When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Omega Planet Ocean 42mm Orange Bezel

vandal.tbh

Hi guys!

Today I’ll be reviewing the Omega Planet Ocean 42mm Ultimate with the Orange Bezel.

I want to let everyone know that if you haven't read it yet, another RWG member, Wetwork, wrote an extremely thorough and informative review on the Planet Ocean. It goes much farther in depth than this review so if you are in the market for one of these watches, do yourself a favor and go read his review as well.

PO01.jpg

Background:

Omega is my favorite watch brand. Maybe James Bond had a little to do with it, but I also love the design of a lot of their models. I discovered how much I like the Planet Ocean (PO) during a visit to an Omega Authorized Dealer (AD). I was actually there looking at a Seamaster Professional, and the bright orange bezel of the PO caught my eye. I tried it on and that was it - I was in love.

The Dealer:

I have purchased 3 watches from Andrew at Trusty Time. He is an outstanding dealer with exceptional customer service.

This is actually the second PO I received from Andrew. The first one had an issue with the stem where it wasn't engaging the movement correctly. I emailed him the day I received it and informed him about the problem. He immediately asked me to send it back and told me he would replace it with a new one. This is the new replacement

His communication is top-notch. He replies to emails within hours, and most of the time within minutes. He is courteous and helpful, and I highly recommend buying from him. I will be writing another review for him in his section of this forum later today. Please check it out if you plan to purchase from him.

Here is the link to the watch I purchased:

http://www.yourtrust...roducts_id=7064

This is the detailed description of the watch copied from the website:

OMG0155 - Planet Ocean 42 Org Bez SS/SS Blk Swiss2824 Ult

Made with a Genuine Watch Completely Dissected.... 1 Full Year in the making......Finally ..The Ulitimate Best 42mm 1 : 1 Planet Ocean... Correct Omega Logo.. No Happy Feet, Purple Tone AR Coating ..Same Tone as Genuine .

MOVEMENT: Nickle Plated Swiss Eta 2824-2 Automatic movement, 28800bph, 25J, Insginia Rotor

Option Avail : Asian 2824-2 25J, 28800bph (Gold Movt Only).. Less USD 50

CASE DIAMETER: 42mm - With Correct 20mm Lug Width

THICKNESS: 14.5mm

DIAL COLOR: Black Dial with Great Lumed Stick Markers, White 6/9/12 Numeral Markers, Correct Omega Logo - No Happy Feet

CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L, Correct HE postion

BRACELET: Brushed SS Bracelet With Diver's extension, Correct Planet Ocean Engraving on Clasp

FRONT GLASS: Sapphire crystal Correct Purple Tone AR coating as Per Genuine

BACK GLASS: Solid Case Caseback With Insignia Logo and Anticounterfeit Print, Serial Numbers (818668988)

BEZEL: Orange Uni directional Rotating Diver Bezel

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes

CLASP TYPE: Double Deployant Folding Clasp/Buckle

DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 position

OTHER REMARKS:

Water Resistant

Correct HE Valve Placement

Serial Numbers (8188668988) engraved Back of Lugs near 7.00 position

Ordering/Shipping:

My original broken watch was delivered back to Andrew on Feb 2nd. I received a confirmation email the same day it was received, along with a photo of the watch. I received QC photos for the replacement watch on Feb 4th. The watch was shipped on Feb 6th and arrived here on Feb 10th. Overall, it was very fast processing time from China to the US.

As usual, the watch came extremely well packaged. It was wrapped in a thin plastic sheet, then folded up in a lot of bubble wrap and placed inside a thick Styrofoam box. The Styrofoam box was shipped in a standard cardboard box. You could throw this package against a brick wall and the watch would be fine.

First Impression:

As soon as I saw the watch in my hand I couldn't help but smile. In my opinion, the PO is one of the most beautiful watches around and this rep really is beautiful. The look and feel of this watch is outstanding. I would have thought this was a gen watch if I didn't know any better. I literally can't stop staring at it. The fit-and-finish of this watch is way better than website photos or QC pictures could represent. Really, these photos here don't quite do it justice.

The watch has a good weight and a very solid feel to it. The case has a mix of brushed and polished surfaces which looks really nice. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I like the orange bezel a lot. It really pops against the purple/blue tint if the AR.

Here are some photos:

PO03.jpg

PO05.jpg

PO08.jpg

PO04.jpg

Further Investigation:

The Crown - Like I said earlier, the first one of these I purchased had a serious issue with the crown and the stem not engaging the movement correctly. This one works perfectly. Also, the first one had a grinding feel when I unscrewed the crown, but this one screws in and out silky smooth. Manually winding the watch (in the first position) is smooth with a nice resistance to it. Setting the date (with the second position) was also very nice. The hands also operate very smoothly and without any slop when adjusting the time (at the third position). There is a Helium escape valve on the opposite side of the case. I tried to turn it, but it seems fixed in it's position. I think it may be sealed to keep the water resistance of the watch.

PO09.jpg

PO10.jpg

PO11.jpg

The Face - I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but it's very nice. The background is a matte black and all the numbers and hour markers look nice and sharp against it. I've read that some people have issues with the Omega logo being too close to the word "Omega". It looks perfectly positioned on the one I got. The numbers in the date window center up very nicely.

The watch has a sapphire crystal and a really nice looking AR coating. It has a nice purple/blue color that I've tried to capture in the picture below.

PO02.jpg

PO32.jpg

PO31.jpg

PO07.jpg

The Lume - The lume on this watch sucks. The good thing is that lume is not that important to me. I know that most people feel differently so if you're one of them, the first mod you should make is probably be the lume. I held the watch up to a bright light for a full minute, but couldn't get a good picture in a dimly lit room. I had to turn the lights completely off in order to see it, so my picture isn't very good. The lume is the standard pale green color. It is fairly bright right off a bright light, but dims very quickly and will be non-visible in about 5-10 minutes.

PO30.jpg

The Bezel - I already said it, but I'll say it again, I love the orange color of the bezel. In these up-close photos, you can see what looks like some streaky texture on the insert, but in person it is not visible. The bezel is uni-directional and has a nice stiffness to it. It's stiffer to turn than my DSSD, but it's not too stiff. It takes 120 clicks to get around the face. One small complaint I have is that the triangle on top doesn't line up precisely with the center of the 12 o'clock marker. It's just a hair off on either side. It is barely noticeable, but if you look hard you can see it.

Something else I noticed when I was examining the photos is that the "2" and the "0" of the 20 are not aligned with each other. They seem to be tilted in toward each other slightly. All the rest of the numbers line up with each other. I don't know if this is common with this version or if it's just my specific watch. You can see it in a few photos above.

Another big gripe with this rep is the pearl not being centered in the black triangle. As far as I can tell, this one looks pretty close to perfect.

PO06.jpg

The Bracelet - I love the Omega bracelets; this one especially. The top is brushed and the sides are polished. The links have a nice rounded form to them and it fits comfortably on my wrist. There's only one link that binds a little and that's the half link. I will probably take it off and clean and lube the pins to see it that helps. If not, I'll probably replace it with a full link.

The clasp is a nice deployment clasp with opposing buttons on the side to unlock it. The engraving on the back of the clasp looks really nice. It's a little hard to get it to click shut without pushing the release buttons, so that's what I do. Once it's on it holds securely. The clasp also has a smaller deployment clasp on the other side to fit over a wet suit. The engraving on the inside of the clasp also looks nice.

PO12.jpg

PO13.jpg

PO14.jpg

PO15.jpg

PO16.jpg

PO17.jpg

PO18.jpg

PO19.jpg

PO20.jpg

PO21.jpg

PO22.jpg

The Case Back - This was one part of the watch I was pleasantly surprised with. The photos I've seen of the back make it look cheap. It isn't. The pattern around the Sea Monster is really nicely machined. The Sea Monster itself looks really nice. The "anti-counterfitting" logo is also nicely engraved. I think the "Planet Ocean" engraving could be a little deeper, but it's sharp and looks nice regardless. The standard serial number is nicely etched in the 7 o'clock lug.

PO23.jpg

PO24.jpg

PO25.jpg

PO26.jpg

PO27.jpg

PO29.jpg

PO28.jpg

The Movement - I ordered this watch with the Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement. Someone asked me if it was a genuine "Swiss" ETA. I have no idea how to tell. I took some photos of it so that some of the more experienced folks can chime in. The rotor is labeled "Omega 2500", but it is a thin metallic sticker with the wording and some design. On mine, the sticker was not centered very well on the rotor, and some of the glue that holds it on seeped out of the top. I'm planing on removing the sticker and cleaning the rotor off soon.

PO36.jpg

PO33.jpg

PO35.jpg

PO34.jpg

The Fit - I have a 7' wrist. I took 3 full links off the bracelet and it fits pretty nicely. I opted for the 42mm version of this watch but I think I could have pulled off the 45mm version as well. The 45mm probably would have had more presence, and it definitely would have demanded more attention. However, now that I have it I am very happy with the size of this one.

PO37.jpg

Conclusion:

I spent $318USD on this watch. Considering the gen costs more than $4,000USD I’d say I got a huge bargain! In my opinion every watch enthusiast should have one of these.

The watch is absolutely beautiful. As with all reps, it has it's flaws, but they are minor and do not detract from the beauty of this watch.

I couldn't be happier with this purchase, and I'm extremely happy with my experience with Andrew at Trusty Time (www.yourtrustytime.com).

In fact, I'm placing another order for the Tag Aquaracer 500M with him right now!

If there’s anything in my review that wasn’t clear or if you have any additional questions I can answer, don’t hesitate to ask.

I hope you've all found this review informative and helpful!

Edited by vandal.tbh
  • Like 1

Nice review and pics! I too just picked up a 42mm "version 5" PO. It's a great rep.. hopefully the crown/tube will last a little while before replacing. (I hear they strip easily) Anyways.. went over to a friend's house who has the gen and held them side-by-side. The first thing we noticed was the pearl was slightly different, the caseback wasn't quite as nicely textured around the sea monster (wouldn't know unless side-by-side), HE valve was slightly bigger and the chamfering around the bezel was slightly different. In the wild.. it's hard to tell it's a rep unless you have the gen side-by-side. All-in-all.. great rep.

Are you sure it is rep? :)

Haha, oh yes. Just take a look at the lame sticker on the rotor! I gotta take that off.

As far as the outside, the 20 on the bezel is the only flaw I can find. I've heard the height of the crown and He valve are shorter on the gen but I'm not sure anyone could see that unless they were side by side.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with it.

Haha, oh yes. Just take a look at the lame sticker on the rotor! I gotta take that off.

As far as the outside, the 20 on the bezel is the only flaw I can find. I've heard the height of the crown and He valve are shorter on the gen but I'm not sure anyone could see that unless they were side by side.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with it.

I didnt look in movement, but the outside is really nice.And I would rather choose right pearl placement than misalignment of 20.

First of all, thanks for a great review. Shows just how great the orange PO is. :clap:

Now on with the movement.

I'd like to say that I'm almost 100% sure it is a Swiss ETA, it seems legit to me. I must say that it would be extremely difficult to know if this is really a true ETA without tearing the movement apart. The main difference between Swiss movement and Seagull or Hangzhou is in assembly and QC. The main focus being bridge alignment , the pallet bridge shape and pallet fork quality. That being said, by the way the ETA logo is engraved (it should have a burnt effect at the edges and should be sharp, because it's lazer engravement) , the shape of the balance wheel (as far as I can see from the images), the regulator and the cap jewel, I'd say it's a gen ETA.

post-41517-0-81379000-1329065593.jpg

Alas this discussion emphasizes the most important guideline for every rep collector: First choose your dealer, then choose your watch. As a regular Joe it would be very hard for any of us to identify a gen ETA from pictures, without an up-close look on different movement parts. In light of the precision and the quality of the reps and rep movements, you have to trust your dealer to sell you the correct product. Sure, you need to check on him or her, but in this game it's hard to get by without some basic trust, from money transfer to the final product received.

Lovely review vandal, some amazing photos and great write-up.

On wether it's gen eta I agree with Ade, no expert here, but from the shock housing area and engravings around the regulator area and stampings it 'looks' swiss eta. You would need closer macro shots of this area to get a better idea, and tbh I agree totally with ade that to know for absolute sure you would literally need a 'full' teardown and disassembly of the movement. But from a brief look it does look 'gen'.

These days it's so hard to tell, some are true swiss eta, some are old swiss eta (needing service) others are reconditioned eta (with a mix of old swiss and new chinese parts) some are franken swiss eta. That's why I always say go with the eta clone...at least you know for sure exactly what it is.

It's reckoned by many these days that hardly any swiss eta are true swiss eta anymore. Now this may all sound a bit negative but many have done teardowns across the fora, and many of the results are surprising. I think the main thing here is are we getting a brand new out of the box swiss eta movement when we pay the money for one?....probably not!

It might actually be of benefit to rep buyers in the future now that eta are restricting sale of the movements and parts, it's possible in the future we do end up getting proper sellita movements instead of eta swiss?? movements in our more expensive purchases.

I tend to agree with cougar. Moreover if someone would ask me which one to buy, I'd say save your money and get the asian clone, have it serviced and you'd have a perfect watch for many years to come. But for me that warm "fock the system" feeling of "even my movement is swiss and I got the watch for 10% of it's price" is well worth the extra 80$-100$, but hey it's just me.

Thank you very much, a great read!

Vandal, your watch looks amazing. You make me wonder if I should have gone with the orange bezel anyway. :p Great bezel and great pictures!

I read that some people change the clasp. How come? I'm by NO means knowledgeable about these things, but the clasp looks perfectly fine to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice on the movement guys! I'll read up on those links you posted Cougar. I trust Andrew to provide what he's advertising, and I noted that my movement looked identical to the one he's got on his website. Someone asked the question, and I had no idea myself.

@Lovecraft, I've heard some people talk about the springs that hold the release buttons in place and how they get bent or something. Mine seem fine, so I hope it stays that way. I love the clasp on this watch.

Thanks for the advice on the movement guys! I'll read up on those links you posted Cougar. I trust Andrew to provide what he's advertising, and I noted that my movement looked identical to the one he's got on his website. Someone asked the question, and I had no idea myself.

@Lovecraft, I've heard some people talk about the springs that hold the release buttons in place and how they get bent or something. Mine seem fine, so I hope it stays that way. I love the clasp on this watch.

I've been trying to figuring out if my AT has a real ETA or not. The model is old enough to have it, but I really have no idea. It's supposedly an ETA 2846.

As for the PO - I haven't gotten it yet but I think it will show up tomorrow. It left customs in Oslo, Norway this Friday. Not too bad considering I ordered it last Monday. Anyway, I don't expect it to be a real ETA. I'm happy with a Seagull or something along those lines. It will most probably be the same movement you have in yours.

A new gen clasp is £100. Feels like overkill if it's just the springs. That said, compared to the dial or bezel it's a bargain ;)

Hi Vandal, yeah i know I sound like i'm a bit of a pessimist on the eta vs clone issue. Tbh you've got a good dealer with Andrew so you can't go too far wrong. I didn't mean to make it sound like it's silly buying swiss over clone or anything like that. As Ade says many rep buyers do it without knowing either way and are perfectly happy once everything is working as it should...and that is the main thing.

The whole issue deserves a thread of it's own so I don't want to throw a great review thread off on a tangent with any more discussion on this issue. It was more reactive to galmanias questions and was trying to be brutally honest with him, either way...in a nutshell afaik, with all our reps, the clones are as good as the Swiss and the Swiss are as good as the clones and every one of them probably needs a service out of the box anyway, ......so as long as they work fine for a few years before a service we are doing well. ;)

Anyway, still amazed by the pics in your reviews, what camera are you using? Although I think it's more user skills than camera itself...you make it look even better in the photos than the reps do in real life, ...superb dial details..the AR almost looks transparent (as AR should but the PO reps are hard to photograph with the very strong tint)

Also glad to hear the crown/tube on this one feels good, should last just fine if it's as substantial as you describe....just don't go at it with gorilla strength like you used on the last one ;):D ....joking! Wear it well!