When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Troubleshooting rolex 1520...

automatico

There is a good thread on TZ Watchmaking and Repair titled 'Low Amplitude on Rolex 1520' that shows some common trouble spots with this particular movement.

The part about the center sweep second pinion bushing etc also applies to cal 1570/75 etc.

The advice on spotting and correcting minor hairspring trouble is also very good and the pictures make it easy to follow.

Anyone who owns a 1520 or 1570/75 could benefit from reading this thread and looking carefully at the pictures in order to remember what to look for. Something else to look for is an out of round hole on the dial side where the mainspring barrel arbor runs in the mainplate. When this hole wears out of round, the MS barrel can bind or drag on the plate and cause power reserve problems etc.

I have converted a few 17 jewel 1520 autowind assemblies to fully jeweled and it is not hard at all but you really need a jewel setting tool set to get it done precisely. All you have to do is remove the jewels and measure the OD of the bushings and the OD of the arbor that runs in them (plus the thickness) and order the jewels from a supply house and be sure to order jewels with oil sinks. Keep in mind the replacement jewels for converting 17 jewel auto assemblies are not the same as the jewels used in 26 jewel models...the OD is bigger for the conversion jewels.

I made up a few Frankensteins with rolex 1520/1575/1575GMT in the past and had pretty good luck with the donor movements that I bought here and there but I have just about stopped using rolex movements because of the parts situation...hard to find and high prices. Future projects will probably have eta/AS/Bulova etc movements.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=1756140&mid=6051783&rid=0&rev=&reveal=

Interesting...but somewhat disturbing...

If you have a hairspring that looks like this, and you have to ask

Anything look out-of-sorts in this:

Then maybe, just maybe, you need to take a few more watchmaking lessons... :)

Kalf must be loosing his arrogance, normally he would be all over someone who was this incompetent.

post-452-0-60384200-1330627458.jpg

"Auto - Would you care to do a tutorial guide (on how to change that center sweep second pinion bushing?" pics)

I never had to replace one but I would guess you might be able to broach it out using a small broach like used on hands and then press a new one in with a small shouldered tool from a staking set. You might have to turn the tool down because the bushing is so small though. The rolex oiling chart shows to keep the ss pinion dry and do not oil it where it runs in the bushing.

Sometimes little jobs like this can turn out to be a real headache. Next time I have a 1520/70 apart, I will take a close look and see what's what.

"I can plainly see the problem with the hairspring, but what is the cause? Is it magnetized?"

The section of the hairspring between the attachment point and regulator pins has a kink in it where it should be a smooth arc. The kink is partially covered by the spoke in the balance wheel in the picture in this post.

This kink is causing the hairspring to be out of center and after the guy straightened the kink out, the hairspring centered over the balance wheel.

The hairspring was Ok when it was mounted on the balance wheel and not attached to anything else...it was just being forced out of center by the kink when mounted.

This is a common 'flat' hs and not a 'Breguet' overcoil hs so it is easier to deal with.

Look down at the bottom of the thread at the post titled 'Your hairspring appears to be out of center' to see exactly what was wrong.