When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218-201/A #2 is almost done... Pics added of both DONE, post #9

projectologist

I was working on 2 builds at the same time (this one goes to a friend), just need to fine-tune the lever so it closes with the right snap.

The movement is the same Swiss movement that came with the gen 318 (same plate finish and same ETA-choc anti-shock system).

I'm addicted to 201/A's... this one is #5 going back to my first when I joined RWG in 2008 :)

photo201aa.jpg

Definitely no AR on the C3 crystal...

photo201ac.jpg

photo201ab.jpg

Looks great! What are the specs?

Thanks!

w0lf modded 111J case set (includes DSN newborn crown and tube, double screw lug bars and polished rehaut)

Fatty CG (small run project)

FGD dial and hands

Jakob case back

Swiss 6497-1

C3 crystal

w0lf did a great job reshaping the case set to Pre-V spec, incorporating the little subtleties that set the case apart from current Luminors.

Everything went together nicely, no surprises :)

Are the dials the same version? In a couple of the pics they look different. I may be hallucinating but I am not sure which one I like better. :)

Identical dials from the same batch. Combination of iPhone optics and no AR. Also the pics were taken with the watches resting on a bar stool with a domed seat cushion so they are slightly angled from each other. If I had taken side by sides on a flat surface you would see no difference.

You can see in this pic, the dial on the right looks lighter, the one on the left blacker. The glare on the watch crystal on the right is greater and lightens the dial color and makes the indices look a tad fatter, but in reality it's just as black with identical indices as the watch on the left which is angled just enough to not have any glare hitting the crystal and washing out the dial. Plus the watch on the right is at the edge of the pic where iPhone lens distortion starts getting ugly.

T201ee.jpg

I started this week with the 390, trying to ween myself off wearing the recently completed 201/A for a solid week... but I missed the king of OP logo dials. If I had silly money to spend, the gen version would be on my wrist 24/7.

Couple of quick phone pics from today of the 201/A I'm keeping...

201acc.jpg

201add.jpg

I just keep coming back. Stunning piece. If i had that one it would be getting a lot fo wrist time on my end as well. Frankly, a lot more wrist time than my gens. Between all the work done on it and the special parts that is one I know you look down at your wrist and it brings back fond memories of getting the project together.

• 1 month later...