of the OP's link, it looks exactly like all the Noob clasps that have ever been made. I have 2 of them.

I have the same bracelet "twice" myself.

The Bracelet "is" a Noob Bracelet...but the case isn't. ( ashame the Noob bracelet on the GMT II isn't as tight as it is on the 16610's)

And I'm betting a TW Bracelet would "tighten" up the SEL fit quite alot.

If I go for a GMT II, it'll be the one Angus has...providing the QC pics match that of the site listing.

Edited by correctime