When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken Rolex Builders/modders help needed

correctime

I recently picked up some gen dials and am looking to drop one into a Noob case Exp.II

The thing is the dial opening is 27.0mm and the dial is 27.3mm

It'll set in the case without falling through but .3mm isn't much of a seating surface for the dial.

I've seen several gen dials put into the discontinued Noob Exp.II cases.

The dial needs to be securely fastened to the mvt. and the mvt will need to be perfectly centered.

Perhaps some of you that have already tackled this feat could offerer some pointers, info or advice on the best way to go about doing it.

I really appreciate. Thanks guys.

Pehaps I misunderstood. Are saying the dial opening is to large, and you have diffuculty centering the dial. If so, the only thing I have been able to do is to get an oversized movement support ring and cut it down, or with a little luck find exactly the right size. Sorry to be confused, at first I thought the dial was to big for the case.

An oversized mvt support ring and cut it down?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying on that one....??

The dial opening is smaller than the gen dial diameter but only by .3mm (which isn't much at all.)

It seems the obstacle will need to be overcome installing a gen dial in the BK TW 16610 case to.

The gen Submariner dial is 27.3mm and my measurement shows the dial opening in the TW case to be 26.9mm

I'm hoping the adaptor will perfectly center the dial but securing the gen dial to the 2836-2 perfectly centered after clipping the dial feet may be beyond my level of skill.

Any suggestions on this ??

Have you read the tutorial on Yuki's site?

http://www.yukiwatch...0084/160035.htm

I have now...and thanks for sharing that.

And thanks Donerix.

I guess the rep dial spacer will work or can perhaps be "faired" to fit the smaller gen dial and repositioned feet...?

And perhaps it too can be glued to the dial and new dial feet for better support...?

I've done alot of looking,reading,asking around.

I've come up with the same thing Donerix said...it should work.

Some have mentioned repositioning dial feet to the ETA position.

Some have mentioned adhesive dial pads to secure the dial to the mvt. and 2 sided tape to fasten the dial spacer to the dial.

I imagine glueing new dial feet and glueing the spacer to the dial to be quite difficult.

Has anyone ever used 2 sided sticky dial pads ?

Will they secure the dial well enough, allowing the mvt./case clamps and stem to do the rest ??

I've never used the ones specifically sold as 'dial dots' but have used regular double sided tape on many occasions to fix a dial to the movement, and never had an issue with the dial slipping or moving over time :good::drinks:

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your sharing of knowledge.

Where would you consider to be the best place for the pads and/or 2 sided tape ??

And typically how thick are these dial pads ??

They obviously cannot interfere with the DW rotation.

Thanks again for all the expert advice and insight.

Edited by correctime

With the dial dots I like to find three locations on the movement that won't interfere with anything. You can double them up if necessary for extra clearance.

Thanks again for the informative reply Brother.

Double them up to be certain of enough clearance..... that great to know :)

On the ones you've done did you simply rely on the dial dots or did you in some way adhere the dial ring to the dial and mvt. too ??

Dots on the dial, movement ring and screws/tabs

So you use the dots to secure the dial and as a spacer...and do away with the rep dial ring that was used on the rep dial ??

(I'm referring to the dial ring as the ring with the 2 grooves designed to catch around the dial feet and sort of hug the outer diameter of the mvt.)

Thanks again for all the useful information.

Same reply as above really, I just put the tape on the front of the movement where it won't foul any moving parts, sometimes using two or three layers of tape to get the right spacing, and ignore the ring all together :) I would recommend tape over the dial dots, as it's possible to cut the tape into squares larger than the dots, so getting more adhesion between movement and dial :)

Same reply as above really, I just put the tape on the front of the movement where it won't foul any moving parts, sometimes using two or three layers of tape to get the right spacing, and ignore the ring all together :) I would recommend tape over the dial dots, as it's possible to cut the tape into squares larger than the dots, so getting more adhesion between movement and dial :)

Thanks for all the great input with info guys.

I really appreciate it :)

I realize using the tape or dots most likely sounds easier than it really is..especially when it comes to perfectly centering the dial without the guiding help of the feet

and in centering the DW over the date perfectly.

I've not yet decided exactly which way I'll go with it or whetherf I'll even do it myself....I still may send it off to a pro modder.

But hearing it has been done with much sucess is certainly reassuring.

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge. :)