When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Omega Planet Ocean 42mm Orange Bezel

vandal.tbh

I've not done it, but as long as you buy a strap that fits the lug width, it should be very easy.

cheers mate, i just asked because its hard to find any pictures to compare the joining of the straps of the two (SS vs leather)

thanks for the help though!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, I've been wearing my Planet Ocean 42mm for a little while now and I have a few things to add to my original review.

1) First and foremost, the Crown. While it hasn't stripped yet, it is pretty difficult to screw back in. You have to put quite a bit of pressure on the crown while turning it to get it to start screwing. I'm thinking this is the reason that people have problems with the threads stripping out. I push it in pretty hard, then turn. Once the threads engage and it starts screwing back in, I kind of turn back and forth a little while I'm screwing to make sure it doesn't strip. This is a pain in the a$$. None of my other reps do this, and I think that for the money, the factories need to fix this problem. I am definitely going to replace the crown, tube and stem with a gen as soon as possible.

2) The Crystal. Well, it doesn't say it in the listing for this watch, but this crystal has double sided AR. How do I know? The top layer got scratched. Not sure how I did it, but I must have had the face of the watch pressed up against something metal, as there was an area around the 1 o'clock marker that got scratched off. You had to look at it at an angle against the light, but once you saw it...that's all you saw. It really irritated me more than I thought possible.

But I actually fixed it quite easily. I just polished off the top layer of AR. I know that it's double sided AR because when I hold it up to a light source, you see two reflections (one bouncing off the top surface of the crystal, and one bouncing off the back surface). The one off the top (after polishing) is a normal reflection, but the one off the back still has the blueish tint.

I polished it off by taping the entire watch and then cutting out the crystal with an exact-o knife. Then using a Dremel tool and some turtle wax rubbing compound, I buffed off the rest of the top coat of AR. I used "Never-dull" pads to finish it with a nice polished shine.

To be honest, I think I like the looks of the crystal now more than before. It has a very nice, high polished look to it, while still keeping a slight blueish tint.

3) The Half-Link. There is a half link in the bracelet that sticks. I am the only person in the world who could possibly notice it, but the center link gets stuck out just slightly enough to look weird. I want to replace it with a full link, but then I think the bracelet would be too loose. No one but me would ever notice. But I am the only person in the world that matters...

4) The size. I do kinda wish i would have gotten the 45mm. Compared to my Tag AR 500M, Rolex DSSD and PAM 177, this watch seems a bit 'dainty' on my wrist. Not so much that you would think it looks bad. In fact I guess most people would say it looks just right. I just like a slightly bigger watch.

I'm kind on the fence about this one. Maybe I'll go into the AD and try on the 45mm...

Despite everything I've said, this watch is still beautiful. I mean it's absolutely a gorgeous watch and I love it. None of my other watches even have one single issue, but this one is still my favorite. I just wish it didn't have these issues. Polishing off the AR was an excellent choice. I considered getting some AR put on it, but it just looks too good the way it is IMO. Once the crown/stem/tube are replaced, I think I'll have pretty close to a perfect watch.

Anyway, just wanted to give everyone the update!

Guest seamaster3

all replicas has issues my friend...only the original dont have...but this is game....if we dont need issues we must spend 3000euro for original PO..BUT HEY MUTCH MONEY!

all replicas has issues my friend...only the original dont have...but this is game....if we dont need issues we must spend 3000euro for original PO..BUT HEY MUTCH MONEY!

Galimanas, what issues does the PO rep you are selling have?

I know that my gen Bond SMP once it hit 5yrs needed a new He valve/tube, new click spring/barrel, and a new mainspring.....

Sent from this thing in my hand with Tapatalk...

Thanks for the update vandal.tbh, it's such a shame about the weak tubes, they are a bit of a nuisance! Better off factoring in the gen tube and crown into a purchase, almost essential at this stage. Also good idea to remove the AR, some blue AR's can be a little overpoweringly tinted, the clearer AR is nicer I think.

You'd be surprised how many issues the gen POs have. Especially with the movement.

Totally agree, bloody coaxial 2500 a, b and c all with horrible issues, and the new 2500D a further revision correction for the infamous 2500C... If you got a good 2500, fair enough.... they are amazingly accurate when working properly, but too many little teething problems and too little positive response from Omega in dealing with the issues have left a sour taste in the mouth of many. If they were laptop batteries that could potentially explode they would've been recalled, but because the are veblen goods then it's put down as merely a case of an 'unfortunate isolated' malfunction here and there. The problem is it is much more widespread than Omega and some (fanboys) would care to admit. It will be truly interesting to see how the 8500 compares over the next 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update:

My crown (stem) has failed again. Like I said in the original review, the first watch I received the stem was simply too short and engaged the movement while the crown was being screwed back in. I sent the watch back, and was assured by Andrew that he replaced the watch with a new watch.

Well guess what? He didn't. I just opened up the back on this watch and it is the exact same on I sent back. I can tell because the "Omega" decal that is on the rotor is misaligned, and the is a small tool mark that I put on the movement holder inside the case.

The watch is now doing the exact same thing.

I will never again buy from Andrew. You lie to me once, and you have lost my business forever.

Hope it was worth it Andrew...

No, maybe I will contact him, but I've had the watch for about 5 months now. And really, it's not the fact that it broke (again), but the fact that I was told he would replace the watch with a new one and then did not. And to be clear, I did not request that he do this...he offered it. He could have told me he was only repairing the watch, but he very clearly told me that he was replacing it with a new one.

I guess I should email him. I think I should wait until I'm not so angry..

My plan right now is to replace the movement altogether. I'm searching the forum and the internet for a good guide. Anybody have any links?

• 3 weeks later...

Great review! I ordered the PAM 177 from Andrew after reading your review.

Not sure if this was mentioned but I noticed that the stamps on the clasp is not correct. It should not have "Professional" on it. Not a big deal but I am a stickler.

Keep up the great work!