When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3 Daytona Cases Comparison (DW, TW, Phong)

Valty

Hello RWG !

As promised few days ago, here is a little case comparison between :

- On the LEFT, DW case, gen T21, DW pushers, gen crown / tube, DW case back

- On the MIDDLE, TW case (origin unknown), rep T21, gen pushers, rep crown / tube, Phong case back

- On the RIGHT, Phong case, gen T21, Phong's pushers, rep crown / case, Phong case back

Please enjoy the photos...... :)

DSC_1891.JPG

DSC_1893.JPGDSC_1894.JPGDSC_1895.JPGDSC_1897.JPGDSC_1898.JPGDSC_1900.JPGDSC_1905.JPGDSC_1906.JPGDSC_1907.JPGDSC_1908.JPGDSC_1909.JPGDSC_1910.JPGDSC_1911.JPG

My real quick conclusions :

- The DW case is too fat / thick, and overall poor quality. Holes for pushers are rough & too deep. The case back is too thick. Pushers are bad quality. Holes for springbars are too small. Engraving is ridiculous (font, spacing, ...). Quality of metal is average. >>> 5/10

- The TW case (origin unknown) is a way better than DW case. Thickness is OK. Sides looks same as DW. Holes for pushers are wrong, too much deeper, abrupt too. There is a wrong "hole" for the crown - needs polishing a little. Engraving looks OK, but not gen like (too small). Lugs looks a little bigger than DW. Phong's back case for 6263 is not the same that the 6265... Holes for springbars are OK. Quality of the metal is perfect (brushed effect, etc.) >>> 8/10

- The Phong's case is by far the better case. Thickness is OK, the lugs are much thinner than the other cases. The sides looks thinner too. To me, it is a "little" too thin, but it's OK... Pushers are good quality. Holes for pushers are quite perfect. I love the brushed effect of the case back. Engraving are quite good ! Holes for springbars are OK. Quality of the metal is perfect (brushed effect, etc.) >>> 9/10

Hope you enjoyed this little review :)

Cheers !

R.

The other thing to consider in all these cases is the intended movement for the cases. The DW cases for 7750 movements tend to have the deeper case back. I have had the v72 and 7750 ones. For the money DW. You can modify it a bit and be happy. Just my two cents.

What movements are these cases in the comparison designed or intended for?

Nice comparison. While I do not disagree, the DW case still looks pretty damned good for the price.

DW is good for the price, I agree :)

The initial order of this thread is a comparison to the gen case :)

The other thing to consider in all these cases is the intended movement for the cases. The DW cases for 7750 movements tend to have the deeper case back. I have had the v72 and 7750 ones. For the money DW. You can modify it a bit and be happy. Just my two cents.

What movements are these cases in the comparison designed or intended for?

My cases are designed for v72(6)

Nice review, but a couple of comments are called for -

There are 2 versions of the DW cases - 1 for V72 & 1 for 7750. The latter has a deeper caseback, the former's caseback is the same size/dimensions as the gen.

Phong's pushers are the same as the current version gen (& Ofrei), but, from the 2 watches I have worked on, their internals were filthy & needed overhauling.

Anyone investing in a V72-based build, is going to replace whatever crown/tube comes with the case with gen parts. DW's cases usually (but not always) require tapping for proper fit of both crown/tube & pushers.

The 1 area where Phong's cases pull decisively ahead of DW's is for pump pusher-style cases (6239, 6241, etc). DW's cases are all cut for screw-style pushers, which leaves the indentation in the case a bit too wide for pump pushers, which are narrower. You can see what I mean on this DW 6239 case

048-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

This is a gen 6239 for comparison

RX6239-18K-YG-02.jpg?1337982515730

Phong's cases, like the gens, have a more accurate indent for pump pushers. Now whether this justifies the almost triple cost (over DW's case) is up to you. In my case, I went with DWs

after1.jpg

Also, most of Phong's Daytona dials are hideous, with crowns that look like they were carved by hand (by a blindman with the shakes).

Spectacular comparison, Valty! Phong is the clear 6263 winner, for many reasons.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that the Phong 6263 on the JAW website comparison didn't look very good to me. This case in your pictures looks much better.

Freddy: DW's last batch of cases featured tight countersinking for pump pushers that was substantially different from the wide indents on his 6263/6265s. Based on what I saw on the JAW website, I had believed that Phong got this detail wrong on his 6239 case (what I see are pump-pushers set in screw-down-size indents), but maybe I need to see some newer photos.

Nice review, but a couple of comments are called for -

There are 2 versions of the DW cases - 1 for V72 & 1 for 7750. The latter has a deeper caseback, the former's caseback is the same size/dimensions as the gen.

Phong's pushers are the same as the current version gen (& Ofrei), but, from the 2 watches I have worked on, their internals were filthy & needed overhauling.

Anyone investing in a V72-based build, is going to replace whatever crown/tube comes with the case with gen parts. DW's cases usually (but not always) require tapping for proper fit of both crown/tube & pushers.

The 1 area where Phong's cases pull decisively ahead of DW's is for pump pusher-style cases (6239, 6241, etc). DW's cases are all cut for screw-style pushers, which leaves the indentation in the case a bit too wide for pump pushers, which are narrower. Phong's cases, like the gens, have a more accurate indent for pump pushers. Now whether this justifies the almost triple cost (over DW's case) is up to you. In my case, I went with DWs

Also, most of Phong's Daytona dials are hideous, with crowns that look like they were carved by hand (by a blindman with the shakes).

I have specified the other parts on my cases used just for the information of couse ;) My objective was to review the external aspects of the cases. I wasn't in know about the Phong's pushers with problems... I bet he will replace any defective part easily, considering the price he is asking......

About the price asked - nothing justifies it to me... But he seems to be the only to do this kind of work... :( No competition on the work, no competition on the price...

And to be clear, I just like the Phong's cases. His crowns, tube, dials (especially), etc. are bad ! I just received a non-centered coronet on one of his crown recently...

I just hope this thread will helps the persons who have the budget, but are hesitating in their choice ;)

Spectacular comparison, Valty! Phong is the clear 6263 winner, for many reasons.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that the Phong 6263 on the JAW website comparison didn't look very good to me. This case in your pictures looks much better.

Freddy: DW's last batch of cases featured tight countersinking for pump pushers that was substantially different from the wide indents on his 6263/6265s. Based on what I saw on the JAW website, I had believed that Phong got this detail wrong on his 6239 case (what I see are pump-pushers set in screw-down-size indents), but maybe I need to see some newer photos.

In fact, it seems there is only few recent photos on his website... My 1665 case I received is not the same pictured... Same for my 6265 case...

About the Phong's 6239/41 cases, there is a lot of batches... I have seen good batches... and very wrong cases !!!

The better is to ask him photos of the case he will send, before ordering :) :) And always compare the photos to the gen case !!!

He is taking good photos on demand ! :)

Confirmed, got one of the last 6239 cases before DW went AWOL and it looks just like the gen. Probably only needs a little trimming around the crown area but otherwise really good. Was not as cheap, since the hands and dial which were promised never materialized...

BTW, thank you for the comparison Valty. Really appreciated.

Is this the correct crown for the Paul Newman?

I think no, as far as I know, the correct crown is the #24-700 for screwed pushers, or #24-600 for pump pushers.

Thank for all the comments guys :) :)

For an early pump-pusher, Brevet case, yes. Later pump cases had standard Twinlock crowns (single line instead of cross) & screw-pusher cases had either Twinlocks (early versions) or Triplocks (later versions).

Very interesting, I wasn't is know about the brevet crown ! I guess it is very rare to see this kind of bird on the internet... :) >>> EDIT : I am unable to find any infos about PN's with "+" crown ? Where do you seen that ?

Do you have more infos about the Triplocks crown used ? I suppose there is the 701's in the very late models, but 702's...?

For an early pump-pusher, Brevet case, yes. Later pump cases had standard Twinlock crowns (single line instead of cross) & screw-pusher cases had either Twinlocks (early versions) or Triplocks (later versions).

Brevet crown was up to what serial?

Where's the best source for a gen crown - brevet or 24-600.

Thanks

Brevet crown was up to what serial?

Where's the best source for a gen crown - brevet or 24-600.

Thanks

For the #24-600, VRF or eBay I suppose, they are relatively easy to find at a decent price :-) Do not forget to get the tube (#24-6000), too ;)

An addendum to Valty's great comparison, and also the one he made last year. Here are three flavors of DW cases, all unmodified.

From left to right: DW 6263 (c.2009), DW 6263 (2011), DW 6239 (2011)

i-cWGvQHH-X3.jpg

Note:

-The older 6263's flanks are about 0.2mm thinner at the middle.

-Smaller indents for the 6239.

-Newer 6263's indents touch the upper edge of the mid-case. In this respect, it's more accurate to the gen than the older case.

-Newer 6263 has more accurate pushers.

-Yes, I know steel bezels should be 6265s, but this case is engraved as a 6263 and DW owes me some acrylic bezels (among many, many other things).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice post Valty!

Freddy: DW's last batch of cases featured tight countersinking for pump pushers that was substantially different from the wide indents on his 6263/6265s.

Just to back up your post.

LHOOQ sold this case to me

i-PPqS386-X3.jpg

Obviously a lot tighter cut-outs on the pusher area

Edited by Akira

• 3 weeks later...