When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on redundancy in collections

TeeJay

I think I know what you mean TeeJay.

I've got a gen GMTIIC, a gen DJ with a grey tapestry dial, a black dial Skyland rep, a yellow dial Seawolf rep, an Ebel Discovery panda rep, a black dial PP Aquanaut rep, a PAM 111M rep, a Graham Chronofighter Tech Seal rep and a solar powered radio controlled G-Shock.

But I don't have anything with a blue dial, or an orange bezel, or any TAG, or AP, or IWC, or Chopard................yet!!! :fool:

Redundancy? What redundancy?

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

In my case, it's usually because I double down on parts for my builds and once I'm done putting together one watch, I end up with enough parts to build another 1.5 of the same thing.

In the end I always end up parting with one and keeping the other... So I do diversify. But there are often times when I do have overlap and duplication in my watch box.

Holy crap I love the Tudor subs....next time you part with in of those let me know :)

Personally, I try to buy watches that DON'T look too much alike. For example, I currently have 11 Pams in my collection. To me Panerai is probably the WORST example of having MANY models that look VERY similar. I know that there are variations in the wording on the dial, movement type and caseback, but how many polished Pams are there with a black dial and seconds at 9? In my Pam sub collection I have one polished with a dark dial (359), one polished with a white dial (113), One PVD destro (026k), One PVD right <acronym title='Crown Guard'>CG</acronym> (360), One Luminor GMT (029m), one PVD Radiomir (292k), one polished Radiomir chrono, (288k), one Ferrari chrono (0014), and three submersibles (186, 243 & 024). The 186 Arktos looks alot different than the other two subs, so really the only two Pams that I have that could possibly be mistaken for the same watch are the 024 and the 243.

To me, the main reason to collect is to take a taste of this and a taste of that, savoring the differences in the hobby as a whole, rather than exploring the minute variations between very similar models. Tha's why my collection contains 20 different BRANDS of watches. Granted, Panerai being the largest. I just love wearing a different watch every day that really looks different from the last. That said, I admit to having a black Rolex sub, an LV sub, a GMT and an SD. They ARE all pretty similar with the exception of the green LV bezel.

I think I know what you mean TeeJay.

I've got a gen GMTIIC, a gen DJ with a grey tapestry dial, a black dial Skyland rep, a yellow dial Seawolf rep, an Ebel Discovery panda rep, a black dial PP Aquanaut rep, a PAM 111M rep, a Graham Chronofighter Tech Seal rep and a solar powered radio controlled G-Shock.

But I don't have anything with a blue dial, or an orange bezel, or any TAG, or AP, or IWC, or Chopard................yet!!! :fool:

Those both sounds like fantastic collections, amigos :good::drinks: And absolutely, I think that variety makes for the most interesting and versatile collections :)

Each watch is a work of art unto itself. All the major watch companies have their signature style, and offer designs and choices to the buyer. Yes a Rolex, is recognizable, as the basic design is their trademark. Same with Cartier, Panerai, IWC, etc, For us watch collectors, there are distinctive aspects of appeal and personality which drives us to own them, They make us happy. Car collectors buying Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, etc, will buy several of each model, because they ar distinctice in their own way. Collect away, who cares what anyone thinks of your watches look similar. Be happy, buy what speaks to you as a collector.

Each watch is a work of art unto itself. All the major watch companies have their signature style, and offer designs and choices to the buyer. Yes a Rolex, is recognizable, as the basic design is their trademark. Same with Cartier, Panerai, IWC, etc, For us watch collectors, there are distinctive aspects of appeal and personality which drives us to own them, They make us happy. Car collectors buying Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, etc, will buy several of each model, because they ar distinctice in their own way. Collect away, who cares what anyone thinks of your watches look similar. Be happy, buy what speaks to you as a collector.

Very true :good::drinks:

yikes...Breitlings, bloody Breitlings...i'm guilty of collecting more than one model... :fool:

i own 7 Breitling Chrono or Skyland Avengers...why?...well - i have different colored dials and i mix/match the straps/bracelets...so depending on what look/feel I i want to wear, i always have something ready to wear...

1) ti Chrono Avenger with dark gray Skyland dial on chocolate brown strap

2) ss Chrono Avenger franken with gen blue Chrono Avenger dial on polished ss pro ii bracelet

3) ss Chrono Avenger with white dial on polished ss pro i bracelet

4) Skyland Avenger with gray dial on green/silver Maratac Zulu strap

5) Skyland Avenger with black dial on black diver pro rubber strap

6) Skyland Avenger, case brushed, with black dial on brushed ss pro ii bracelet

7) Skyland Avenger Code Yellow, on ocean racer deployment rubber strap

3 Navitimers...

1) old skool, black dial tri-compax arabic dial on black calf leather strap/deployment

2) old skool, white dial tri-compax arabic dial on tan/brown leather python strap/deployment

3) old skool, black dial Series Speciale Fighter edition, brushed ss case, brushed ss navitimer bracelet

2 Steelfish...

1) early release version, franken, with gen black dial on diver pro rubber strap

2) genuine blue dial with brushed ss bracelet (the real deal)

• Like 1

yikes...Breitlings, bloody Breitlings...i'm guilty of collecting more than one model... :fool:

i own 7 Breitling Chrono or Skyland Avengers...why?...well - i have different colored dials and i mix/match the straps/bracelets...so depending on what look/feel I i want to wear, i always have something ready to wear...

2) ss Chrono Avenger franken with gen blue Chrono Avenger dial on polished ss pro ii bracelet

3 Navitimers...

1) old skool, black dial tri-compax arabic dial on black calf leather strap/deployment

2) old skool, white dial tri-compax arabic dial on tan/brown leather python strap/deployment

3) old skool, black dial Series Speciale Fighter edition, brushed ss case, brushed ss navitimer bracelet

2 Steelfish...

1) early release version, franken, with gen black dial on diver pro rubber strap

Nice variety :tu: :tu:

I guess it's a matter of taste. Oddly, I don't have have a 16610 - my first gen watch that I flipped. I have a variety of subs but no 16610. Is the 1680 that different from the 1665 GW, the 1665 double Red or the 16600? Not really, but they are all different enough. The 16600 with the sapphire crystal is a good beater while the older 1665s are nice short sleeve type watches.

Ask LHOOQ why has now 5 1016's? Because he can!

3 Navitimers...

2 Steelfish...

i demand pix NOW !

I guess it's a matter of taste. Oddly, I don't have have a 16610 - my first gen watch that I flipped. I have a variety of subs but no 16610. Is the 1680 that different from the 1665 GW, the 1665 double Red or the 16600? Not really, but they are all different enough. The 16600 with the sapphire crystal is a good beater while the older 1665s are nice short sleeve type watches.

Ask LHOOQ why has now 5 1016's? Because he can!

I think you're absolutely right, and indeed, the differences between the models is very little, even though the watches are different :) With LHOOQ's 1016s, they are all different, different finishes to the dials, different bracelets, etc, the collection I referenced in my opening post was made up of identical pieces with no real variation :D An interesting difference between say the 1680 and 1665 is the size/thinkness of the case, and as much a difference, as any other difference in the design, and something I'm considering now with one of my custom GMT project plans: do I obtain a Sea-Dweller, have the bezel modified to accept a GMTIIc insert, and modify the dial to fit over the GMT movement (and risk a datewheel misallignment, or, do I simply buy a Deep GMT (having never been a fan of the DSSD) Thickness of the case the main issue I was considering in terms of how the finished article turns out, but I must admit, I'm thinking a Deep GMT might be the safer option, as at least I know the datewheel will line up with the dial :lol: