When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Called Out On My Rep.......by My Wife!

strat22

Called out on my rep.......by my wife!

Just a funny story that only my fellow replica compatriots can appreciate.

Over the weekend, my wife and I attended the wedding of a high-school friend of mine. I figured that I would be running into some old friends from high-school at the wedding, so I decided to wear my $108 'Rolex' Sub that I purchased from Trusty earlier this year. After the ceremony, there was a cocktail hour which allowed all the guests to mingle (and drink) while the wedding party took pictures.

So, while we're milling around the crowd, I ran into an old high-school buddy of mine. Just for some background on this guy, in the 10 years since graduation, he's done pretty well for himself and he isn't afraid of showing it off. He drove his new Mercedes to the wedding, wore an expensive suit, his wife had a huge diamond ring, etc. Oh yeah, and he was wearing a genuine Day/Date.

Anyway, he immediately spotted my "Rolex" and asked if he could see it. So, I cautiously take it off, completely expecting him to call me out on my rep. He gives it a good examination and says that he really likes the sub and how he's thinking of getting one...blah, blah, blah. Then, he proceeds to tell me all about how he hates when people wear fake Rolexes. Uh-oh I think, as I start to get the feeling that he's going to call me out. He then goes on to explain how good he is at spotting fake Rolexes and he can definitely tell that mine is.......REAL. Haha. At this point, I was just trying not to laugh. :bleh:

He complimented my good taste and handed me back my watch. Then, as if on cue, my wife walks over. I then tell my wife that my buddy really likes my watch, as I give her a subtle wink to indicate that he doesn't know it's a rep. At first I think she's going along with it and says, "Yes, that was my anniversary gift to him for being such a great husband. Maybe for our 10th anniversary, I'll get him a real one."

So, I had him all impressed, thinking I was some hotshot wearing my Rolex, and then the wife comes along and sinks my Battleship!

Luckily, he was fascinated with how good the rep was. We then had a 15 min conversation about the watch and how good reps had become. He was really surprised that my rep was so inexpensive. Then, he asked how he could get one. Haha. So, all in all, it was fun...but it still sucks to get called out on your rep...especially by your own wife.

Edited by strat22

Called out on my rep.......by my wife!

Just a funny story that only my fellow replica compatriots can appreciate.

Over the weekend, my wife and I attended the wedding of a high-school friend of mine. I figured that I would be running into some old friends from high-school at the wedding, so I decided to wear my $108 'Rolex' Sub that I purchased from Trusty earlier this year. After the ceremony, there was a cocktail hour which allowed all the guests to mingle (and drink) while the wedding party took pictures.

So, while we're milling around the crowd, I ran into an old high-school buddy of mine. Just for some background on this guy, in the 10 years since graduation, he's done pretty well for himself and he isn't afraid of showing it off. He drove his new Mercedes to the wedding, wore an expensive suit, his wife had a huge diamond ring, etc. Oh yeah, and he was wearing a genuine Day/Date.

Anyway, he immediately spotted my "Rolex" and asked if he could see it. So, I cautiously take it off, completely expecting him to call me out on my rep. He gives it a good examination and says that he really likes the sub and how he's thinking of getting one...blah, blah, blah. Then, he proceeds to tell me all about how he hates when people wear fake Rolexes. Uh-oh I think, as I start to get the feeling that he's going to call me out. He then goes on to explain how good he is at spotting fake Rolexes and he can definitely tell that mine is.......REAL. Haha. At this point, I was just trying not to laugh. :bleh:

He complimented my good taste and handed me back my watch. Then, as if one cue, my wife walks over. I then tell my wife that my buddy really likes my watch, as I give her a subtle wink to indicate that he doesn't know it's a rep. At first I think she's going along with it and says, "Yes, that was my anniversary gift to him for being such a great husband. Maybe for our 10th anniversary, I'll get him a real one."

So, I had him all impressed, thinking I was some hotshot wearing my Rolex, and then the wife comes along and sinks my Battleship!

Luckily, he was fascinated with how good the rep was. We then had a 15 min conversation about the watch and how good reps had become. He was really surprised that my rep was so inexpensive. Then, he asked how he could get one. Haha. So, all in all, it was fun...but it still sucks to get called out on your rep...especially by your own wife.

LOL...Wow!!! That does suck! But, hey, you may have convinced another on how close a rep is to a gen.

LOL,,,good story. My wife doesn’t get this watch thing at all. I got my wife a nice rolex from Joshua and it is decent but any AD could tell its a rep. We took some of her jewelry in to be fixed at a high end AD and she holds her wrist out with the rollie rep right in the ADs face so he could put her bracelet on. I just walked over and looked at the FMs.

Of course, there were no hard feelings and the wife and I had a good laugh over it. :D

Great point about saving money though, I might have to work that angle and get myself another watch!

Anyway, he immediately spotted my "Rolex" and asked if he could see it. So, I cautiously take it off, completely expecting him to call me out on my rep. He gives it a good examination and says that he really likes the sub and how he's thinking of getting one...blah, blah, blah.

It's amazing how many people, which really are few, know only the fact that a fake TICKS and a genuine SWEEPS.

I get a kick out of these "fooled-ya" stories. My most recent was while I was sitting in the doctor's lounge waiting for the next patient in clinic and my attending comes in, eyes my sub LV, and we get into a 10 min discussion about how he just saw it in the catalog and was planning to order one. I just made a remark about how I wish it was more exclusive and no one's the wiser. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyway, he immediately spotted my "Rolex" and asked if he could see it. So, I cautiously take it off, completely expecting him to call me out on my rep. He gives it a good examination and says that he really likes the sub and how he's thinking of getting one...blah, blah, blah.

It's amazing how many people, which really are few, know only the fact that a fake TICKS and a genuine SWEEPS.

Yeah I have shown a few people my el cheapo Chinese Daytona and they don't notice the major glaring flaws like the day date subdials or the constant running sweep second or anything like that... they always mention that it doesn't sweep as smoothly as a real Rolex... now I have seen a real Rolex and it's pretty darn close... next to each other no doubt about it, but for the average joe that has seen a rolex maybe 5 times in his life there is no way they are discerning the sweep... it's just ingrained to say "it's not as smooth as a real rolex".

:brow:

I don't have to worry about that, exactly. Whenever SWMBO and I walk past a watch shop I immediately duck inside, and she smiles and rolls her eyes... and continues to the nearest cosmetics counter. :o

You want to talk about expensive products? It has a seriously limiting effect on how long I'll spend in any watch shop!

Cosmetics gets expensive, have you priced tupperware lately. I accidentally shot the wife's tupperware (don't ask) and said nonchalantly; no problem just replace the pieces with new sh!t and give me the bill,,,,,,,,,, very expensive lesson. I quess it's because you can call tupperware the gen of plasticware. :blink:

At first I think she's going along with it and says, "Yes, that was my anniversary gift to him for being such a great husband. Maybe for our 10th anniversary, I'll get him a real one."

your wife knows too much and she talks too much <_< ....but on the good side she will give you a genuine one on on your 10th anniversary :thumbsupsmileyanim: so its not all bad

your wife knows too much and she talks too much <_< ....but on the good side she will give you a genuine one on on your 10th anniversary :thumbsupsmileyanim: so its not all bad

Agreed.

Although, since she'd be paying for it with what is technically, 'my' money, I guess it's easy for her to make such promises. :D

Agreed.

Although, since she'd be paying for it with what is technically, 'my' money, I guess it's easy for her to make such promises. :D

Not at all..she could have been spending it all on bags, furniture and dresses :)