When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I love the Asian 7750.. and I think it does not get enough credits!

Rolexman

But servicing is probably just as expensive as a new Asia 7750 right? Can also go for gen mov. But that's €550. Service in eu is €200 so maybe better to have a gen iwc movement then right?

A new Asian 7750 may be new but not persé clean and properly oiled (the surplus).

Even if you can afford it you will have a hard time finding a gen IWC movement. Personally I find it a waste of money as it is a closed case back watch. And even with a genuine movement it will fool nobody! Either you go all the way like some 3717 Frankens with all gen parts or just don't bother. Like putting a Ferrari engine in a Toyota....

It not like putting a Ferrari motor in a Toyota.

It's like putting an engine in a non specific car that will most certainly last longer then it's original engine.

Sourcing The movement is no problem. But like you say.. Is it worth it..

Or is servicing an Asian movement worth it considering the price of servicing is as expensive as an entire new movement.

And I do not do it to fool anybody in thinking it is gen.. Just for my own comforting knowing that there is some quality at work and not a ticking bomb.

It's like putting an engine in a non specific car that will most certainly last longer then it's original engine.

Not necessarily the case.... It's all about proper care. If you buy a second hand IWC movement it might as well be dirty and dry. Thereby an ETA 7750 is the same movement with different decoration so that would give you the same quality and reliability.... If clean and oiled off course.

Sourcing The movement is no problem.

If you can source new genuine IWC movements you are the king around here. There is a lot of demand. According to Concepta (IWC guru) parts are currently almost impossible to get.

Or is servicing an Asian movement worth it considering the price of servicing is as expensive as an entire new movement.

Like I said. Depends if your movement is new, meaning clean and oiled. Without buying it sealed in a vacuum bag from the factory it is for most people impossible to know for sure....

Not necessarily the case.... It's all about proper care. If you buy a second hand IWC movement it might as well be dirty and dry. Thereby an ETA 7750 is the same movement with different decoration so that would give you the same quality and reliability.... If clean and oiled off course.

I wasn't talking about a eta 7750 but a Asia 7750.

If you can source new genuine IWC movements you are the king around here. There is a lot of demand. According to Concepta (IWC guru) parts are currently almost impossible to get.

I get can the movement so no problem there

Like I said. Depends if your movement is new, meaning clean and oiled. Without buying it sealed in a vacuum bag from the factory it is for most people impossible to know for sure....

I was comparing a new Asia 7750 mov with a new iwc mov. Chances then are that the new IWC mov is better then the Asia (off course )

Again I wasn't comparing eta 7750 with IWC but Asia 7750 with IWC mov.

Already did that. It's 200 So that's the same as a new Asia 7750 maybe even more expensive
It does not matter if your Asian movement is new because 99% come dry, over oiled and/ or dirty straight from the factory. That makes them as unreliable as a used movement. Look here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/134432-qa-why-do-our-a7750s-need-a-service/?hl=+need%20+service In my opinion your options are: -If you service your A7750 for 200 you will have a cleaned, oiled and very reliable movement. -If you buy a new A7750 movement you still don't know if you have a reliable movement -If you buy a second hand ETA 7750 you still don't know if you have a reliable movement -If you buy a second hand IWC you still don't know if you have a reliable movement -If you buy a new, factory sealed ETA 7750 you will need to lay down 200~300 -If you buy a new, factory sealed IWC you will need to lay down 500+ So if you ask me servicing is not a bad option. This is also more or less the point of my initial post ;)

Already did that. It's 200

So that's the same as a new Asia 7750 maybe even more expensive

Don't forget if you buy a new movement, someone has to fit it - more money for that. Maybe ask Domi has some working A7750s that he can fit to your watch?

Just read Rolexman's post above, and have to concur - don't think too much about it - just get the watch serviced, it's your only real option. 

Edited by permabull

It does not matter if your Asian movement is new because 99% come dry, over oiled and/ or dirty straight from the factory. That makes them as unreliable as a used movement. Look here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/134432-qa-why-do-our-a7750s-need-a-service/?hl=+need%20+service In my opinion your options are: -If you service your A7750 for 200 you will have a cleaned, oiled and very reliable movement. -If you buy a new A7750 movement you still don't know if you have a reliable movement -If you buy a second hand ETA 7750 you still don't know if you have a reliable movement -If you buy a second hand IWC you still don't know if you have a reliable movement -If you buy a new, factory sealed ETA 7750 you will need to lay down 200~300 -If you buy a new, factory sealed IWC you will need to lay down 500+ So if you ask me servicing is not a bad option. This is also more or less the point of my initial post ;)

Haha I agree to all above...

I was just considering my options.

I know that if you buy a new a7750 that it still needs servicing.

So the minimum I have to pay either way is 200 plus repair maybe even more.

So that's half a new gen IWC mov. I now you can do math too..:-)

So that was it, just weighing the options 550 for new IWC mov of 200-250 for serviced/repaired A7750

Don't forget if you buy a new movement, someone has to fit it - more money for that. Maybe ask Domi has some working A7750s that he can fit to your watch? Just trying to work through this...

The fitting is no problem, I can do that myself. But thanks for the suggestion and thinking with me! 

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Any movement is going to wear when it's running.

I'm happy keeping 7750s on my winder, but I just use common sense. If it's a watch I wear regularily I'll put it on the winder. If it's a watch I use once every few months, maybe it's a dress watch or a special watch, I won't put it on the winder.

An easy solution to the problem is buy more watches than you have spaces on the winder, you'll end up keeping the regulars on the winder! :)

• 2 months later...

This is awesome info, thank you!

Been lusting after a PAM386 from puretime, but having reservations about the Asian 7750. Especially since it's a decorated movement in a see through back. Seems a little sad to think of swapping it for a stock ETA.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

just an advise.

When I read question like "why they don't assembly them in a clean environment?", I think that most probably who is posing that question don't have an idea about what this means :).

The clean mounting environment it's not just a clean table. Even skin particles (dandruff) are "dirt" and shouldn't be in a movement. Look below how the gen movement are assembled and thing about that when you ask such question :)

K.r. GenTLe

Seiko assembly room: http://seiko.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-17/pi-4408948/ti-687753/t-/

The A7750 reminds me of many products that are overly trouble prone but still have quite a few fans. I see them as junque, but many do not. To me they are conglomerations of cheapo, ill fitting little bitty parts that need expensive $ervice.

I have a couple but never wore them and if I did, I would not run the timers because that is where the trouble begins...starting, stopping, and resetting.

Otoh, they are Ok for watches with 6-9-12 subdials...if they run Ok to begin with and you keep your fingers off the triggers. Fako 'Navatimers' for instance.

I feel much the same about Asian Miyota clones.