When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's what happened to wm9

bklm1234

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George's last email to me was on 11 June 2009 letting me know my order postion for the SD, it was 57 and due to be deliverd in September 09.

Also in the year 2008 George was selling the yachtmaster with the KU 24 movement inside ( KU family), thanks for the info BK, sad story.

Jeez, what a story.

I still feel bad for the people that lost money from the pre-order.

bagic1, KU 24 movement, what is that?

You could buy a watch from WM9 with a swiss ETA, but there was also WM9's own in house movement KU 24 or the KU 92 cant remember which one, they cost extra if you wanted one fully serviced and decorated. BK could probably explain more.

Thanks much for reply, bagic.

I didn't know WM9 had his own movement, I wonder where he got his ebauches from....

You could buy a watch from WM9 with a swiss ETA, but there was also WM9's own in house movement KU 24 or the KU 92 cant remember which one, they cost extra if you wanted one fully serviced and decorated. BK could probably explain more.

Imagine, if you can, trying to get one of THOSE serviced!!!!

Most likely a modified Chinese 21j "something"......I cannot imagine them building an entire proprietary movement for such a limited application...Then "going away" ..

"ETA 2836-2 powered watch for $75?

Very hard to believe."

You just hit a nerve. ;)

You gotta know 'A Guy'!

I got about 12 Oniss for $75 during that time along with 40 (forty) new 'swiss' Gruen 2824-2 automatics plus a dozen or so eta 2789 powered Bachshmid Steelmasters (I never heard of them either!) for $40 each plus other odds and ends with etas...one being a new steel Swiss Army with display back, goldtone dial, and eta 2824-2, another was a steel Titoni Airmaster, and I still have a maroon dial day/date 2836 powered Mido Commander that was in the load. It is new but the goofy crown (with a cork gasket!) has the stem broken off in it.

One brand that comes to mind in an earlier deal was 'Jaques Prevard' and gro 'nick and dent' store return dive models with 17 jewel eta 2846 were 4 for $100. Dumazz me gave a bunch of them away.

I did not count about 20 watches I got from 'Paul' a few years back when he was having a 'Crazy Sale!!' on watches with 2836 etas in them for $99 delivered. A few forum members may remember Paul's 'Crazy Sales'.

The guy I got the Gruens from had a few thousand of them...brand new closeouts from a big USA retailer. This same 'Guy' used to sell common quartz store returns to street vendors in NYC for $100 for a snow shovel full. The biggest load of watches we ever got in one whack was 34,000 or 36,000, can't remember.

Every time I tell a story like this someone will post a remark, send a pm etc saying they do not believe it.

Anyone who knows me believes it. Just ask my wife. :air_kiss:

"ETA 2836-2 powered watch for $75?

Very hard to believe."

You just hit a nerve. ;)

You gotta know 'A Guy'!

The guy I got the Gruens from had a few thousand of them...brand new closeouts from a big USA retailer.

Every time I tell a story like this someone will post a remark, send a pm etc saying they do not believe it.

Anyone who knows me believes it. Just ask my wife. :air_kiss:

I misunderstood. I thought you were actively getting these as new.

I understand these sorts of deals can be had from new old stocks and from closeout deals.

Theres a French seller we buy from that sells nos ETA 7750 elabores for $200.

Getting Orients for $40 must be pretty cool too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Jake: No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

• 2 weeks later...

@Dave123: if you actually said something like "BK, still no hard evidence George is the son, the young Ku. Just your guess", I'd think you're a critical thinker instead. How is the length of time one spends on solving a mystery an indication of credibility? If you'd like to point out some fallacies in my findings instead of casually dismissing me, I'd love to learn from you. BTW, I have a history of 2 years working with wm9. So it's not just 2 weeks IF you think "how long" is important. I titled this post "here's what happened" but you had to correct me that it should be "here're my thoughts". I don't know what else to think of you other than smartass. The Ku's that owned wm9 died. The remaining partner of the factory bought out wm9's shares. That's what happened to wm9, not my thoughts. Also note I didn't title this "Here's what happened to wm9 George" because I only stated some data points and my guess, which were my thoughts. I hope you can tell the difference.

Edited by bklm1234

Thank you for sharing BK, a very sad story. Perhaps one of the most beautiful things about owning a watch is the story behind it and the lives that have gone into creating and maintaining it. Gen or rep, this is always the case and I'm grateful to those that made WM9 a reality for so many of us.

I think the REAL question is:

What happened to the substantial amount of money that a bunch of trusting folks advanced to his organization before his untimely demise..???

When his old "partner" bought out his ownership, did he also assume his obligations pursuant to the business...??? :g: :g: