When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Link to RWG on Ebay !

Fireman_Fred

This UK seller, advertising a genuine Omega on Ebay, has found some photos I posted on RWG of the same watch and has placed a link to my post on Ebay !!

Here's the Ebay listing: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

What a [censored] !!! I don't know how he found my post but it is a little worrying :huh:

Edited by Fireman_Fred

I tried moving the original thread to another section, thinking that would rename/renumber it, and break the eBay link. No dice.

Only way is to unapprove (hide) it until he edits his eBay listing to remove its reference. If you want to pursue that, shoot me a PM.

There you go again, being sensible! :p

Thanks for your advice, the listing expires very soon so I'll let it ride.

I did actually contact the guy and said that it was not a good idea to post a link on Ebay which directs people to a site which is predominantly concerned with replica watches. He completely missed the point and said, "Oh, I didn't realise yours was a replica". Even after I explained mine was genuine, he still left the link - Hey Ho ! :bangin:

This UK seller, advertising a genuine Omega on Ebay, has found some photos I posted on RWG of the same watch and has placed a link to my post on Ebay !!

Here's the Ebay listing: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

What a [censored] !!! I don't know how he found my post but it is a little worrying :huh:

All that a link is, is a pointer as to where to find something. You must remember that anything posted on the Internet is there for the whole world to see. He hasn't taken credit for your work - he is just telling people where to find it, and I don't see that there is anything wrong with that in principle. It is unfortunate drawing attention to this forum on e-bay but, taken out of context, he might not even realise that your pictures are on a rep forum. I would go along with the suggestion that you politely e-mail him and ask him to remove the link because it is inappropriate to be on e-bay.

All that a link is, is a pointer as to where to find something. You must remember that anything posted on the Internet is there for the whole world to see. He hasn't taken credit for your work - he is just telling people where to find it, and I don't see that there is anything wrong with that in principle. It is unfortunate drawing attention to this forum on e-bay but, taken out of context, he might not even realise that your pictures are on a rep forum. I would go along with the suggestion that you politely e-mail him and ask him to remove the link because it is inappropriate to be on e-bay.

I agree that he has probably stumbled across my post by doing a search and I have no problem with that (we all do it !), I also agree that he was probably unaware that RWG is a forum for replica watches. The point I was trying to make (badly) in my original post is that the way the internet works, it is a little worrying that people looking to buy a genuine watch on Ebay, (or any other site), can be unwittingly directed to a web site extolling the virtues of watches that are not "genuine".

The point I was trying to make (badly) in my original post is that the way the internet works, it is a little worrying that people looking to buy a genuine watch on Ebay, (or any other site), can be unwittingly directed to a web site extolling the virtues of watches that are not "genuine".

You are right about that. There are many, many problems in the way that the web works (in fact, don't get me started). Links on the web are indeed simply pointers to resources. They are completely dumb and have no idea of context - this is a very good example of where context is crucial in the interpretation of content. The problem is that the web was never designed to be what it is now - it has grown organically from very simplistic beginnings into a vast unwieldy monster. Far more sophisticated systems have been designed that do address these issues - but none of them have taken off like the web. This means that we are stuck with this sort of thing. You are right that it is scary, but it is a problem of the stupid way in which the system is designed rather than the (probably) well intentioned guy who put up the original link.

I had photos of an omega robbed before, from photobucket, silly me not making the folder private, they were used for a new listing. lazy bastards on ebay :) it's constantly happening on ebay these days. In fairness in this case he just referred to a website with example pics of the same watch he listed, not exactly the right thing to do and it's unfortunate it linked to a rep site, but nobody probably noticed. At least he didn't directly reuse the photos on the listing and claim it was his own watch.

At least he didn't directly reuse the photos on the listing and claim it was his own watch.

That would be a completely different thing. Stealing someone else's photos is rude, to say the least, not to mention illegal. However, I really don't see that there is ever anything wrong with providing a link to material that someone has chosen to publish on the Internet. If it is publicly available on the Internet, then it is intended for people to see - all that a link is doing is helping people to find it. If you don't want people to see your photographs, then don't post them somewhere that it is publicly available. The important thing is that the link was to a thread - so the photographs could be seen in their original context, and it was obvious who the author is. It is unfortunate that he was linking to a rep site, but as has already been said he probably just googled this and may well not have realised that it is a rep site (or even understood the significance). However, I don't see that there is any harm done. Mind you, if the OP strongly objects, I still suggest an e-mail to him to politely ask him not to do that. The watch didn't sell, so it might well be re-listed at some point.

Is it not possible to have Apache, or whatever you use here, disable external hot links for images?

That would be the easiest way to prevent blatant hot-linking

This guy wasn't hot linking. The link that he provided was to the entire thread. If the board is visible to non-members (which it is) then there isn't anything wrong with that, and it is also impossible to prevent. The board could, of course, be set so that it is only visible to members who log in and that would prevent this sort of thing. That is a policy decision for the board owners, though.