When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen's new 063

StormTooper4

Not a bad effort from David, I will preface by saying that will possibly be getting either a complete watch or the dial/hands/caseback for a budget 63 build based on Noob PAM29 + Noob 111 bezel.

Some quick observations, mainly concerning the dial because that's what everyone is probably interested in:

-All arabic cardinal markers are slightly off, the tails of 6 & 9 start curving too soon, the bottom kink of 2 is too rounded.

-Baton chapter markers are too wide.

-The print "LUMINOR/GMT" above the center pinion is too low beneath the bottom 11-1 o'clock batons level

-The letters GM in GMT are of a different font style.

-The letters RAI in PANERAI are a hair taller then the rest (signature DSN since 2009 PR dials).

-"Automatic" print kerning is off, it's too compressed.

-The 24hr font track font is also off, specifically the zeroes, the twos, the threes and the fours.

-There's still a hash missing @ 6 o'clock, how long has this been the case?

-The seconds hand bubble position is too high up the hand; the bottom of the bubble must be touching the tops of the 24hr track hashes.

-The GMT and Minutes hands have a thinner skeleton in their triangle and pentagon shaped pointers so this tells me they were copied from a Noob 29M.

I'm not a fan of the case, it's his Mid-2011 face lift model, and I wrote on this matter separately in other threads so I won't repeat myself. Also, while I love David's NB crown, it's not a very good choice for this model. The crown is too wide for early automatics and does not have enough bevel on the knurling; the good news is, it but can be corrected with some creative reprofiling, eg slight milling of the rim and re-bevelling. The caseback fonts & fishy are a tad off as well, the CG is not a homerun either but it can also be worked on.