When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seamaster 300?

Canuck88

I to have been looking for one for a few weeks. as was stated, the SM world is a weird one. I was told that no true "replicas " exist, i.e. watches built from the ground up as replica with all replica parts. However, ther is a thriving business in SM "frankenwatches" Obviously in the 1960,s Omega made thousands and thousands of these, both civilian and military versions, plus tons of movements. What the fakers are doing is putting genuine movements in replica cases and then passing the watches off as genuine. Chris who posts on Equation of time, recently wrotea very good article on spotting fakes. here is the URL:http://scubawatch.org/hallofshame.html This is a very nice site with good quality photos, mostly from recent Ebay auctions, detailing what makes each watch a fake.

this is a replica site, I own replicas, enjoy replicas and don't have a problem with replicas. I do have a very big problem with people who sell replicas as genuine. that is what is happening with the SM300's. Unscrupulous sellers are putting these "Frankens" on Ebay and duping people into believing that their watch is genuine. All sorts of stories. very few people are as candid as one guy who tellls you up front "the only thing genuine about the watch he is selling is the movement, everything else is fake" I bought this POS without knowing. That's and honest seller!! Others are les than honest however.

Case in point: Stromberg Time who I thought to be a very reputable Ebay seller has a very "dodgy" SM300 on Ebay right now. They must be suspicious of it's provenence, because they started the bidding at .99 cents with no reserve. Normally they have a very high reserve on their watches or a pretty high "Buy it now". I emailed them, and they told me "it's all genuine, but the dial may have been refinished, but it was done lone ago, before fakers were duplicating SM300 parts. Baloney!! The watch has both an incorrect dial , a fake caseback and unusual hands. I would recommend that you read the SM300 Hall of Shame , before you bid on a Seamaster.

just my 2 cents worth

Arthur