When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sub - $79 bang for buck?

Had a look around the forums for a sub (non C), but i cant get past how this sub is so damn cheap at $79 (link below)

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/144682-great-submariner-only-79/page__pid__1107324#entry1107324

granted its one of the worst movements out there (2813, pretty much means a 21j? am i correct?), but besides that. Exteriorwise, is it bang-for-buck, a decent rep? not too sure on what factory build this may be (N-Factory? Wm9? TW?) as i dont know the tell signs of what factory it comes from.

Hoping the community of experts here can shed some light on this? and whether it will be a good buy (just as long as im not spending $79 if its terrible).

Well, it's got the LV dial with the larger hour markers. Case is decent but it's not going to be TW or WM9 for that price. But it has decent rehaut. Trim the cgs and a regular 16610 dial and it would be a good buy. I'm just not big on LV dials in a 16610 case but some people like them.

But for $79 you can't go too wrong...

Well, it's got the LV dial with the larger hour markers. Case is decent but it's not going to be TW or WM9 for that price. But it has decent rehaut. Trim the cgs and a regular 16610 dial and it would be a good buy. I'm just not big on LV dials in a 16610 case but some people like them.

But for $79 you can't go too wrong...

Not too sure what you mean by trim the cgs and put in the 16610 dial (i presume thats the gen dial thats going to cost a fortune?). I agree with you as well, not much of a fan of the fat dial (LV? whys it called that).

Not too sure what you mean by trim the cgs and put in the 16610 dial (i presume thats the gen dial thats going to cost a fortune?). I agree with you as well, not much of a fan of the fat dial (LV? whys it called that).

Trim the crown guards- rep cgs are too fat, gen cgs are thinner

A regular rep 16610 dial would be fine, not a gen which isn't worth the money on a $79 rep

LV is lunette verte- referring to the green bezel insert on the 50th anny sub- the dial has the fatter hour markers to distinguish it from the regular 16610 sub dial.

Notice how the cgs on this sub don't wrap around the crown- it's a gen watch

KGrHqQOKj4E6dUbyjBOoNgJpDFQ60_31.jpg

trying hunting down narikaa on repgeek. mr noobmariner

While Narikaa is an awesome dealer, why would you pay him $40 extra for the exact same NoobMariner?

And the A21j is not the "worst movement". It's an improved copy of the venerable Japanese Miyota/Citizen workhorse and with proper assembly and oiling it is as good as any other movement.

Of course the 2813 is low-beat so it will appear a bit less refined than a high-beat movement when observing the seconds hand.

If it breaks?? $18 for a new one.