When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ISC New York - USPS

graf-fiti

so as a noob excited to receive my first order, i'm growing frustrated

my package has been listed via tracking as follows:

Processed Through Sort Facility

March 27, 2012, 11:27 am

ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Registered Mail

what is this nonsense? why is it taking so long for the status to change?

Going to take a shot in the dark and say that ISC probably stands for International Sorting Center.

New York is one of the busiest receiving centers for goods from asia, it probably receives tens of thousands of packages daily; all of which need to be properly checked by customs and processed before being handed off to the USPS or another shipping service for the final delivery.

Just be patient. It typically takes around a week and a half for good from China to reach their destination in the US.

I work for USPS and Japanic is correct ISC (International Sorting Center) and they are very very busy with thousands of parcels arriving daily. Your package is Registered, bottom of the barrel when it comes to international packages. We have different levels of priority for INT packages with EMS being the first processed and registered being the last. Registered are not guaranteed to be delivered by a specific time/date so it's basically when we get to it. The container of REG parcels will be dated when they arrive, as long as we have it process by the "no later than" date we're good. EMS is treated like Domestic USPS Express mail, so we have to get to it as soon as customs release it.

Customs can screw up everything when it comes to fast delivery, sometimes they have packages for a day and other times they hold them for a week.

For your future packages always pay the extra for EMS, then you;ll get your watch much faster.

The last few things I've received through this entry point never even showed it went through Customs, just sat in "limbo" for about a week and it showed up in my mailbox...

The last few things I've received through this entry point never even showed it went through Customs, just sat in "limbo" for about a week and it showed up in my mailbox...

same thing when its registered mail from dealextreme.com

INT. Registered mail is scanned by USPS only when handed over from customs then maybe once more when it hits your hometown for delivery. We as carriers and sorters don't have to scan them at all. Only EMS gets that attention. One exception is when the mail volume is really slow then managers might make them scan a few of the INT. registers just to keep someone busy.

I'm told that Registered Mail stays behind lock and key, and hence also adds to the transit time as it's supposed to be more secure.

Though that is for domestic Registered (Int'l might not apply).

You are correct, Domestic Registered mail is THE safest way to ship ANYTHING in the US. It is under lock and key the ENTIRE way with every person who touches it having to sign and date the papers for it! Even the Semi truck drivers have to "sign" for it to transport it from PO to PO.

But for INT. it ends at the border. Incoming Registered is like domestic 1st class.

You are correct, Domestic Registered mail is THE safest way to ship ANYTHING in the US. It is under lock and key the ENTIRE way with every person who touches it having to sign and date the papers for it! Even the Semi truck drivers have to "sign" for it to transport it from PO to PO.

But for INT. it ends at the border. Incoming Registered is like domestic 1st class.

Good stuff and very educational. Thanks for providing the insight; it helps to understand the process a little better as we all wait impatiently while camped out by the mailbox ;)

Good stuff and very educational. Thanks for providing the insight; it helps to understand the process a little better as we all wait impatiently while camped out by the mailbox ;)

Your very welcome, before I started working for the USPS (7 years ago) I was always wondered how the process worked. Now that I see how the ENTIRE process works and the machinery and system they use to move the mail it is really remarkable how they get the quanities of mail/parcels sorted and moved across the country as fast as they do!

• 3 months later...

duke1973 that is stright up BS man. I have ordered 3 packages in the last 2 weeks for my business with EMS shipping international for 2 and 1 registered mail. The registered mail has allready arrived with my business cards but the 2 other packages with my posters/fliers have been stuck saying "inbound into customs" after going through the ISC sort facility for over a week now..How do you explain the EMS packages being stuck there and the registred mail allready arriving and they were all mailed out the same exact day...I have lost alot of money allready being without these things for my band management business and I will never use EMS shipping again when i can get the packages to arrive alot quicker with registered mail and its a HECK of ALOT cheaper..This slow mail service crap really fuels my fire....I had to get a loan just to be able to eat untill i can get word out about my bands. we allready had to pass on 2 concerts because we couldnt bring in enough people with just gaining attention in the music market just word-to-word. I will have to look towards the local radios and possibly TV.

duke1973 that is stright up BS man. I have ordered 3 packages in the last 2 weeks for my business with EMS shipping international for 2 and 1 registered mail. The registered mail has allready arrived with my business cards but the 2 other packages with my posters/fliers have been stuck saying "inbound into customs" after going through the ISC sort facility for over a week now..How do you explain the EMS packages being stuck there and the registred mail allready arriving and they were all mailed out the same exact day...I have lost alot of money allready being without these things for my band management business and I will never use EMS shipping again when i can get the packages to arrive alot quicker with registered mail and its a HECK of ALOT cheaper..This slow mail service crap really fuels my fire....I had to get a loan just to be able to eat untill i can get word out about my bands. we allready had to pass on 2 concerts because we couldnt bring in enough people with just gaining attention in the music market just word-to-word. I will have to look towards the local radios and possibly TV.

OK, bro. Use whatever service you want. But you got EXTREMLY lucky to get a INTERNATIONAL Registered mail piece faster than Express (EMS = Express Mail Service/International) Customs are what cause 100% of the delays in mail processing from outside the USA. They are totally unpredictable, sometimes your package will sit in customs mere hours and sometimes it will sit there for WEEKS depending on what the current security protocols are at the moment....

Ask ANY member here who has ordered several things from overseas and I bet their EMS parcels get to them much faster than registered 97% of the time.

Moral of the story, you just got caught in one of the hightened security crackdowns at customs! Your registered package is considered negligible to customs, they are usually small and unisured. Where EMS parcels cost much more to send they expect them to contain higher value items. Meaning they check (xray/sniffer/etc) a higher percentage of EMS packages. Especially if they originate in China, Peoples Republic of.

Without "crackdowns" EMS parcels are 5 days door to door, China to the East Coast of the USA. Airmail is two weeks.

Within the USA, EMS parcels are treated as "express mail" (next day delivery) and delivered by special USPS courier where possible. I have mostly had my EMS parcels delivered by courier, but some infrequent times, by my normal postman.

Yeah i guess i got lucky but its just a pain in the ass for having to wait 8 days now when i paid 35$ to get it delivered in 4-5 days. Its coming from poland also and not china, i dont order from china 1/2 the [censored] from there is probably seized anyway, if it was coming from China i would be lucky to receive the package period. But i guess ill just continue to wait..Ive never had this problem before anytime ive ordered with EMS..And BTW do packages coming in from canada using Xpress go through customs? I got that package in 2 days flat..

Yeah well thank you for the info but its Still BS that it takes that long with EMS. When people pay that much it should be to their doorstep in 4 days or less, 2 of those days going through customs. Xpress,UPS and FEDEX are a hell of alot better USPS is failing and overseas mail service has made a fool of USPS and customs. IF usps did their own customs check like UPS or FEDEX it would be alot faster but for some dumb reason they leave it up to this country. We allready have enough idiots running this country as it is, why make it worse..