When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Abyss sufferig from weak crowns

Rolexman

Just minutes ago disaster struck.....

I was servicing my personal Abyss and just after I cased and uncased the movement for about a 100 times to get the crystal and dial dust free, I was nearly finished when I tried to screw down my crown. Nothing...

The threads on the inside of the crown stripped. From the start the crown would only screw done only 1 turn or so but that never bothered me. But the fact the threads on the inside of the crown are made of pudding do p!ss me off!

Who else has an Abyss and has crown issues? Do all Abyss' suffer from weak crown and / of short threads or is this related to the recent batches?.......

I remember a member posting a similar issue with a crown screwing downs only half a turn.

Yes, it's another notorious watch with a weak crown....just like the omega PO. There was even a sales thread recently where some guy was flipping a brand new abyss because it wasn't his style, it was at a good price, completely unused, then an hour into the sale he pulled it because the brand new watch crown failed when asked by a poster if he could check the crown action. :(

crappy thing to happen, I wish they would improve this issue, its seems to be really common and its a real pain in the ass to fix. Everytime I screw the crown down in my watches I am paranoid,

Edited by opti

Breitling parts are very very hard to get. Unless you know a breitling repair center who is a good friend and willing to help you off course.

+1

I have some connections but even they can't help me to obtain parts of current models.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Rolexman, I have both an abyss and an abyss chrono. Both of them have great crown and tubes and seem to have more threads and a longer tube than most reps. I have had your problem with other Breitling reps though. PS the fighter is doing great.

Hi Rolexman, I have both an abyss and an abyss chrono. Both of them have great crown and tubes and seem to have more threads and a longer tube than most reps. I have had your problem with other Breitling reps though. PS the fighter is doing great.

Thanks for the info. Apparently they updated the crown-tubes. Good news :)