When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting genuine insert on upo 45mm guide (picture update)

the_rymeister

Hi all well I got up this morning and thought I would attempt fitting a genuine insert on my franken upo, this being one of the last mods to this rep unless I can get a cheap genuine crystal to top it off. It already has gen dial,hands,crown and tube :)

So I bought a genuine bezel and insert from a member on another forum and was planning on fitting both the bezel and the insert, but after searching heavily and messaging a few of the top modders and other members with so called gen bezels I found that they do not fit without heavy modding to the case or bezel due to difference in size and the clicker rail in a different place, both are imho a waste of money when you compare both gen and rep bezel side by side, there really isn't any difference in the look once fitted.Here's a picture to show you the difference between gen and rep.....

Gen on left you can see the clicker rail is in a different place to the rep...

post-40133-133754119156.jpg

And here's with inserts on to show they look the same apart from the obvious position of the pearl

post-40133-133754141458.jpg

Onto the modding ;)

If you look at the underside of the gen insert you can see there is a raised line all the way round in the centre.....

post-40133-133754154384.jpg

This has to be filed off to fit on the rep bezel, I have a second case to use as a tested whilst filing and checking..

This is what it started off as, you can see in the picture that it's raised due to the part that need filing....

post-40133-133754173568.jpg

post-40133-133754175696.jpg

This was about half way through the filing of the insert, you can see the line In the centre is starting to disappear....

post-40133-133754240562.jpg

In this picture below this is the technique I used by tilting the insert and keeping the file flat, this is the rep insert for demo purpose as I forgot to take a picture :)

post-40133-133754250557.jpg

All you have to do is file until the centre line has gone and the insert fits as it should on bezel,also you need to sand very lightly around the whole insert as it is ever so slightly bigger that the rep, I used 2000 grit and went round literally a couple of times, again take your time and keep testing before you file/sand too much :)

post-40133-133754259839.jpg

This is what it looked like, when you happy with the fitment you'll need to glue it on...

post-40133-133754273048.jpg

post-40133-133754274168.jpg

I used a 2 part epoxy glue which I bought from a hardware shop ages ago called jb weld which is used to bond almost anything together, metal being the no.1 thing it's made for, I put a small amount round the insert on the inner part, I used a toothpick to apply it on....

post-40133-13375428736.jpg

post-40133-133754288523.jpg

Then put the insert on and lined up the lines with the points on the bezel ring and wiped off any excess glue. Hopefully it will stick as its drying as I type this ;)

post-40133-133754298349.jpg

Can't wait to pop it and and see it in its full glory :)

Hope this helps anyone trying to fit a genuine insert on a upo 45mm

Cheers

Ry :D

• Like 1

Cheers guys got up and checked the insert and it seems pretty secure, hard to test really, I don't want to pull it to hard but it seems to be on there :D

I'll take some pics later and post up the finished result.....looks amazing, there's something about having a centered pearl ;)

Great work Ry and great pics, the pearl is always a issue with me, mods can be done well but it's very hard to compete with proper bezel. Next move now will be the AR, even if you dont get a gen (which are a bit crazy in price) something like Taka AR on rep crystal is extremely close in transparency to the omega double AR. Good transparency really makes the dial and lume pop. Chief does very similar also.

Rymeister - I went a little crazy with UPO a couple years back - its an amazing watch so i dont think i was the only one. Anyways - I had two frankens and now own the gen. One had taka double A/R and while amazing improvement over stock, considering the work you have already done on the watch - i would have to recommend getting the gen crystal. You kinda have to see things in person to compare as photos will not capture the difference.

I would say that if you already have a UPO that has upgraded double A/R on it then it is not worth going gen. But if you are currently at stock crystal it makes most sense to go straight to gen.

I would also highly recommend putting it on a new black isofrane strap!!! It is much better than the gen rubber IMHO.

Who's the best to use for AR, havnt really looked into it much, is it take and chief who do AR ? Cheers guys :)

@dluddy, my pearl really bugged me for ages as every time I looked at my watch it was obviouse it was incorrect , I just waited until this insert popped up on rg second hand. :) so glad I've fitted it I would deffinatly reccomended to everyone with upo :)

My UPO has chief AR, it's very strong and almost colourless, you can see a pale greeny blue tint in certain angles and it's very focused, not over the entire crystal if that makes any sense! :confused: I've handled a UPO with k222 double AR which was very strong with a deep blue/purple tint, this was more gen-like in appearance (judging from photos, I've never handled a gen UPO).

In all honesty either Taka's or Chief's AR will be a big improvement, I haven't seen Taka's AR but if he offers a blue tint then that might be closer to gen, but Chief might be able to offer that too.. I think with Chief's most people are blown away by the sheer strength of it, in some angles it really looks like there's no crystal on the watch!

I agree with Demonslayer - the difference between no A/R and aftermarket A/R is insane - especially if you have the gen dial. Hmm.. its a tough call.

Dluddly - i have a a spare gen orange bezel (bezel and insert). PM me if you are interested.

Hi Demonslayer, I'm kinda the other way round to you, I haven't seen chief AR, but have heard all the good things about it etc. I do have taka AR and the transparent effect is extremely strong and is very close to the Omega AR transparancy on my gen 42mm PO. I've heard taka and chief are pretty similar, low hue and big transparency, either way can't go wrong I suppose. Uwe also does AR and I have that on a 4th gen PO. The golden tint is very high on uwe AR, looks great and seems very durable but very different to gen and not as transparent as the others.