When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's what happened to wm9

bklm1234

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot about this. On April 25, 2010, on explaining why so much delay in shipping my components, George wrote "My cousin Allan was poisoned by carbon monoxide on Mar 27. He hasn't wake up since the accident and is like a vegetable since. We're the only two family members in this business. So, I have to take care of his part as well". Allan was the one who took care of shipping things. When I talked to the rep of the current company, I asked if the young Ku had a cousin that was poisoned by carbon monoxide, he said yes immediately. Said he's still in a vegetative state. I hate so much to accept George was the young Ku. But all the data seems to point to one conclusion.

The rep made a comment that sent shivers to my spine. To paraphrase him: "I don't know if this business is cursed or the Ku's were cursed". Anyway, I worked about 2 years with George. I was mad at him for a while that he didn't reply my emails. Then I told myself George must have been very burnt out from operating wm9 after a slur of unfortunate events, the old Ku passed away, his cousin was poisoned, his warehouse got flooded, his bracelet-smith retired. I'm sure the customers never stopped mail-bombing him. It's totally understandable he would have said "enough is enough, I don't want to deal with this. I would take a back seat and just make molds for other factories". That was my theory. I was awaiting his comeback to making watches. Now this? Not the kind of closure I want but a closure after all.

-bk

I remember Allan and what happened to him and did not realise he had survived that!

My last payment and email from George was around that time which was also around the time that the bi metal subs were going out to customers along with lv's.

A good trip in more ways than one Bert!

Very sad end to a visionary family.

With all due respect,BK,

"Heres what happened to wm9" as a title to a thread about this subject from a guy that just spent 2 weeks in Asia is a bit of a stretch. They will cry ya a river buddy,been around them and am married into them,most of my life.

"Heres my thoughts" would be far more appropriate. You have no idea after 2 weeks what the truth is about what happened. Even 2 years would still be questionable if your an outsider.

Anyway,it is what it is,sad story of a remote possibility.

IIRC, this "dealer" was originally regarded as a scammer when he first emerged....Then a while later he became a venerated "superbuilder".......then a bunch of folks got $crewed on a prospective build deal.......Now he's dead or catatonic....

If you spend enough time around the rep world, you'll hear it all.....Won't you Neil...??? :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

With all due respect,BK,

"Heres what happened to wm9" as a title to a thread about this subject from a guy that just spent 2 weeks in Asia is a bit of a stretch. They will cry ya a river buddy,been around them and am married into them,most of my life.

"Heres my thoughts" would be far more appropriate. You have no idea after 2 weeks what the truth is about what happened. Even 2 years would still be questionable if your an outsider.

Anyway,it is what it is,sad story of a remote possibility.

@Dave123: What stretch? Some smartass you are.

Edited by bklm1234

IIRC, this "dealer" was originally regarded as a scammer when he first emerged....Then a while later he became a venerated "superbuilder".......then a bunch of folks got $crewed on a prospective build deal.......Now he's dead or catatonic....

If you spend enough time around the rep world, you'll hear it all.....Won't you Neil...??? :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

@Frank

You fookin' rock...

M

I have heard a variation of this story...

A friend knew a fellow from China that lived in NYC who sent him all kinds of stuff for 4 or 5 years...designer style handbags, cheapo fashion watches, jewelry etc...no replica trademark items but he could get them.

My friend visited him twice in NYC and made the rounds with him to meet other dealers etc. The fellow was in his late 20's.

About two years ago the fellow said he was going back to China for a month and while he was there, his 'Uncle' called and said the guy fell and broke a leg (true or false?) and would be gone about three months instead of one.

He came back to NYC after a few months and then got harder and harder to get on the phone.

Finally, no answers or call-backs at all. Total silence.

My friend called the 'Uncle' and asked what happened.

His answer was that the fellow got killed in China in a car accident (BMW this time) and he would be taking orders from now on.

Later on as he got to know the Uncle, the Uncle said this is how they 'retire' from the business...claim to go DOA in an accident of some sort and break all ties with customers. If they go back in business, they start fresh with a new name etc.

The 'Uncle' is still Ok in NYC and answering his phone as of last Friday...we talked to him.

How did we get in contact with the first NYC guy to start with?

Paid $500 for the phone number and a reference to someone who did business with him.

About 7 or 8 years back we got to know 'a guy' who sold nib genuine Seiko 5, Orient, and Eta 2836-2 Oniss watches by paying up the same way (but less). Iirc the Seiko 5 were $40, the regular Orients were $35, the 50 year calendar Orients were $55, and the Oniss were $75. The Oniss were styled after the rolex prez.

I have heard a variation of this story...

A friend knew a fellow from China that lived in NYC who sent him all kinds of stuff for 4 or 5 years...designer style handbags, cheapo fashion watches, jewelry etc...no replica trademark items but he could get them.

My friend visited him twice in NYC and made the rounds with him to meet other dealers etc. The fellow was in his late 20's.

About two years ago the fellow said he was going back to China for a month and while he was there, his 'Uncle' called and said the guy fell and broke a leg (true or false?) and would be gone about three months instead of one.

He came back to NYC after a few months and then got harder and harder to get on the phone.

Finally, no answers or call-backs at all. Total silence.

My friend called the 'Uncle' and asked what happened.

His answer was that the fellow got killed in China in a car accident (BMW this time) and he would be taking orders from now on.

Later on as he got to know the Uncle, the Uncle said this is how they 'retire' from the business...claim to go DOA in an accident of some sort and break all ties with customers. If they go back in business, they start fresh with a new name etc.

The 'Uncle' is still Ok in NYC and answering his phone as of last Friday...we talked to him.

How did we get in contact with the first NYC guy to start with?

Paid $500 for the phone number and a reference to someone who did business with him.

About 7 or 8 years back we got to know 'a guy' who sold nib genuine Seiko 5, Orient, and Eta 2836-2 Oniss watches by paying up the same way (but less). Iirc the Seiko 5 were $40, the regular Orients were $35, the 50 year calendar Orients were $55, and the Oniss were $75. The Oniss were styled after the rolex prez.

ETA 2836-2 powered watch for $75?

Very hard to believe.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2