When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1st time franken builder - what's a good watch to start with?

ALDS22

Hey fellow watch enthusiasts,

So I'm interested in building my 1st franken watch, however, I wanted to get some feedback from those who have ventured down this road... I'm looking for some opinions as to what would be a good looking, accurate, and manageable watch to build - keeping in mind this is my 1st time doing this... Any constructive and relevant advice/opinion(s) are welcome! Thanks!

There is no limits to " build good looking, accurate, and manageable watch" Somebody will say - Panerai, some- Rolly, some , another brand, most important question is - are you gonna do it yourself, or use greatest in the world RWG modders?

I would say the brand or model of the watch is irrelevant, the key questions are what do you want out of a watch (must it be a divers watch, a chronograph, or even a custom build?) what are the availability of the parts and pieces, and what is your budget? I've just swapped the dial over in my DateJust, probably going from one model number to another, but it was a pretty simple procedure to do. Another project I have on the drawing board is for a completely custom piece, which will require having a bezel ring modified to accept a different insert, and modifying the dial to fit over a GMT movement, so a bit more challenging :) I would definitely suggest undertaking as much of the project yourself as possible, as nothing beats the feeling of looking down, and thinking "I made that..." Best of luck with your project, whatever route you decide to go down :good::drinks: