When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Steelfish?

darth

@Snpr...any chance you can open the case and take some macros of the movement/inside...especially of the balance wheel jewl assembly so we can tell if its eta or clone?...

if you don't have a tool, wad up some packing tape - sticky side out - and then press and turn...it should come off easily enough...thanks...R

@Snpr...any chance you can open the case and take some macros of the movement/inside...especially of the balance wheel jewl assembly so we can tell if its eta or clone?...

if you don't have a tool, wad up some packing tape - sticky side out - and then press and turn...it should come off easily enough...thanks...R

Hack R. No problem but it won't be until later tonight. At work today.

One thing that's also wrong on the new rep Fish is the lume color.

It's ugly green uncharged, while the gen lume is pure white. Also the bracelet SELs should be a bit recessed between the lugs. Rep SELs are sloppy.

The rep is a great representation of this watch but still... go for the gen. It's superior in every aspect and it's one of the nicest watches money can buy. And it's not even expensive for what it offers.

1a.jpg

1.jpg

One thing that's also wrong on the new rep Fish is the lume color.

It's ugly green uncharged, while the gen lume is pure white. Also the bracelet SELs should be a bit recessed between the lugs. Rep SELs are sloppy.

The rep is a great representation of this watch but still... go for the gen. It's superior in every aspect and it's one of the nicest watches money can buy. And it's not even expensive for what it offers.

ByTor... about time! I was wondering how long we were gonna have to wait for the SEL comment and your comment about the SOSF blue being the world's best gen buy. :)

I can't help but wonder if this will make the original swissfish go up even higher in price. the last one I saw for sale went for more than the owner paid to the TD, and was sold in less than 3 minutes on RWI.

that'd be great! my original swiss fish is in PERFECT condition except for a stripped crown and tube :( myabe i can fund this new one with the sale of the old! (

Anyone been able to confirm whether the white dial is creme in colour or more like the earlier white version? BTW, looking at the vids on Josh's site, the AR does to have "a hint" of blue/purple AR i noticed, so maybe not as people have been making out regarding AR. Maybe someone can shed there opinion? Rob? :)

the new rep does have a slight blue hue to it...so it looks to be closer to gen ar...i have compared the ar on my v1/early release rep steelfish to my new blue gen steelfish...the breitling ar is just different...but this looks to be close to the best rep ar there is...not clear and not overly blue...

i compared the pix of the new white/creme/silver rep to my v1/early release piece and the dials look similar...very similar...my gut reaction is they resurrected the older dials for this one...and added better lume and the previously missing lume markers on the rehaut...for reference, Lanikai has a great post of his asian and swiss white fish...hunt it down to compare...

@BT -- affectionately disagree on on the gen fish lume color...i will admit its probably 2/3 c3 and 1/3 c1, but it does have a slight - key word is slight - light green uncharged color...but the minute it hits the smallest shread of light it turns green...the lume on the fish is verrrry bright...

all in all - this new fish looks to be pretty darn good - out of the box...especially in white/creme/silver...compared to the gen, the concentric circles on this color appear less "shiny/sunburst" than the blue or black...

i've stated before, that from all my "research" the steelfish was assembled in various configurations - and to get the "best" you had to assemble one of the best parts...which means buying multiple watches...so even tho $400usd is a lot, a single good quality fish with a gen eta should sell between $250-$300usd ---> if you can find one for sale...so all in all, i don't think $400usd is out of whack at all...yes - its high...but there's a lot of reps in this price range...

as for this price compared to pre-owned --> a nicely cared for pre-owned fish will cost $1500-2000usd...with the blue costing slightly more than the white/creme/silver or black within this range...i got a great deal on the low side of this range on an '08 blue fish that essentially was in the field only 3 years...there's enough quality/fit/finish differences to warrant what i paid...not to mention it being a chronometer grade piece...as BT says, this is one of the best valued versatile pieces out there...not to mention if you ever get the chance to submerge yourself to 6600ft/2000m, you won't need to change your watch...

Hi folks. I have the old "super-rep", blue dial, swiss (verified) 2836-2 movement. This new model has better hour markers, flatter numerals at 6-9-12, closer to the Gen. But I think the pearl is slightly too big, as it also was on the old model. Bracelet on this looks (from the pictures) to be a little better finished. My bracelet is not very well finished, especially the clasp has some course finish at certain angles here and there. Bracelet is possibly the biggest tell, GEN from REP. The Gen bracelets are truly superbly finished with soft, nice angles and no uneven cuts, surfaces and lines. Lock on my clasp is a little slow. You don't get the "click-with-a-statement" as you should expect from a watch in this class, if it was a Gen. The lock on my SA V3 is much better, but not super.

They do the new Oysterbracelets better, if one should compare.

The lock on my DSSD is super-firm and nice, even I should want somewhat better overall finish of the brushed surfaces.