When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 42mm FrPO - finally finished!

om3ga_guy

Hey guys,

Finally finished my FrPO. I'm going to keep this very brief and cut to the mods.........

Build consists of:

- Gen dial

- Gen hands

- Gen pearl

- Gen crystal

- Gen crown/tube

- Gen clasp (hand selected links)

- Gen springbars

- UPO HE valve assembly

- ETA datewheel

- ST2130 Seagull movement (brand new)

Note:

- Victor and I put this whole watch together. Victor is a trusted modder on RWI and does amazing work. I recommend him to everyone, seriously!

- We made custom sleeves for the gen crown/tube and HE valve. This allowed us to go to a pressure/friction fit assembly as oppose to epoxy... No epoxy or glue was used on this build

- Dial feet were a little short. Instead on epoxying the dial or installing it loose, we sanded the feet down to get the tips to flare out a bit. This solved the issue

- I did the pearl mod with a Rona drill bit and some GS Hypo cement. Came out wicked

- We pressure tested the watch to 300m

Generic photos:

photo1bd.jpg

photo2qf.jpg

photo3fq.jpg

photo4ow.jpg

photo5bl.jpg

27645201.jpg

60716536.jpg

30999010.jpg

28987812.jpg

79737330.jpg

Lume shot:

89497081.jpg

18489868.jpg

55178726.jpg

Photos of the crown and tube/ HE valve install:

20120407110557723.jpg

20120407110643012.jpg

20120407112542605.jpg

20120407112612801.jpg

20120407112730592.jpg

20120407112748948.jpg

20120407113221273y.jpg

20120407113352028.jpg

20120407113408838.jpg

20120407113429875.jpg

20120407132059084.jpg

20120407132126500.jpg

20120407132219725.jpg

Very nice! It looks awesome! If I had seen that before doing my franken, I would have tried doing it without epoxy as well though - although I think mine sits firmly. The "hole" left when removing the rep tube had threads, so I got some extra grip there I guess. Still - it would have been much nicer to fit it like you did.

I see you decided to go the Seagull route as well. Happy so far?

I still have the rep crystal on mine. Definitely more of a blue reflection. Did you feel it made much of a difference apart from the color?

Very nice! It looks awesome! If I had seen that before doing my franken, I would have tried doing it without epoxy as well though - although I think mine sits firmly. The "hole" left when removing the rep tube had threads, so I got some extra grip there I guess. Still - it would have been much nicer to fit it like you did.

I see you decided to go the Seagull route as well. Happy so far?

I still have the rep crystal on mine. Definitely more of a blue reflection. Did you feel it made much of a difference apart from the color?

Thanks for the complements all!

The Seagull works amazing. I will probably use theses movements moving forward. The build from what I could see was identical to ETA and it holds great time at half the price.

The gen crystal is more clear. The AR IMO is questionable. I find it really depends on the angle you hold the watch.

My watchmaker made the sleeve. Victor is a trusted modder on RWI.

His contact info is:

Victor Chow

madebyvictor@gmail.com

May i ask where you got that sleeve assembly as i am going to do this mod and that is a GREAT idea also how did you get it to stay in there ?

The gen crystal is more clear. The AR IMO is questionable. I find it really depends on the angle you hold the watch.

I agree, I think. My Franken po has the rep xtal over the gen dial and I can't help thinking it leaves the hour markers looking a little yellowy, maybe I'm seeing things as it doesn't show on photos too well and I'm comparing it from memory of my old Franken 4th gen with gen dial and crystal.

0b0d919c.jpg

I feel I definitely have to get hold of a gen crystal and bezel.

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking watch indeed. I'm curious about what holds the sleeve in as well though. I got my franken PO Friday, Gotta post some photos of it, I think I want to sell it though so I can work on SMPs only. LOL

That looks AWESOME !!! Congrats Brother.

+1 on being curious as to what holds the sleeve to the case?? Press fit ?? Threaded ??

I went the epoxy route...and mine didn't hold well the first time. Put extra in from the inside and drilled through it for a stem opening this time...so far so good...I think.

The Zigmeister does something like this too but as I understood him the case gets re-threaded and his screws into fresh threads into the case...then the tube screws into that.

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys I am extremely happy to say that I can officially close the books on this project. I installed the last remaining pieces yesterday night and THIS is what I would consider an "Ultimate PO" :D

I've always been a fan of the orange bezel, but never the orange numerals on the dial. Hence why I never bought a pumpkin. I was fortunate to find a used orange bezel on eBay last week so I went and bought it, put it on my black/white dial PO and created this awesome piece. I've seen the guys on WUS do this before. Unfortunately the bezel was scratched @ 5 o'clock (less noticeable in person, the camera angles + lighting make it look worst than it is), but a gen bezel for $95.00CDN... I can't complain.

Hope you guys like it...

Build consists of:

- Gen dial

- Gen hands

- Gen bezel

- Gen crystal

- Gen crown/tube

- Gen bracelet (latest ceramic PO model)

- Gen springbars

- UPO HE valve assembly

- ETA datewheel

- ST2130 Seagull movement (brand new)

PHOTOS

img5514j.jpg

img5516b.jpg

img5517pg.jpg

img5519w.jpg

img5520d.jpg

img5521p.jpg

img5522p.jpg

img5523eo.jpg

img5524is.jpg

img5527x.jpg

img5529g.jpg

img5530hb.jpg

img5531g.jpg

img5532w.jpg

img5533jg.jpg

WRIST SHOTS

img5510i.jpg

img5511gh.jpg

img5512i.jpg

GROUP SHOT WITH FRANKEN SMP

img5534n.jpg

Things to note:

- Gen bezel was installed on the case without mods. I used the original hardware that came on the case and the bezel went straight on.

- The ceramic PO bracelet snapped onto the case perfectly with no mods, however it appears the case on the new cermaic PO's are thicker in height - therefore my end links sit high above the lugs - see photos. It doesn't bother me, its hard to point out on the wrist. At some point if I feel like dishing out some more cash I will swap the current 858 end links with the older model made for this case.

- The whole build has well over $2k in parts + sweat, when I did the math on what I spent I came out just under $1,400.00CDN...

Edited by om3ga_guy

Awesome work! Love the SMP also!

You really like Omegas don't you?

Thanks guys!

I have a strong interest in Omega (and always have as a kid) ...but I like Rolex too :)

BK/TW case (superlume dial) c/w gen bezel, gen crystal and gen crown. I've got a WM9 bracelet (fitted with a Sean clasp) as well...theres love for everyone!

43d374b2-09fa-5f7a.jpg

43d374b2-0a06-858e.jpg

Edited by om3ga_guy