When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on redundancy in collections

TeeJay

As this is something which transcends brand names, I wondered what folks thoughts were with regards this issue in collecting (in the hopes of crystalising my own opinions...) For example, I've seen photos of Rolex collections which showed three or four identical or near identical copies of the same model watch. Personally, I can't really see the point in having such replication, for example, having a GMT Master II, I can't see much point in having a GMTIIC as well (although I can of course, understand that bezel variation could allow for different looks according to wardrobe requirements) but wanted to see what others thought on the subject :good::drinks:

Redundancy? What redundancy?

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

In my case, it's usually because I double down on parts for my builds and once I'm done putting together one watch, I end up with enough parts to build another 1.5 of the same thing.

In the end I always end up parting with one and keeping the other... So I do diversify. But there are often times when I do have overlap and duplication in my watch box.

• Like 1

Redundancy? What redundancy?

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

In my case, it's usually because I double down on parts for my builds and once I'm done putting together one watch, I end up with enough parts to build another 1.5 of the same thing.

In the end I always end up parting with one and keeping the other... So I do diversify. But there are often times when I do have overlap and duplication in my watch box.

Admitedly, the snowflakes are duplication, as the bracelet could always be swapped with the NATO and vice versa, but I wouldn't have said that the DDs or Daytonas were redundancy, as the color variations allow for being better suited to circumstances/wardrobe :) For example, my fluted bezel/jubilee DateJust now has a silver sunburst dial, and as much as I love it, I feel it's a little too showy for everyday wear with jeans and T-Shirt, and I really want to do a DJ project based on your white-dialled DD, with smooth bezel/oyster bracelet, as a potential daily beater which could be worn with the dressed down look ('business barbeque' is the best way to describe the level of formality I'm thinking of for it) and I feel that those differing options would not be duplication, yet I feel that my two planned GMT projects, one extremely vintage, one very contemporary (as they're not planned as daily beaters, just as 'travel watches') I feel wouldn't allow for enough distinction in purpose to not be redundancy/repetition, if that makes any sense? I guess I just wondered what others thought about having several watches which had the same appearance/functions :pardon:

it's one thing to have the same style watch with a different face or bracelet, but i don't get how somone can have a silver and black sub, silver and black gmt, and silver and black sea dweller (as an example)....all are relatively the same

switch it up a bit

yes i do not understand this, I want like 7 different rolex's and most of them look the same, I know this but I still want them all. WHYYYYYYYYYY

But for example, if someone was to have a black-bezel GMT, a Submariner and a Sea-Dweller, although the watches have the same basic overall look, they would all be different, and have different strengths. But several GMTs or Submariners, on the other hand, would be a different matter :lol: I guess I'm just thinking out loud and trying to come to a few decisions on what direction to plan my collection :)

it's one thing to have the same style watch with a different face or bracelet, but i don't get how somone can have a silver and black sub, silver and black gmt, and silver and black sea dweller (as an example)....all are relatively the same

switch it up a bit

That's precisely my thoughts... At the moment, I have a Tudor Sub which I consider a 'summer watch' (as I tend to wear it on a Tropic-style strap) and I want to convert my 16610 Sub into a 16800 Sub (for the challenge of the project) but I am concerned that even that might be an unnecessary duplication (of a black and silver dive watch) of appearances :pardon::bangin:

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that if you are really drawn to a particular watch style then why not have a few of them, even if they are very similar with just slight variations, no biggy, It may look like a lack of variation in some peoples eyes, but what's the point of getting rid of one of those watches that you really like, for something completely different that you only half like :)

I go through phases. :)

DSC_0002-1.jpg

IMGP1833.jpg

But even though they are similar, the color variations do break up that 'same but different' vibe :good: And of course, if they all get a turn as a daily wearer or wardrobe specific piece, that's all good :) From

my own perspective, I'm thinking that I would likely only wear a GMT while on vacation (but of course, with watch collecting, who knows when a new acquisition will become a firm beater) so no need for the alternative selection, yet both are projects I really want to tackle :bangin::lol:

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that if you are really drawn to a particular watch style then why not have a few of them, even if they are very similar with just slight variations, no biggy, It may look like a lack of variation in some peoples eyes, but what's the point of getting rid of one of those watches that you really like, for something completely different that you only half like :)

And of course, everyone's tastes're different, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) I certainly wouldn't get rid of a watch I liked to make room in the box for another (even if I really liked the other watch) as I try to let every watch have their own place in my wardrobe or seasonal scheme :) I might not wear my DateJust every day, but there are times when I feel it is a smarter watch, so more suitable than my Sub, so it still sees action at the right time, I'm just thinking about if it would be redundant to have two watches for only the one occasion, with very little aesthetic difference between them :)

I remember many years ago...my wife saying to me: 'All your watches look alike'.

That is, for the most part they mostly had black dials and ss bracelets. In those days I owned 25 watches.

To me, I thought they were all very different. Go figure.

• Like 1

I'm just thinking about if it would be redundant to have two watches for only the one occasion, with very little aesthetic difference between them :)

Sure, they can both be justified as one being the 'beater' version of the other :D Works fine for me ;) I tell myself things like "It may get a little rough at work today, time for the beater sub or PO!" but they all get worn, then again I'm slightly unhinged in that way :D

Sure, they can both be justified as one being the 'beater' version of the other :D Works fine for me ;) I tell myself things like "It may get a little rough at work today, time for the beater sub or PO!" but they all get worn, then again I'm slightly unhinged in that way :D

Ahh, I rather like that school of thought, and somewhat similar to my own :good: For example:

Day to day beater - 16610 (will become 16800 in time)

Tattooing beater - no date plastic quartz submariner (unaffected by magnetic field from tattoo machine)

Suit Wear - DateJust (silver dial)

Formal Wear - Datejust (black dial on leather strap)

'under the radar' casual - 1655 on leather fatstrap

If I was to consider one GMT project as a 'quiet holiday' or 'cold holiday' watch, the other GMT project could be for vacations in sunnier climates or if more 'robust activities' are planned :g: That could work :victory: Thanks for making the decision clearer :good::tu:

I remember many years ago...my wife saying to me: 'All your watches look alike'.

That is, for the most part they mostly had black dials and ss bracelets. In those days I owned 25 watches.

To me, I thought they were all very different. Go figure.

Did that make you reconsider your collection in any way? How many do you own now? Is there more diversity in the collection?

I am with TJ on this.

To me the great thing about a rep collection is that you can be all over the place. Different styles for work and weekends. For smart and casual. And to match the colour mood I happen to be in on the day.

So have a collection of steel, gold, chronos, non-chronos and colours ranging from Black via blue, green, red and orange to white.

Love it when each day is different.

Redundancy is in the eye of the beholder.

Many people would feel like Jeff's wife. At a macro level they all look the same.

But to a watch nut like us, the minutia make them all slightly different and unique...

It's a sickness, really :)

I am with TJ on this.

To me the great thing about a rep collection is that you can be all over the place. Different styles for work and weekends. For smart and casual. And to match the colour mood I happen to be in on the day.

So have a collection of steel, gold, chronos, non-chronos and colours ranging from Black via blue, green, red and orange to white.

Love it when each day is different.

That reminds me of my pre-marriage collection, when I really did have a lot of variety :) The problem I found was that I tended to wear a main beater, and many of the others simply sat on the shelf collecting dust :bangin: It was rebuilding my collection which made me decide to have a 'seasonal' watch, with other options for occasional changes in needs or wardrobe :)

Redundancy is in the eye of the beholder.

Many people would feel like Jeff's wife. At a macro level they all look the same.

But to a watch nut like us, the minutia make them all slightly different and unique...

It's a sickness, really :)

I totally agree, to any non-collectors, a watch is a watch, and they pretty much look the same :) I just remember the collection I saw a photo a while back, which was literally four 1680s, four 5513s, four 16610s etc, to me, that really did seem a tad redundant :D

If I find a rep I love I buy a second one just to be safe so I don't have to worry about it becoming out of stock, future crackdowns etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's quite a good idea though, it at least allows for repairs or a complete replacement :)

That reminds me of my pre-marriage collection, when I really did have a lot of variety :) The problem I found was that I tended to wear a main beater, and many of the others simply sat on the shelf collecting dust :bangin: It was rebuilding my collection which made me decide to have a 'seasonal' watch, with other options for occasional changes in needs or wardrobe :)

Another proof that men turn grey when they get married....

;)

Another proof that men turn grey when they get married....

;)

I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet, as both my mum and maternal grandmother went grey in their late twenties :D To be honest, I'd rather have had a full head of grey hair already than being a dark-haired slaphead :bangin::lol:

Personally, I try to buy watches that DON'T look too much alike. For example, I currently have 11 Pams in my collection. To me Panerai is probably the WORST example of having MANY models that look VERY similar. I know that there are variations in the wording on the dial, movement type and caseback, but how many polished Pams are there with a black dial and seconds at 9? In my Pam sub collection I have one polished with a dark dial (359), one polished with a white dial (113), One PVD destro (026k), One PVD right CG (360), One Luminor GMT (029m), one PVD Radiomir (292k), one polished Radiomir chrono, (288k), one Ferrari chrono (0014), and three submersibles (186, 243 & 024). The 186 Arktos looks alot different than the other two subs, so really the only two Pams that I have that could possibly be mistaken for the same watch are the 024 and the 243.

To me, the main reason to collect is to take a taste of this and a taste of that, savoring the differences in the hobby as a whole, rather than exploring the minute variations between very similar models. Tha's why my collection contains 20 different BRANDS of watches. Granted, Panerai being the largest. I just love wearing a different watch every day that really looks different from the last. That said, I admit to having a black Rolex sub, an LV sub, a GMT and an SD. They ARE all pretty similar with the exception of the green LV bezel.