When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Omega Planet Ocean 42mm Orange Bezel

vandal.tbh

Hi Vandal, yeah i know I sound like i'm a bit of a pessimist on the eta vs clone issue. Tbh you've got a good dealer with Andrew so you can't go too far wrong. I didn't mean to make it sound like it's silly buying swiss over clone or anything like that. As Ade says many rep buyers do it without knowing either way and are perfectly happy once everything is working as it should...and that is the main thing.

The whole issue deserves a thread of it's own so I don't want to throw a great review thread off on a tangent with any more discussion on this issue. It was more reactive to galmanias questions and was trying to be brutally honest with him, either way...in a nutshell afaik, with all our reps, the clones are as good as the Swiss and the Swiss are as good as the clones and every one of them probably needs a service out of the box anyway, ......so as long as they work fine for a few years before a service we are doing well. ;)

Anyway, still amazed by the pics in your reviews, what camera are you using? Although I think it's more user skills than camera itself...you make it look even better in the photos than the reps do in real life, ...superb dial details..the AR almost looks transparent (as AR should but the PO reps are hard to photograph with the very strong tint)

Also glad to hear the crown/tube on this one feels good, should last just fine if it's as substantial as you describe....just don't go at it with gorilla strength like you used on the last one ;):D ....joking! Wear it well!

Haha, yea I know what you mean about the crown...but I swear it wasn't me!

Thanks for the compliments about the photos. I'm using my daughter's Nikon D3100. Funny thing is that I used to be a pretty good photographer back in the day (when we used to use this stuff called "film"). So recently I wanted to get a nice camera and get back into it. But my wife was all "it's too expensive, just use your iphone", so I forgot about it.

Then my daughter decides she wants to get into photography and my wife goes and buys her the Nikon and some sweet lenses for Christmas. And I'm there like "wtf?".

So now I gotta borrow my daughter's camera to take good pictures. But I guess i should count myself lucky to just have access to my daughter's camera...that my wife bought her...with my money.

I just looked at pictures of more than 20 different "gen" PO's on Google and every one of them had the same "20". Maybe mine is a gen!

My 42mm PO has the same issue with the 20 and the 50 is a little off as well. I noticed it a couple of days after receiving the watch and of course I also did a Google image search to see what the gens looked like. I was surprised to see that the gen bezels have the same "flaw". I'm guessing that it's an unavoidable result of printing on a curved surface.

Edited by It'sAboutTime

So now I gotta borrow my daughter's camera to take good pictures. But I guess i should count myself lucky to just have access to my daughter's camera...that my wife bought her...with my money.

Louis CK moment right there... :clap2::clown:

Have to agree - the photos are of the best seen on this site. It always amazes me how the quality of the lens (and the camera body, but especially the lens) transforms the photo.

I'm guessing that it's an unavoidable result of printing on a curved surface.

I agree with Time, the printing is just fine. Fits the gen printing. Just check out the Omega website.

Also - not directly related to the orange PO but nevertheless:

post-41517-0-27835400-1329117293.png

rep pearl, right? Wrong. This is directly from Omega site. Is it a conspiracy? Does Omage use reps for its site's photoshoots? Or is it simply that our reps just got that good? I believe the later. :)

Thanks for the info on the camera Vandal, :D typical behaviour from all women on the camera issue, we're always supposed to make do with what we have, we're supposed to 'innovate' rather than throw money away :D......but when it comes to them, spending money is always a necessity....new shoes, new appliance, getting their hair done....you'd think the survival of the human species depended on it :D

btw...I think the bezel 20 issue is an optical illusion or something :) it's definitely on the gens aswell.

If anybody wants to know what the gen "experts" would think of this watch:

forums*watchuseek*com/f441/want-buy-omega-planet-ocean-42mm-647773.html

replace the asterisks with dots.

I wonder who opened that thread.. Although it's nice to know that we know are Omegas better than them, and it's another confirmation for the quality of reps, It's a bad idea to feed them with potential information.

Edited by kramerica2

^^^ Oh oh. Whoever posted that thread is very very unwise. What's the point in it? We know it's a damn 1:1, and trust me, it's much more easier to fool a WUS than RWGer. It's like sending Premier League player to girl's summer school league and applaud him for scoring 20 goals per match.

Beyond that, it draws absolutely unnecessary attention to this forum and to vandal and his watch specifically. I just don't get this...

If it's someone from here, trying to be smartass, come on man, take it down. We know it's good, We know it's as close to gen as it gets. What are you trying to prove?

I dunno, maybe I have it wrong but I think the poster might have been just posting to ask for feedback?, either he is completely innocent and just doesn't know, or is being too smart for his own good and drawing attention, (which is a no no!) hard to tell. It is the fake busters section of the site so complete new potential customers asking for feedback is not uncommon. Lots of ebay stuff goes on here to be 'vetted'. Either way he got the wrong answer.....I would hate to see any innocent sod shell out gen money for a rep though, that's also a big no no! It's a few days old now so maybe the damage is done?

It's like sending Premier League player to girl's summer school league and applaud him for scoring 20 goals per match.

:D

Well... It's vandal's photos of his own watch. I find it extremely hard to even imply that he's trying to sell his PO as a gen. LOL.

IMHO, someone is trying to be a smartass.

Sorry Ade, yeah your right, I must be having one of those days where I can't even see or read what is in front me :)

I didn't even realize until now that you said it that it was vandals watch and vandals photos, I just jumped to the link and posted and half read your comment...maybe I need more sleep! :D

In that case now that I see what you mean, what the hell is this Trillkiller playing at, blatant asking for trouble, he's an rwg member definitely, but not playing by rwg rules, if caught I hope hes banned!

.....As you can read from my previous comment Ade, what I now said seems totally out of context now that I read back over it.

After looking at vandals great photos again, how could I mistake or not notice the lovely red rug background :D

Again just looking at the photos, I'm probably in the best state of mind to be doing investigative work right now :)

...but who would have access to Vandals uncropped photos....other than Vandal himself? Maybe I'm outta line but Vandal please tell me you didn't post the pics on wus yourself for a laugh or for commentary? The thread didn't get much attention but regardless, unnecessary attention! The regulars if they got on thread over there would spot it easily as many of them have come into contact with the 5th gen po rep on that section, it's a great rep but there are plenty of 'tells' when you know what to look for!

What uncropped photos?I think that he (not vandal) just downloaded and uploaded again without problem.

Right see it, christ my browser, firefox, must be causing me problems this evening or something, pics on the first page of this thread weren't loading fully (except for the first 12 pics upto the lume shot) ....after that I was missing pics and imagined I saw what looked like new uncropped ones on WUS!!!....now I see em, in total, on both threads, yep they were just robbed and posted on wus....My humblest apologies vandal.tbh, (didn't think you would do something like that anyway)!

I should just go away and come back tomorrow or maybe the day after :wacko::fool::rolleyes:

Edit: Could somebody just remove all my previous posts upto "btw...I think the bezel 20 issue is an optical illusion or something :) it's definitely on the gens aswell."

:) That was that last thing I really said ;)

Tomorrow I'm gonna pm that guy over on wus, and ask him what is he playing at! Right, time for a drink before bed! ;)

Wow! I had to go back a page to see what you guys were talking about. Those are definitely my pictures, but I assure you I am not selling my watch. And I'd never try to sell it as a gen even if I were. I just did a search on eBay to see if someone is using my photos in a listing, but I couldn't find anything.

Hope it's not my wife trying to get rid of it. I haven't looked in my watch box today!

incredible watch and fantastic photos!

iv now decided im going to get a PO, although not the swiss movement... personally dont see the value in the upgrade (and il be having to get a upgrade leatrher strap anyway)! thanks for the review mate... lovely photos!

this might be a dumb question but can you freely change the metal bracelet versions to a leather strap?

I've not done it, but as long as you buy a strap that fits the lug width, it should be very easy.

i just order this Watch from same dealer after reading your review. had no plans of bying a rep before. gonna be my first!

//

Kristian from Sweden

I don't think you'll be disappointed! Good luck!