When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Steelfish?

darth

So when should we expect these new SOSFs to be coming out? how does the crown and tube feel when screwing down? My beautiful white steelfish has been sitting in pieces for the last year.. Crown and tube stripped.. I tried to find a replacement crown tube to no avail and since then.. it's just been sitting there staring at me for the last year!!!!!! I think it really is in my top 3 watches ever

Very nice Snpr....thanks for taking the time to post those fantastic pics and video.

The white dial may be a little off the gens.. but It seems to be so close that no one will ever notice....especially with the bluish ar reflections.

The only thing Im not crazy about Is the price...but Im sure when the SW come out they will be about the same as far as price Is concerned.

Well done...thanks. :)

Mike

So when should we expect these new SOSFs to be coming out? how does the crown and tube feel when screwing down? My beautiful white steelfish has been sitting in pieces for the last year.. Crown and tube stripped.. I tried to find a replacement crown tube to no avail and since then.. it's just been sitting there staring at me for the last year!!!!!! I think it really is in my top 3 watches ever

They are out now. I think in all color versions. I got mine for about $360.

In the pictures the watch look superb, I don't see many of the things hackR mentioned, the bezel looks excellent, like nothing I've seen before on a sosf rep. dial color seems to be still lighter than gen, and in other pictures I've seen lume tone was different on dials, hands and rehaut, but not to bad in this pictures. In general I think $400 in today's economy is kind of high, but for the watch you get out of the box from china to America price is ok with me, I haven't seen a gen sosf X-plus for $1200 to $1600 myself, most are in the low to mid two thousands, but I haven't been really looking for one out there.

the dial on this doesn't look too bad at all...the lume is applied rather well...would like to see a movement shot...

re: my previous comment...these show a slight hue with the "colorless" ar...that is more like gen...so that's good...the dial color is still off - but only noticeable to breit freaks like us...i still stand by the fact that the older ones were as nice - and with genuine eta movements...if these are gen - then the price is warranted...but we all know that many are clones...all in all, a nice piece if you don't want to go the modded route...

regarding "pre-owned" prices...you can get a pre-owned steelfish for $1500-$2000usd depending on condition and whether or not it's been sent for service or not...from what i've seen the blue "pre-owned" fetch more than the other colors...

It is shallow but...it is also super crisp and perfectly engraved. Other models including my old fish suffered from this greatly. Given the choice of deeper flawed numbers or this one I would take this in a heartbeat as it appears more gen like. Most who do not study as we do would assume its gen because of the perfected number engraving. Even a noob would not expect a Gen to have botched bezel numbers.

Great news on the blue AR!!!!

Pearl is worse, bezel engravement is just terrible way too shallow

Pearl looks more even than mine.. my current sosf pearl is more off center than this and doesnt look as flat.

secondly. I couldn't disagree with you more on the engraving. This new engraving looks great. Maybe you're just used to the deep engravings of the previous reps.. but this one looks soo crisp its incredible.

The tube and crown are nicely done. Crown screws in smoothly to the base without any hang ups. It sits flush with the case without any contact with the bezel unlike my Silix version. Crown is nicely machined and the B is crisp.

The clasp locks positive without any play in the locking tab. It has a very positive snap upon closure. The engraving is done just as well as everywhere else.

I took the watch into water with out any issues. Tested to 5ATM

ea45735b.jpg

9358b36f.jpg

03e6e54e.jpg

576c516d.jpg

b3540d68.jpg

02468046.jpg

01223e8e.jpg

bb066c49.jpg

eb3d46d3.jpg

Also a few pics with my older "Swiss ETA SOSF I got last year from Silix.

e273fbea.jpg

@Snpr --> this new one is actually a nice rep - i'll still hold to the fact that the best early versions of the steelfish are slightly better...but this one is still very good...if you look at the Silix piece, you'll see how the dial is all wrong...the larger markers, the smaller numbers, and noticeably the date window...the date window should be much closer to the rehaut "track"...also the case edge should be visible next to the bezel...you'll see that the silix version's bezel extends to the watch case edge...lastly, the best versions of the fish have ar similiar to this new rep - not the ultra-blue of the silix rep's glass...lastly you can see how the bezel engravings are too small and scrunched compared to the new one...the bezel engravings are crisp - could be deeper - but nonetheless, well done...just pointing out a few of the diffs...also if you look at the crown guards, the good ones have a large flat then transitions smoothly to the back...stuff i've picked up over the years...

i've spent far too many hours understanding the various nuances of the steelfish rep...i eventually picked up a gen black dial - making a franken with the best steelfish components...but having that only made me more interested in getting the gen...so a gen blue '08 is enroute as i type...there's nothing like the gen blue dial!...

oh yeah, can i see a profile of the crown side - shooting the crown side directly and moreover shooting the profile from the "6" o'clock view......thanks!...wondering about the crown guard flat and how it transitions to the case back...looks to be the same case as the best older models...the profile will tell a lot...it does look to be the same case as the v1s...which is excellent...the bezel looks a little different, but the numbers are nicely done and sized - notice how they extend closer to the bezel edge...that's a good thing!

The only minor disappointment for me Is the bezel engravings...I do wish they were a bit deeper.

That being said...this is a very well done rep that I would be proud to own. Im still holding out for the yellow SW. With my luck..as soon as I purchased one of these the SW would come out the very next day...with my luck that is. :lol:

Thanks again for the outstandings pics Snpr...well done. :thumbs:

Mike

Ever since my earlier version of fish was stolen, I've waited for a decent rep to come out.

About 2 months ago, I thought that it might never happen since the gen is no longer produced (stupid Breitling - took a beautiful watch and gave us ugly new versions of it), and I tried to get a gen at an AD. Luckily, I couldn't get one.

Ever since the black one came out, I've waited for some decent pics of the rep (thanks snpr), and I'm extremely pleased with it. Ordered one from trusty today.

BTW - Who's making decisions at Breitling? There isn't a single gen today that I actually like. They had such amazing looking watches, why did they feel the need to replace them with ugly looking pieces?

BTW 2 - I know and accept the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.. and I do know that a lot of people like them, and I don't mean to insult them. It's only my personal opinion, and I'm probably the minority here, since Breitling probably did some homework before introducing the new watches. It just that it annoyed me so much, I'm a bit extreme on the subject. Wear your Breiltlings well...