When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black SMP Franken-Project - Nothing but trouble

Hok

Hello,

this is my first Franken-Project, and I already more than regret it. Part of it is my own spectacular stupidity (bought parts for a mid-size SMP), part is just plain bad luck.

I got a black SMP from watch-polo, which due to a legitimate mix-up already gave me some trouble. I let a trusted modder install a gen eta 2824, which now has reserve probs and needs to go to the doctor. This is cousins-uk fault, the movement already missed a date-wheel from the beginning.

got a very nice AR tough and some water-proofing. but, the worst thing, the gen dial I bought doesn't fit the case. case inner-size is 31mm diameter, gen dial 32,6mm, rep dial seems to be 31mm too.

so I still got the rep dial in it, but gen hands (different shade of green than the dial, of course) and a failing movement. and an innocent asian ETA in my desk.

my question: Has anyone heard of or seen cases that wouldn't take a gen dial? I always thought the parts were interchangeable. I'd already be more than happy if I could fit the gen dial.

cheers and thanks for the support,

Hok

Sorry to hear of your problems. Yes, watch modding can be frustrating, it is a steep learning curve.. For me it has been on and off the last years..

Regarding rep watches taking gen dials, unfortunately it is not common that a gen dial can fit straight in. :(

could it be that I bought the wrong gen dial? I did a search on the net and couldn't find the size for it. Maybe one of the members could measure on of theirs?

thanks chrgod for your commiseration . :) when this watch is as I want it (I hope I'll get there) I'll be happy, regardless of the money sunk.

EDIT: I think I'm gonna cry. Gen SMP dial size seems to be 30.5mm according to some ebay sales.

I ordered cousins Item x22935 / 064pp3111033 which has 32,5mm. should fit case 168.1640.

Am I being stupid again? Could someone tell me what size the gen dial is?

Edited by Hok

I had no issues ever modding my SMP cases with gen dials. Had a few frankens - 2254, 2255, 2531 to name a few. im on the process now of modding a new SMP with a rep case.

Usually, gen SMP Dials are about 30.5mm.

thanks a lot triplehd. I must have ordered a wrong dial from cousins. at least I know how to fix the project.

it seems like the cousins part finder gave me the wrong part for my case. gonna contact them...

Edited by Hok

Yeah, post a pic first

Careful with Cousins, they often ship wrong parts

Here a quick and dirty pic:

http://imageshack.us.../dsc04156k.jpg/

From left to right

gen dial, cousins Item x22935 / omega 064pp3111033 32,6mm

rep dial 1 (replaced after mix-up) with asian eta underneath. ca 31mm

rep case, AR, waterproof, rep dial 2 (ca 31mm, too green, nice lume) and gen hands.

I used cousins part finder to order the dial, which gave me 3 options for the case omega 168.1640:

064pp3111033 (the one I got)

064pp33011033 (the one that should fit)

064pp33011034 (blue dial, should fit)

However I fear they won't reimburse me. I think I got the one I ordered, it has p3111 stamped on the back, and cousins will not care if their part finder made an error.

Edited by Hok

The gen dial looks correct for the 41mm SMP

I have also a gen dial but I don't remember exactly the diameter, but I'm 100% sure it was a straight fit in two reps of mine.

Maybe someone with a gen SMP dial can confirm the outer diameter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My little Franken project has been sitting in the drawer now for 4 years.

Is there anyone who could give me the correct part number and/or cousins-uk item number for a replacement dial for the 41mm SMP 2254? I frankly don't trust myself anymore :)

edit: arghl it seems omega restricted these parts. I think I am gonna cry.

Edited by Hok

• 2 months later...