When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What new genuine "ww2 pilot" type watch for wedding?

Lunchtime

My female friend is looking for a new genuine watch priced between maybe EUR 650-1300 as a morning gift for her soon to become husband.

He has specifically said he likes the "WW2 pilot watch" style (and TAG-Heuer but I don't think those two combine but prove me wrong!).

Please help, hive mind of RWG!

Try Steinhart's line of pilot watches. http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/pilot-watch.html

But for their prices you can get a rep IWC Big Pilot rep with the same movement (or an asian clone) and have money left over to buy a decent strap.

Within the last month the rep factories have fixed the recessed datewheel, which was the biggest issue with the rep.

• Like 1

I tried to suggest a good rep too but that was out of the question as neither of them know of this "fake business" and it may have been a let down to try and explain this to him after getting the nice watch.

Steinhart is a great suggestion as far as I can tell, but even I have never heard of this brand before this week, so apart from "Swiss Made" it may not be that impressive a brand to them. But I'll suggest some models and send some links to her. Thanks.

Are there any other relatively "cheap" brands with a good heritage/brand with pilot's watches? Preferably something related to WW2?

Steinhart is a American/Swiss brand; many people on the other forums will sing their praises. But in the end they are an "homage" watch company. Look-a-likes with swiss movements are the bulk of their collections. More recently they have started making more original pieces and started passing the homages to their sister company Debaufre.

Alas there really aren't any Swiss or even German "cheap" brands dating to the WWII era anymore.

From what I've read the quartz revolution of the 1970s and 1980s really killed off dozens if not hundreds of small family owned brands and put thousands of watchmakers out of work.

Sad really, a watchsmith after years of training ends up change batteries and sizing bracelets to stay in business.

Several come to mind. I would second the Schuren. If they are not to your liking, there are a few more I would suggest looking at Zeno Watch, Vintage Heurer, Fortis and Hanhart. Google the various brands you see suggested here, look on Ebay, and from that you can get a better idea of what you are looking for.

One thing to keep in mind, some of the Pilot watches are pretty big. It would help to know what size the fellow is, and whether or not he prefers regular size (39-42mm or bigger sizes (44-48mm).

Excellent! A lot of suggestions to look through here. And as I suspected no TAG-Heuers in sight (which I think is a clue that this guy doesn't have much of a watch clue).

Thanks thus far. Off for googling.

There aren't any Tags, but some of the vintage Heuers are very, very nice. They are not new watches however. Some folks would never be happy with a "used" watch, so she (The bride to be) needs to make sure of that before she buys something.