When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

startime case 16610 w/ lugholes

stilty

I bought one. Let's see what it looks like in real life and how it fits. I wonder if that assembly would fit the 16610 case

Who does engraving again?

nope - will not fit - but maybe can cut the costs for some 1675 projects -

the have all the parts for the modern Sub bezel assembly - just the normal steel bezel ring is missing - should be no prob find one on ebay....

cheers,

Frank

rehaut.jpg

crown position and guards

crownc.jpg

Here is a lug hole shot

lughole.jpg

Here is a side shot

sideprofile.jpg

sterile between the lugs

sterilecase.jpg

some shots of the back

backofcase.jpg

backqr.jpgopencaseo.jpg

Hi there I really like the sub you built. It looks great. How much have you spent on the project? if you don't mind me asking. I am interested in doing one. Btw I own a datejust that you built and used to own. Wow I must say, your work is just amazing sir. Please let me know when you get a chance. I tried to pm you, but could not.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

No to hijack the tread, the vintage bezel assembly is not very good. Needs a lot of polishing and fiddling. Also, their insert DOES NOT fit their own T19 crystal, or a gen, or Clark's. Now I wonder about they 16610 case I never received from them.

E

• 5 weeks later...

No to hijack the tread, the vintage bezel assembly is not very good. Needs a lot of polishing and fiddling. Also, their insert DOES NOT fit their own T19 crystal, or a gen, or Clark's. Now I wonder about they 16610 case I never received from them.

E

just like WSO

How does this case compare to the TC case? Also does the 3135 version of the case come with or without lug holes? Are these cases closer to a gen 16610 case?

no.

stick with the TC

I read a bit about others who have purchased the star time replacement 16610 case.

I bought one a while ago. Fairly inexpensive. $160 if I remember correctly. You get a discount if you order online as opposed to calling in an order.

I threw on a gen bezel assembly and clarks crystal. also used a gen dial, gen date disc powered by an ETA 2892-A2. I used my ETA 2982-A2 to 3135 movement holder. Everything fits perfectly. Case is sterile, so no markings, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

Here are some quick n dirty pics that I took with my phone. I only cropped and resized them.

Here is a face shot showing the rehaut.

rehaut.jpg

crown position and guards

Here is a lug hole shot

lughole.jpg

Here is a side shot

sideprofile.jpg

sterile between the lugs

I fit a 78360 w/ 580 hoods, and they fit perfectly. I don't have a spare 93150, otherwise I would have installed one and took some pics. But what I really like, is how perfect the lug holes are. Bracelet snapped in no problem. Unlike other cases like Phong, Yuki, etc, I have always found fitting a bracelet a chore. This case is perfect in that regard.

Definitely not a keeper. Lugs look a bit chunky to me. Eventually, I'll probably just use this for a sterile watch. I have a cool MKII dial, that I bought, when he was still selling parts. I'll probably just install it on a 2824-2 with black date disc, install an aftermarket bezel, or maybe find a nice fixed bezel. Remove the cyclops, or maybe install an acrylic crystal. I have a sterile crown as well that I will use.

I wanted to ask you Stilty about the choice for the 2892 movement. How did you use the Gen date wheel on there? how was the stem height/angle say compared to a 2824?

Thanks for sharing.

E

I wanted to ask you Stilty about the choice for the 2892 movement. How did you use the Gen date wheel on there? how was the stem height/angle say compared to a 2824?

Thanks for sharing.

E

2892-A2 is my "go-to" movement for any 3135 case. Especially since I prefer to use genuine date discs as overlays. I have my own movement holders that take care of stem alignment, securing the movement in the case, as well as offering a seat to glue the dial to.

As for stem position in the 2892-A2, center stem to dial seat on the 2892-A2 is 1.50mm. On the Rolex 3135, the stem position from center stem to dial seat is 1.75. So basically you have 0.25mm of extra space between the 2892-A2 and back of dial when fit in a 3135 case. The genuine date disc is 0.20mm thick, so you can easily glue one to the ETA date disc and have no problems with date operation. My movement holder is made to provide the gap between the 2892-A2 and back of dial.

The ETA 2824-2 stem position is 1.80mm from center stem to dial seat, so when fitting in a Rolex 3135 case, the stem will be 0.05mm out of perfect alignment with the case tube. This makes it tricky to fit an overlay as well. I have used 2824-2 in 3135 cases, I usually sand the back of the dial (if feet are clipped) in order to perfectly align the stem.

2892-A2 is my "go-to" movement for any 3135 case. Especially since I prefer to use genuine date discs as overlays. I have my own movement holders that take care of stem alignment, securing the movement in the case, as well as offering a seat to glue the dial to.

As for stem position in the 2892-A2, center stem to dial seat on the 2892-A2 is 1.50mm. On the Rolex 3135, the stem position from center stem to dial seat is 1.75. So basically you have 0.25mm of extra space between the 2892-A2 and back of dial when fit in a 3135 case. The genuine date disc is 0.20mm thick, so you can easily glue one to the ETA date disc and have no problems with date operation. My movement holder is made to provide the gap between the 2892-A2 and back of dial.

The ETA 2824-2 stem position is 1.80mm from center stem to dial seat, so when fitting in a Rolex 3135 case, the stem will be 0.05mm out of perfect alignment with the case tube. This makes it tricky to fit an overlay as well. I have used 2824-2 in 3135 cases, I usually sand the back of the dial (if feet are clipped) in order to perfectly align the stem.

Quick and great reply. I guess I'm ok with the 3035 case and a 2836-2 movement then. Checking out the specs for the 3035 and the 2836-2 are similar

No real trick. Just the same as installing any other overlay. it is just that with the extra space between the movement and dial, you can use a genuine disc as an overlay.

Check out this post I wrote a few years ago. (unfortunately, I never did get around to Pt II.

Thanks man. SOOOO simple. I may have a few 2836 DWs around. Just need to get a gen DW and try it out. Will have to wait.

E

That DW was a bugger to find.

The gen 3035 progressed opposite of the eta mvts.

You'll need a gen 3055 or 3135 to use with an eta :)

But it seems some of the reps offered with open 6's and 9's are comming centered.

Perhaps ask sneed12 about these.

Edited by correctime

A gen eta 2836-2 fits perfect in that case. With a raffles ring. I'm very upset because after reshaping the lugs and fitting the TC v3 perfectly. The Clark's bezel pops off the insert. Same thing with a gen. 90% done! But couldn't take it on the trip. :(

A gen eta 2836-2 fits perfect in that case. With a raffles ring. I'm very upset because after reshaping the lugs and fitting the TC v3 perfectly. The Clark's bezel pops off the insert. Same thing with a gen. 90% done! But couldn't take it on the trip. :(

The Clark bezel I had popped off the insert on me too....the retainig ring needed shortened a good bit so I didn't keep it.

You're saying a gen bezel assembly pops the insert too once the retaiing ring is pressed ??

If that's the case you shaved the surface under the retaining ring where the lugs blend to the case ???

No real trick. Just the same as installing any other overlay. it is just that with the extra space between the movement and dial, you can use a genuine disc as an overlay.

Check out this post I wrote a few years ago. (unfortunately, I never did get around to Pt II.

http://www.rwg.cc/to...-i/#entry568262

Could you pm me if you have any movement holders to sell.

Thanks,