When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5514 numbers

vlydog

The caseback number is a Comex specific number, which is separate/unrelated to the Rolex serial number. I have never seen any verifiable documentation describing Comex's numbering system (& with the ongoing debates over what Comex actually received from Rolex, this should all be taken with a grain of salt), but my guess is that the initial (test) pre-Comex Subs (circa 1970-ish) would probably have had 2-digit caseback numbers, while all later deliveries would have 3 digits.

From an antiquorium sales thread:

This particular batch of watches could be considered the true pre-production prototypes of the 5514, as they were designed to be tested in real-life conditions and bore the following characteristics: they did not feature the Comex logo on the dial (this was to come on the later production model 5514’s) and only had the Comex engraving on the case back with no engraved numbers

http://images.antiquorum.com/223/full/373.jpg

From another auction:

The initial batch of ref. 5514 with HEV can be found with small & medium case back numbers (and generally non COMEX logo dials) and were delivered alongside the final batch of the ref. 5513 COMEX watches in 1972. Most deliveries from 1974 to 1977 of the COMEX ‘Submariner’ with HEV only had the unique model ref. 5514 and not the ref. 5513. The model ref. 5514 was never sold to the public. The ref. 5514 from these batches featured two different case back styles with four variations of small, medium and large issue numbers. The original dials were still the matt variety, but the majority now featured the COMEX logo. In total the ref. 5514 was actually produced in higher numbers (approximately 600 to 700) than many of the other COMEX models, however, a far lower number have survived in their original configuration.

• 3 months later...

They looks alot like Ubi's & my pre-Comexes (mine below)

pre551420031.jpg

Antiquorum

post-3175-0-03268400-1333758364.jpg

Freddy, im working on a getting a 5514 just right, i was wondering if you could tell me the correct size in mm of the three digit case back engraving for these comex 5514s

i believe they came in three different sizes. if you happened to know all 3 sizes in mm, that would be very helpful.

thanks

Freddy, im working on a getting a 5514 just right, i was wondering if you could tell me the correct size in mm of the three digit case back engraving for these comex 5514s

i believe they came in three different sizes. if you happened to know all 3 sizes in mm, that would be very helpful.

thanks

:clap2:

No. Neither Rolex nor Comex have ever released specs on Comex lettering. You might try posting your question to a gen Rolex forum, but there are only a few people who own enough gen Comexes to know, but my guess is they will not tell you anyway. I think that if you have the correct fonts & coronet style & everything is placed where it should be on the caseback, being in the ballpark will be close enough.

No. Neither Rolex nor Comex have ever released specs on Comex lettering. You might try posting your question to a gen Rolex forum, but there are only a few people who own enough gen Comexes to know, but my guess is they will not tell you anyway. I think that if you have the correct fonts & coronet style & everything is placed where it should be on the caseback, being in the ballpark will be close enough.

oh, i was under the impression that 333 was yours :D

ubi appears to have a few of these reps i ll see if he might know.

thanks

oh, i was under the impression that 333 was yours :D

Yes, but it is not gen (sourced from Phong) & I sent it back because the coronet & placement were all wrong. (Strangely, Phong replaced the original sample caseback on his website (which was quite accurate & what I was expecting to receive with my case :g: ) with my old 333 caseback.) I am awaiting another swap with a caseback similar to the replacement Phong sent Ubi, which is considerably more accurate. But, as I said, only someone with access to alot of gen Comexes would know the correct 3 (serial number) font sizes.

Here is a gen for reference

51340077.jpg

& here is the replacement Ubi received from Phong (which is what I am hoping to receive also - but with my 333 number)

RandyscasebackfromPhong.jpg