When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Bay Project Teaser - Part 2

jmb

OK, I have it roughed together and I've decided I'll probably have to machine some sort of spacer to thread into the case and then thread a shortened tube and crown into that. The spacer will be painted red so hopefully it will get the general look. I had to order an M3 x .35 thread die so it will be a little while before it is finished. This will be Rev. 1 of the project and some day when there are more good straight-on large pics of the gen, if it hasn't been repped, I'll re-do the dial artwork with the Tudor the correct size and font. But, for right now I'm fairly happy with the looks and I think I've captured the "essence" of the gen...

Here's a couple shots of the test fitting. The tube is not finished and the stem has been left long on purpose to leave some for final fitting...

The "blush" didn't dry out of the clear so I guess I'm stuck with it but it has a nice "vintage" feel. On the close-up I see that I didn't get my decal perfectly centered but it's not too apparent on ther wrist:

Test%20fit%204.jpg

The T21 presents a profile very close to the one on the gen so I'm pretty happy with that:

Test%20fit%205.jpg

I'm not sure what the clasp on the gen looks like but I figured this would be a nice touch:

Test%20fit%203.jpg

Well done! I'd suggest aluminum tubing to make a sleeve for the tube. You might even be able to find the right diameter that is red anodized in an automotive application.

Aren't those decals fun! I'm not as talented as you are, so all of mine look 'vintaged'!

Maybe a little red plastic spacer/sleeve might also work. I'll just have to give it some thought...

This particular dial is a hair over 28mm. 26mm would have been perfect for the hands as these are a bit on the short side for this dial...

OK, I guess I can consider Rev. 1 of the Black Bay "Homage" finished. I put a rep tube in the lathc and modified it and put a red plastic ring around where the large O-ring would have went and I seriously thinned the crown and turned off the coronet. Someday I will try to build a holding fixture for the crown and attempt to engrave it.

The red is not the correct shade but will have to do until something a bit darker comes along. Here's a wristie of the finished Rev 1.

post-24124-0-52748200-1332204988.jpg

I have no idea about the size of the gen, I was pretty much locked into 28.1 mm since this is the size of my no-date dials and also the size the case needed. I suppose it will be fairly easy to figure out stuff like this when more pics are available of it.

I have no idea about the size of the gen, I was pretty much locked into 28.1 mm since this is the size of my no-date dials and also the size the case needed. I suppose it will be fairly easy to figure out stuff like this when more pics are available of it.

More pics and a review too.

Fantastic build, J! The red and the gold of the dial goes so well together.

What build do you have planned next?

Edited by superlative