When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to get phong case?

Erict719

If it is a case you are after you might lower your expectations a little and maybe go with a Yuki case. 

Why?

Because a replica is a replica (always will be) and a replica with a $600 case is worth just as much as a replica with a $1200 case. Take my word for it, these things are simply not worth much out in the real world.

Do I have a Yuki case?

Yes, sold one and still have two.

Do I have a Phong case?

Yes.

What's the difference?

Besides $400 or $600, not much imho.

I am just trying to save you some $$.

• Like 2

If it is a case you are after you might lower your expectations a little and maybe go with a Yuki case. 

Why?

Because a replica is a replica (always will be) and a replica with a $600 case is worth just as much as a replica with a $1200 case. Take my word for it, these things are simply not worth much out in the real world.

Do I have a Yuki case?

Do I have a Phong case?

Yes.

What's the difference?

Why?

Do I have a Yuki case?

Do I have a Phong case?

Yes.

What's the difference?

I've read a lot about the Phong case being able to accept all Gen parts without any modification. Is the Yuki case comparable in that respect?

Genuine rolex movements, crystals etc will fit Yuki cases.

No telling what type of steel is in any replica case. If they lie about the name stamped on it, they will lie about the metal content.

My BS Detector just went off.   :pimp:

All BS aside, does anyone have proof that a Yuki case uses lower quality steel than a Phong case? If they do I would like to see it.

I think these claims are made by 'dealers' trying to make a sale and posters according to their preferences, not facts.

Fact...

I like Yuki cases because they cost less than Phong etc cases.

I like MBK cases because they cost less than Yuki cases (at least mine did).

I like DW cases because they were 'only' $159.

Common sense...

Famous 316 stainless steel used in most cases is relatively cheap so it is probably what is used in the majority of quality steel replica cases. Some may use 304 or something else but there is very little price difference and both are resistant to corrosion...304 is used in kitchen sinks, cooking pots etc and everyone knows how tough they are.

World famous rolex '904L' does not cost much either, it is not as much in demand as 316 so it sells higher.

There is maybe $5USD or less (including scrap left over) worth of steel in a watch case at the wholesale level, probably less. If you do not believe it, go to a wholesale nut/bolt/hardware warehouse and price stainless steel flat washers. I bought five 50mm od x 25mm id x 4mm nominal thickness 'mystery metal' ss flat washers a while back that weigh 36 grams each and all 5 totaled $5USD including tax at full retail. The ss is pretty good as I have made quite a few bezels etc with them and they do not corrode and polish up nicely.

A complete DW 5513 case with the case tube but without the bezels or crystal weighs 38 grams so figure out how much the stainless steel is worth...maybe $2 at most. Btw, DW claims his cases are 316 too.

Q...How can there be hundreds of stainless steel watches on eBay from China for $50 or less with free shipping?

A...Because they are so cheap to make. The ss in a watch is a very small amount of the total cost. The wear and tear/replacement cost on the tool bits probably cost more than the steel.

If Phong, Yuki. etc were selling copies of a Timex case, they would be $15 with free shipping. They just cost a lot because they are 'exact' copies of very expensive watches.

• Like 3

Only my guess,

Phong, Yuki, MQ, etc. have IMHO certainly the same cases as a "base" of work (where a "base" case means no engraving, bad lugs not at spec, no lug holes, hole for tube / pushers not at Rolex spec, etc.)

Why Phong is better, and why it's more expensive ?

I believe he takes a lot of time with specialized tools to :

- Make the watches compatible with Rolex parts when it's not the case

- Make the shape of the watch near to the gen

- Make the lug holes

- Make a "vintage" look

- Engraving

- Test the cases with gen movement, plexi, etc. (?)

This could explain why each one of the Phong cases is "unique". Some are very good, some are just average (or bad when you don't pay attention, let's face it)

We also know he have to send back back-cases to Vietnam in case you need a custom stamp. So the "big" work is probably done here.

Well, anyways, I don't agree when I read "take a Yuki case, better for your wallet, and it's the same case" : it's not the same case !

If you don't have the tools, or the skills, to make a case "perfect" to gen look, Phong is a good and quick way to have something good without the hassle to do it yourself

BUT, Phong will not do all the work, you have to :

- Ask him a lot of time for photos of the case

- Have a lot of photos of gen cases for comparison -- you don't want to overpay a crappy case witch do not look gen

- Ask him to mod / swap the case to your wish before he send it to you

- Send him your end links if you don't want to have a bad surprise ("Oh, crap, there is no way my gen 571 ends will fit this case")

- Send him your pushers if you make a Daytona (rep pushers thread size =/= gen pushers thread size)

- Send him your tube / plexi to make sure all will be 100% perfect

- And why not sending him your movement dial and hands for a complete assembly ? (he charge a little for this I think)

And you know what ? You'll not pay more if you send him your gen parts for fitting ! You'll not pay more also if you don't like the case and want something different in shape. You'll not pay more for a true vintage look (honestly, it sucks to have a vintage case that looks like "new from factory")

It's called great consumer service. Service have a cost :)

• 3 years later...

"I have both Yuki 5513 case and Phong 6538. IMHO they are both great.  Phong however is double the price of Yuki."

I have Yuki 5512 and 5513 cases and they are super nice too. 

This being an old thread, here are a few prices:

YUKI CASES 8-2018

6542 GMT CASE/DIAL/HANDS...$1000

5510 CASE/DIAL/HANDS...$1000

1675 GMT CASE ONLY...$650

1665 SD DRSD CASE BACK OR 1665 SD REG. CB...$750

5512/13...$650 IF AVAILABLE

TUDOR 9411...$650

I looked today and they have changed the offerings.  The 6542 and two 1665 models are still available, same prices.