When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1:1 replica box & rep - gen side by side comparison

Because a member was looking for more info on a rep AP box I am posting this. I thought I posted it here when I originally wrote it but apparently I did not. So here you go:

Hi there!

Because there is no detailed review of rep box set for AP around here afaik, I wrote this one. I would not expect much, I'm currently in my appartment where I study and don't have much useful stuff to take pics round here right now. Pics are taken with an iPhone.

This box can be bought at ReplicaMake. I'm sure other trusted dealers can get this box as well.

I got this from a Chinese bloke that sourced it for me, after I got to know it existed I informed Lay and asked him to upload it on his website. Shipped on the 22nd of December using Chinapost, received today (should have been yesterday if the postman wasn't too lazy to ring my bell!). No problems with customs, only had to pay €10 handling fee

Now the review,

We're talking about a rep box that has costed me $95 incl. shipment. The weight of everything together is heavy, gives a gen feel. This is my 2nd rep box (had an omega box, but sold it and bought the gen). I also had a gen Hublot box (for my Luna Rossa LE series) that I also sold. Now I bought this one out of curiosity and because I like watch box sets.

Here are some pictures (all pics are iPhonepics):

Looks like I've been to an AP Boutique (look at the misspelling of the 2nd A in Audemars)

d3436bca.jpg

248c8556.jpg

The outer box-printing looks spot on, crisp printing

a31c73f8.jpg

the box is nicely covered from dust

4af3f9d8.jpg

here it is, the box:

a953e701.jpg

902bc959.jpg

11c34520.jpg

the booklets:

68014c01.jpg

8c052ef6.jpg

the booklets are very well finished and have a high quality feel, they are heavy and full colour, I am very amazed by the finishing of it.

97bf945c.jpg

6e94b983.jpg

now back to the real stuff, printing on top is a bit too low as per gen (based upon pics) but very crisp although it's not a dial

47498e9a.jpg

nice underside huh,

b9c21960.jpg

inside:

first flaw is the logo, it's missing slogan "Le maître de l'horlogerie depuis 1875" under the logo but the printing is very crisp.

the pillow sits a bit too loose, but that does not bother me at all, the leather is also very well replicated

e8cb2abe.jpg

d33d2905.jpg

bb0d9808.jpg

closing&opening button functions well and looks well repped

9e8f238e.jpg

e271f771.jpg

8e58f46f.jpg

other flaw: the border around the part where the creamy leather is should have a wooden structure, this one hasn't, it's matte

de741ffe.jpg

ffc48d34.jpg

I guess you guys have seen the whole box by now happy.gif

1b6e5943.jpg

And a video for the interested ones (2min15, quite long for a box...):

th_b4345a58.jpg

I'm really glad I bought this box, it feels of good quality and looks just as good, it has it's flaws just like our watches, but imo the flaws are subtle.

Now a comparison between gen and rep box:

Gen on the right,

The outer box has a different finishing, the gen feels more rough, the rep is somewhat smoother, also notice the difference in colours. The logo positioning is spot on. Before I forget to mention, the weight of the boxes feels the same.

759ad64d.jpg

gen on the right,

when taking off the outer box you notice that the gen box is lighter than the rep box, the rep box sometimes looks black in some angles. The rep box looks more brownish, the gen box looks somewhat red-brownish. Also notice the difference in height concerning the logo positioning, the rep is lower than the gen.

0ae829e6.jpg

62a9006c.jpg

When opening the box you notice the biggest difference, the inside.

gen on the right:

c478b611.jpg

the biggest tell to me is the finishing of the wood (you need to look good, but on the gen you can see the "veins" of the wood, on the rep you see smooth finished edges. Also notice the difference in the leather, on the rep it looks somewhat brighter than on the gen:

Gen:

4b21566e.jpg

Rep:

a2db0a9f.jpg

Inner printing, the gen is better finished, the silver lettering reflects more than on the rep. (the missing text under the logo on the rep is not a flaw, some gen boxes come like this, however, even on the rep boxes there seem to be 2 versions, 1 with and 1 without text, I like the text better). Positioning is the same

gen:

aa58c5c4.jpg

rep:

6f49451a.jpg

Last comparison pics, the push-button on the boxes, on the gen it is smaller, the hole where the pin fit's is better finished on the gen. The pin on the rep is longer than on the gen. Notice the colour difference on these pics:

gen:

808490ff.jpg

rep:

61c79204.jpg

gen:

776f8ba4.jpg

rep:

a31a2bbe.jpg

Conclusion:

The rep box is close, very close, the flaws are small imo and the rep box is worth the money, offcourse if you can source a gen box like me you pay the same price (but you won't get any booklets).

Now, let's hope I receive my AP's soon... Been waiting since the 15th of December and man, that takes LONG!

Thanks for reading.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for re-up this old thread, but i would gift myself for XMAS with an AP (rep) box.

Which treusted dealer has the best -quality rep box ?

Many thanks,.

I think every dealer should be able to get them :). You can try Robbie @ aobobuy, I forgot his website though but great dealer for boxsets.