When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's what happened to wm9

bklm1234

I just came back from a 2 week trip to China and Hong Kong. Thanks to TC, I met a representative from the company that bought out wm9. According to the rep, wm9 was owned by the Ku's family and another partner. The Ku's family is mainly the father and the son. Some other family members also worked there. Roger Ku was the father who's also the designer and master watchmaker. Wm9 George told me on Jan 1, 2010 Roger Ku passed away on Dec 20th. The last email I got from George was June 9, 2010. The rep I met told me the young Ku, the son, died in a car crash around June 2010. The rep remembered the young Ku was a stylish man, loved to drive fast, crashed his Lamborghini and died around June 2010. Was George the son? I have no way to confirm it because I never asked George's last name and the rep doesn't know the young Ku's English name. I can't help but feel a sense of loss. It's one thing George stopped emailing me since June 2010. It's another thing to think of him dead. I seriously hope George is not the son. He's just somewhere on a beach, sipping a Mai Tai. I anyhow feel bad the Ku's were gone.

When the Ku's were alive, they split the market with their partner like this: the partner took Asia and the Ku's took the rest of the world. So wm9 was a brand that belonged to the Ku's. All in all, it's one company that made all the watches. When I was reselling for wm9, George told me not to sell to Asia. I now understand why.

With the Ku's gone, the remaining partner bought out the whole company. I tried to call the current company the new wm9. That's not quite appropriate because the owner was never part of wm9 even it's the same company/factory that made the wm9 watches and makes the current TC subs

Added 5/17/2012: I forgot about this. On April 25, 2010, on explaining why so much delay in shipping my components, George wrote "My cousin Allan was poisoned by carbon monoxide on Mar 27. He hasn't wake up since the accident and is like a vegetable since. We're the only two family members in this business. So, I have to take care of his part as well". Allan was the one who took care of shipping things. When I talked to the rep of the current company, I asked if the young Ku had a cousin that was poisoned by carbon monoxide, he said yes immediately. Said he's still in a vegetative state. I hate so much to accept George was the young Ku. But all the data seems to point to one conclusion.

-bk

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an amazing bit of detective work, and a very sad story. Thank you for relating this important news to the community.

It's also potentially explosive, since the people with money invested in the WM9 SD pre-order might rally against the original business partner.

As for a factory name .. how about WM10 :1a:

I still have not got over missing out on the infamous 'SD project'. At that time I was dealing direct with George and not active on the forums. I had a $375 early pre order directly in with him..............Sorry B - did not even know of you in those days!

He/they was always a delight to work with and I was shocked at the time of the melt down and the aftermath. In a strange way, that led me into the forum world!!! It was worth every dime invested guys :clap2:

Perhaps your supposition about George/son of Ku is correct B; and this is truly what happened and explains a lot.

Anyhow, obviously a very sad loss to you and many other associates of 'George'.

Well if that is the case then it answers what happened,

I cant see how there could be any rally againt the original partner or the new owner, that is one of the rep worlds hazards.

but it would be good if we can start the ball rolling with this new factory and get some new top watches made

I cant see how there could be any rally againt the original partner or the new owner, that is one of the rep worlds hazards.

You can't see how people might do anything to get their money back? People are nuts for money. :crazy::gun:

I hope TC and BK are not now caught in a sea of angry email from such people. That would be a tremendous waste of time.

Thanks for the update. Intriguing, it is is. At least, now we understand why the TC is the updated WM9. It's still strange that other business people could not just manufacture something equivalent or better

Like others have said, let's start producing true 1:1 reps of every kind.

thanks for the update

Thank you for taking the time to find out what you did. I had wondered why George just 'disappeared' though now, it seems reasonable that George must have died. I have emails from him up until early 2010. Then, I didn't have any reason to email.

I had my WM9 Jumbo up for sale - didn't get any reasonable offers. I'm glad I didn't sell it.

very nice ferry tale :)

i remember the old WM9 website very well - it was full of BS - this story fits perfect ;) and a Lambo - wow :)

a James Dean Porsche would have been better ....

I'm happy that these watches available again - the prices are fair thanks to TC.

usually i would say the more dealer offer them - the better - sadly the reseller

speak to each other - so we don't see any progress on the price side ...

we all know that the rep makers and resellers make a fortune on us junkies ;)

i personally don't need any touching background story - they are nice Reps, except gen part an are made in China ,,,

cheers,

Frank