When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP V3 Diver, what movt to get...

Hi Guys,

I am going to buy 2 divers(1 for me and 1 for a friend) and now i am thinking about what movt i should buy.

Normally i should go with swiss but since i heard good things about the asian's i am a bit confused... It would save me 180$...

Since the V3 is a good copy of the real diver i think the asian movt also should be a good copy...

What to do...?? Let me know what you think!

Hi Vinnie

I'm no expert but I always go for the Swiss movements where I can - just makes me feel safer about eh longevity of it. Although to confuse you more the one I have had no issues with at all and runs beautifully is an A7750 (not an AP Diver just to clarify) and that is supposed to be a nightmare movement.

So i think it depends who made it on what day!

can always get the asian and know you've saved far more than the cost of a service if it does go wrong for you. I tend ot keep mine for ages so again look for reliability but if you swap yours out regularly then you may have a different set of buying criteria.

But for me I'd go swiss.

These guys will be able to tell you much better than I whether the Asian movement is any good but to my mind the pain in the [censored] factor of having to get it serviced would make the swiss movement worth the money.

Which way are you likely to go?

Do you have any other AP reps yet or is this your first?

I guess most of the guys here will advise going with the asian 2824 movement for this Diver V3 as it has proved to be pretty reliable and if it does break down, the saving will be worth changing to a better then swiss in future.

There had been issues with the swiss sellita SW200 as it is also a clone less that its made in swiss, earlier batches had its problems of breaking down which there was known to have an upgrade as SW200-1.

In anyway, its probably important to service the movement once in a while to prolong its lifespan regardless of swiss or asian clones. (I have Gen Rolex that sort of break down as well without long period of maintenance)

Edited by kindred666

+1. All things being equal I used to go with Swiss until I concluded it was random luck whether your movement was assembled with care and that far outweighed which movement you pick. The service for these 3 hands are relatively inexpensive in any case and often when it does come time to service, if I am still in love with the rep, I will often upgrade to ETA.