When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make the rotor silent?

slied013

A little drip of silicon oil on the bearing :)

Absolutely the worst thing you can you can do to your movement. That little drip of oil can and will get everywhere you do not want it to be. May not happen right away but the long term effects are detrimental.

Unfortunately rotors are a bit noisy, nature of the beast I am afraid. You can make the sound go away but in general this is not a good thing.

Absolutely the worst thing you can you can do to your movement. That little drip of oil can and will get everywhere you do not want it to be. May not happen right away but the long term effects are detrimental.

Unfortunately rotors are a bit noisy, nature of the beast I am afraid. You can make the sound go away but in general this is not a good thing.

Ohh i forget to say that take the rotor off first, i have never had any problem with that.

Rex, the watchmaker on RG says he's now charging extra to service any movement that has had silicone put on the rotor. My suggestion is if it makes noise while you're shaking it, then stop shaking it. Why are you shaking it in the first place?

According to Rex, there is only one specific type of oil recommended by ETA for the rotor. Silicone has a tendency to migrate and when cleaning the watch parts the silicone ruins the cleaning fluid which then has to be replaced. He says please leave the rotor alone or leave it to the experts.

Besides, I've never heard an ETA rotor that was loud enough to be heard while normal wearing.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ROCKAREP

you can modify the rotor to stop the rattle noise.

You can also give the watch the swiss ZIPPPPPING sound when the rotor turns in the winding direction.

You need a watchmaker but this is not too costly to do these things.

Some to not care of these things but some do. A rep to me is a project and I like making them better. The rotor is a perfect place to start. Quite her down so it dont wake the baby. KLUNK KLUNK KLUNK. ........nice watches also sound nice.

• 5 years later...

Hi, I'm new to RWC.. I wish to make my rotor quieter maybe grease it but I do not know any watchmaker here? Any recommendations, guys? 

Recently bought the new Rolex Seadweller 2017 43mm rep (dunno from which factory, though) and when I wear the watch the rotor is noisy and seemed spinning.. It's a 21j and the Chinese movement DG2813.. Any comments is much welcome and appreciated! :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. A tiny island in Asia, doesn’t sound near any of the Watch makers I know. I have heard of people putting a tiny bit of grease on the rotor bearing. I’ve heard others say it has no great effect. Hopefully others will have more direct experience. I think with care, you could probably do it yourself.

@Legend any suggestions on a Singaporean watchmaker brother?

Hello and welcome, ok so the only advise is perhaps purchase a cheap set of casebAck removers off ebay and once you've removed the caseback then apply a SMALL amount of gasket grease(the stuff you use on the rubber waterproof gaskets) to the small ball bearings on the rotor. Try to remove any access grease with a bit of cloth. Bottom line I'm afraid is that you will never get rid of the clicking sound on this PARTICULAR  movement, my suggestion is try and find the model of your dreams with a better movement, if your a Rolex fan then the SH3135 is as quiet as you will get because the rotor is on a jewel rather than bearings as per gen.

Hope that helps 

Cheers DH

• Like 1

@Sogeha Thanks for your warm reply! Yes indeed the little red dot..  I'll try it with some grease as per your advice. :)

@denimhead Thanks for your kind advice. That sounds applicable! I'm gonna try that too. ya that is a cheap movement so have to bear with that bearing sound.. Lol ? Haven't really tried opening the case of all the reps I own except adjusting the S/S bracelets.. Might be fun.. 

Some ppl told me that the A2836 performs better than the 3135.. All rights will get a better movement watch next time and I'll experience the differences. 

Thanks so much again DH! ?