When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Steelfish?

darth

1. case looks to be the better one...

2. nice to see the rehaut markers lumed...

3. tough to tell if the color is similar to the gen...gen is creme...this looks to be a little lighter - similar to the old "silver/white" dial...

4. tough to tell - but it doesn't look like they were able to get the concentric circles of the dial to reflect light like the gen...that's the biggest diff in rep vs. gen...the gen dial really reflects the light...

5. the lume still isn't as flush/smooth as the gen...matter of fact, if you look at the 2005 steelfish x-plus gen, the lume application on this rep is similar...the current steelfish gen has terrific smooth lume fills...

6. has a nice breitling date font...

7. colorless ar?...wrong - needs to have that nice Breitling blue hue...

overall - a nice build...especially the lume...dial details, case details seem to be same...looks like the best part of this is that the dw, dial lume and movement are nice adders...and they used the better case...it's definitely one of the best builds i've seen...the AR being coloreless isn't a good thing...and the jury is still out on the concentric circles...

here's how a gen dial catches light:

steelfishrh.jpg

should this thread be eventually moved to the Breitling forum?!

Dear Mods,

Please move this thread to the Breitling forum. Thanks!

Everyone else,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures! I wanted to buy a gen Steelfish from an AD recently, but could not find a SOSF in stock.

Regarding this recent re-appearance- it re-triggered all sorts of regret... I should have bought one years ago.

Perhaps a really good rep will fill that void in my soul. Here's to 2012 bringing a wave of super Breitling reps!

Dear Mods,

Please move this thread to the Breitling forum. Thanks!

Everyone else,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures! I wanted to buy a gen Steelfish from an AD recently, but could not find a SOSF in stock.

Regarding this recent re-appearance- it re-triggered all sorts of regret... I should have bought one years ago.

Perhaps a really good rep will fill that void in my soul. Here's to 2012 bringing a wave of super Breitling reps!

This Steelfish is actually a very well done rep. Im thinking of ording It today.

Im still waiting for them to bring back the Seawolfs...got to have a yellow SW In the old collection. ;)

Mike

I've seen the pics on Tony, Andrew and Josh sites, it is available only in white, I was about to email Mary to get one of hers in black (not a fan of the white one) when i heard of the H factory new SOS, now I'm wondering if the H factory will come later also in blue and black, and how good is it compare to Mary's offering to justify close to $63.00 to $83.00 more + shipping?

colorless ar, lousy marker lume fills (very uneven)...and the black and blue do not have the reflective sheen of the gen...and the blue from the website pix, still seems to be wrong...case is same as the older reps...besides the use of superlume and the rehaut lumed markers, the only other thing that's nice about this new offering is the dw (the font looks to be crisp and thick)...

interestingly enough, the silver (white/creme) gen's dial doesn't reflect the light like the black and blue...so the rep is close in that regard...but the color is off...

let's do some math...

1) buy the better swiss v1 fish (similar to Jkay's) for approx $300...(yes they are rare these days, i know)

2) relume it for less than $200 (hands, dial, rehaut)...

cost - $500....cost of new rep with shipping ($400)...hmmm....

btw - will be nice to know if the nickel-plated swiss movement in the v2 is indeed swiss/eta...can't wait for someone to shoot a macro of the balance wheel jewel on this one...

all in all - if you're dying for a fish, this one's available...but at 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a pre-owned gen, i'm not so sure...

Ok...here are a few pics of the SOSF I got from Sead. Swiss ETA although I have not pulled the back of to confirm yet. I will take more pics later but here are a few as well as a short video to get us started. Also a few pics with my older "Swiss ETA SOSF I got last year from Silix.

Enjoy

d38281af.jpg

6f0ff9a7.jpg

022afb3b.jpg

aa6145ec.jpg

d509b38b.jpg

ba486250.jpg

5d5141ac.jpg

12a2b4db.jpg

83fc8ada.jpg

e273fbea.jpg

96fcb2ff.jpg