When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blancpain fifty fathom.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

luigi: My personal favorite is the LIP-Blancpain that I bought aka "FF795". The TR-900 I mentioned corresponds with FF21, which is the strongest replication, in my opinion. That said, it's hard to go wrong with any of the No-Rads variants, and I love the fonts of the "U.S. NAVY" (FF20).

Go with whichever dial/bezel combination you prefer. None is an especially close replication of the original, nor is any of them glaringly wrong.

(Sheesh, that was an awkward sentence.)

luigi: My personal favorite is the LIP-Blancpain that I bought aka "FF795". The TR-900 I mentioned corresponds with FF21, which is the strongest replication, in my opinion. That said, it's hard to go wrong with any of the No-Rads variants, and I love the fonts of the "U.S. NAVY" (FF20).

Go with whichever dial/bezel combination you prefer. None is an especially close replication of the original, nor is any of them glaringly wrong.

(Sheesh, that was an awkward sentence.)

thanks very much. i flip around on which is my favorite, and i guess they are cheap enough to buy two or three; in the end,as much as i like the 'no rads' ones, prob the one you picked out - 795 - wins out, not sure why.

Very interesting link to the vintage Fifty Fathoms. just as and aside MKII watches made a couple of homages to the Fifty Fathoms, one called the Stingray and the second the Seafighter. Also Bill Yao, the owner of MKII bought all the rights and patents, specifications, etc. from Tornac Rayville. So MKII owns the TR name. In factBillYao produced a very limited edition (15 watches) of the Tornac Rayville. Possible plans to produce more in the future.

Here are a couple of photos of my Stingray. Top one is at home, and the second was taken while snorkeling in Barbados

Stingray-zulu4.jpg

StThomas1.jpg

Guys, any idea which case will be able to accommodate a 26mm dial?

Is it just the phong one?

Dsn's is too big.

I'm even checking out the homage makers in this quest.

So far i've deduced that the precista 50 may be a contender, but the corvus, mkII and helson may not be....

I read somewhere, don't remember where, a long time ago, don't remember when, that the genuine Fifty Fathoms feels poorly constructed and cheap compared to other brands in a similar price range. A good rep, would be one of the rare last reps I would buy... I have been waiting for one going on 6 or 7 years... but to spend that kind of money on a gen... I don't think so honey boo boo.

Edited by Corgi

I read somewhere, don't remember where, a long time ago, don't remember when, that the genuine Fifty Fathoms feels poorly constructed and cheap compared to other brands in a similar price range. A good rep, would be one of the rare last reps I would buy... I have been waiting for one going on 6 or 7 years... but to spend that kind of money on a gen... I don't think so honey boo boo.

It's funny you say that I Borrowed one from an older gentleman who bought it back in the day and it was pretty tinny. Then again it is not like the early Rolex sports watches were much to write home about either. I was shocked how cheap the 50's watches felt.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Many years without posting on the forum but im interested on that question and i need to reply that old post.

It is possible buy a precista PRS50 and put inside a DSN Blancpain dial on it? Davidsen sell for parts? I want a dial of milspec 1 in the precista cases, nearly perfect, the watch of my dreams! haha. Thanks in advance friends.

Guys, any idea which case will be able to accommodate a 26mm dial?

Is it just the phong one?
Dsn's is too big.

I'm even checking out the homage makers in this quest.
So far i've deduced that the precista 50 may be a contender, but the corvus, mkII and helson may not be....

If you email Davidsen, he'll be happy to sell you individual parts.  It's still a hassle to pay, though, and I'm not sure how the dimensions of the PRS-50 match up with DSN's Fifty Fathoms. 

There were several genuine Blancpain dials that were up on ebay a few days ago, including an Aqua Lung that went for just over $200.  I would've grabbed it, but I've blown through my watch budget with an unexpectedly extensive repair. 

The dial dimensions of the Precista are 26mm, if the DSN one are the same or close im sure anyone can fit it into the the precista, or i hope so haha. Thanks for your answer.

Anyway, anyone knows the dial dimensions of the Davidsen Blancpain dials? 

edit: ck5533 IMHO the best Blancpain rep.

If you email Davidsen, he'll be happy to sell you individual parts.  It's still a hassle to pay, though, and I'm not sure how the dimensions of the PRS-50 match up with DSN's Fifty Fathoms. 

There were several genuine Blancpain dials that were up on ebay a few days ago, including an Aqua Lung that went for just over $200.  I would've grabbed it, but I've blown through my watch budget with an unexpectedly extensive repair. 

Edited by zaly

And i will add a newbie question, it is possible to fit the davidsen dial 28mm into the precista case for 26 mm dials? And the hands of davidsen will fit into the precista movement? Thanks!

Torobravo`s Blancpain rep, i think (because i saw on other forums) is for the modern version of the fifty.

I've been holding out hope for one of these forever, either vintage or modern.  Not to be a Debby Downer, but I don't think they can be replicated in a cost-effective manner.  The gen piece has so many subtle details that the rep would cost more than a good APROO and still have tells for miles.